Why HR

I studied music in college. My dream was to play bass trombone in the NY Philharmonic. Knew I'd never make it. Ended up in the electronics industry, now in HR. This quote sums it up.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I studied Office Administration (a catch-all title I've discovered) in College and that's what I've been doing since.

Other than the one in my profile, the following quotes are in my file of favorites.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these."
    ~George Washington Carver

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    ~Winston Churchill

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian
    any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger."
    ~Keith Green

• I was pre-law at Portland State and pledged Tappa Kegga Brew. During one of our Friday night keggers, it was suggested that HR was a great field if you like to work nine to five and have weekends free. x;-)
  • Ray sounds depressed. I am going to refer him to his own EAP.
  • Our EAP covers only drug and alcohol abuse.
  • Then go abuse some alcohol. That'll either cure your depression or qualify you for the EAP.
  • Nah, too many good musicians have died that way. I'd recommend the EAP (Easy As Pie).
  • I studied biochemistry in school and flunked out on advanced calculus and chemistry (I was more interested in ... people). So I did the secretary thing for years, fell into IT due to accrued skills, then was squeezed into HR because a former supervisor was retiring from HR.

"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z, where x is work, y is play, and z is keeping your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." Anon.

"If you don't like the way things are going around you, adjust your attitude and notice the difference." Anon.
  • I worked in various accounting offices until I decided that I could do what the accountant was doing and earn more money. They wanted a degree first so I went at night while I kept my job.

Somehow I ended up supervisor, and when we downsized I was the only one left to do the work of the department. That included payroll. Why that meant I should also be the HR person, I don't really know. But it did. Fortunately, I found this site, take some great subscriptions, and get help from my local SHRM chapter.

Life never works out how you expect it to, but it always works out.

Nae