New York

Hi all:

This August hubby and I are going to one of those self-improvement/enrichment things in the Catskills (ok, so now you know why I signed up). We need to arrive Sunday afternoon, so we thought we might check out NYC while we are so close.

Neither of us has ever been there, and we are a little lost about how to get things set up. We would like to arrive Friday night and stay 2 nights before heading up to the Catskills.

We would like to see some of the major sites, but have no idea about how much time we should plan for, or where we should stay. If you know NYC (by living there or visiting frequently) could you give me some tips?

I assume we should plan on Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and perhaps a ride in Central Park. What else? Should we not bother with one or more of these? How much time is involved, and is there a way I can find out ahead of time the costs involved?

Should we stay in Manhattan, or somewhere else?

As I said, I am a bit lost. Any direction would be very helpful.

Nae

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-06 AT 07:43AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I’m hoping that Whatever or another New Yorker will chime in and give you (and me too!) the native perspective, but I have been to NYC many times as a visitor -- five times in the past four years and numerous times in the more distant past.

A lot depends on what you care to spend. Stay in Manhattan and use one of the discount hotel websites (priceline, expedia, hotels.com, etc.) to try to find something relatively affordable, emphasis on “relatively.” I haven’t been to Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty, and have it found it better to walk than carriage ride through Central Park. Our New York activities consist primarily of walking-walking-walking and museums during the day and going to the theatre at night. The theatre is one of our main reasons for going, so we try to see three to four shows during each trip (our record was five shows in five days). We just went three weeks ago, and saw Spamalot, The Light in the Piazza, and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee – all musicals and all good, but Spamalot was the best if you have a Monty Python kind of sense of humor. Probably the hottest things on Broadway right that we haven’t seen are Wicked and Sweeney Todd. These are just my opinions based on personal taste, but 10 other people will give you 10 other opinions. New York is so full and layered and wonderful that there’s more than you can do in a lifetime!

• Whatever is the best person to answer your question. I haven't been near The City since 1968. But, if I were to go, Broadway would be high on my list, but the number one reason would be to attend a concert at Avery Fisher Hall.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-06 AT 08:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If it's hot and muggy,try a museum-Natural History,
    Metropolitan, MOMA, Intrepid). New York is a walking city-Central Park (including the zoo,)(if you can get tickets, which are free and given out on the day of the performance,go to Shakespeare in the Park (it's outdoors and there are usually famous actors performing), Times Square (the Hershey store, tkts-tickets for about half price, the ambiance), lower Manhattan-the oldest part of the city- (ground zero, Broadway,the promenade in Battery Park City, the Battery, Trinity Church-Washington prayed here- and its cemetary, St. Paul's Church), the view of the city from the Empire State Building on a clear day is phenomenal. If your willing to leave Manhattan-The Bronx Zoo, the Brooklyn Museum.
    Check with the concierage at your hotel, there are many organizations (like the Historical Society) that give walking tours of areas that are both cheap and informative. Also, there are usually free outdoor concerts many evenings in places like Lincoln Center.
    There are tour buses, which you can get on and off at various stops.
    Try the Web for costs-NYC has to have a site for Tourists.
    This should keep you busy.

• For the two days you will be there here's what I would recommend to see as much of the "landmark" sights.....a very comfortable pair of walking shoes!!!....Rockefeller center gets you the infamous gold statue and the ice skating rink (although there probably won't be any ice but it is neat to see it), while there the Rockefeller building itself is impressive. Step inside and see the gold deco lobby and there are also shops and restaurants there. Then just down the street is the NBC store (across from the studios). Times Square is really neat to see for the first time at night and there are numerous restaurants/shops there as well. This is close to the Broadway district too. Empire state building is also do-able but give yourself time for this and make sure it is a clear day/night (you can see the statue of Liberty from here). It can get crowded and you can stand in line for a while to get up to the top after you stand in line to purchase your ticket! Inside Grand Central station (Metlife building)is great to see (also shops/restaurants) and is right across the street from the Chrysler building which is impressive as well (step into the lobby!). If you have time, you could take in Central Park which is just a short stroll (by NYC standards about 20 something blocks) down the Avenue of the America's (more walking!)All of this is Manhatten so it keeps you from too much traveling (which can get very interesting)outside of that area. Ellis island is great but may take too much time for the 2 days your there. I'm not sure if you can even get on the island where the statue is, I know for a while, you couldn't. Check out a NYC website for info on tickets for things that you may need to pre-order for some Broadway shows.
    Have fun!
  • Agree with everything already mentioned, especially visiting the numerous top quality museums.

Also, check with your concierage about getting "two-for" tickets to Broadway shows. I would recommend going to see some of the more established, long-running shows rather than the newest, hottest shows. You have a limited amount of time and perhaps money (NY can be very expensive); go for what you know you'll enjoy. I would much rather go for a guaranteed delight and see "The Producers", even off Broadway, than bet on a new hit. You don't have to go to the premier Broadway theaters. In NY even the off Broadway shows (and caliber of performers) far exceed what is the norm anywhere else in the country.

As far as Central Park goes, I agree with the above that you should walk it during the day, But a horse drawn carriage ride through the park at night can be a very romantic experience. And I still enjoy lunch or dinner at Tavern On The Green.

Don't forget a visit to China Town for a great lunch or dinner.

Yes, I do love NY!