The high cost of smoking

Many of my family members have been addicted to smoking (my mom for 44 yrs). I've hated watching what it has done to them physically and financially. I'll share this article with them too. It sounds like food for thought at least.
Cheryl C.

[b]The high cost of smoking[/b]

These days, smoking can even cost you your job, not to mention the expense of cigarettes, dry cleaning and insurance. But a 40-year-old pack-a-day smoker who quits and puts the savings into a 401(k) earning 9% a year will have $250,000 by age 70.

By Hilary Smith

If the threat of cancer can't convince you to quit smoking, maybe the prospect of poverty will.

The financial consequences of lighting up stretch far beyond the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Smokers pay more for insurance and lose money on the resale value of their cars and homes. They spend extra on dry cleaning and teeth cleaning. Long term, they earn less and receive less in pension and Social Security benefits. And now, being a smoker can not only mean you don't get hired -- you can get fired, too: Weyco Inc., a medical benefits administrator in Okemos, Mich., after announcing it would no longer employ smokers, fired four employees who refused to submit to a breath test.

The American Civil Liberties Union’s (ACLU) National Workrights Institute estimates that more than 6,000 companies refuse to hire smokers. A few examples:
Kalamazoo Valley Community College in Michigan stopped hiring smokers for full-time positions at both its Michigan campuses;

Alaska Airlines, based in Washington State, requires a nicotine test before hiring people;

The Tacoma-Pierce County (Wash.) Health Department has applicants sign an "affidavit of nontobacco use;"

Union Pacific won’t hire smokers;

Montgomery County, Pa., tries to cutting health-care costs by refusing to hire smokers.
The cost don’t stop with your paycheck. New CDC figures assert that smokers cost the economy nearly $94 billion yearly in lost productivity. An additional $89 billion is estimated spent on public and private healthcare combined. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids Taxpayers says each American household spends $596 a year in federal and state taxes due to smoking.

Some of these numbers are disputed, however, by the Bureau of National Affairs which says 95% of companies banning smoking report no financial savings and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce which finds no connection between smoking and absenteeism.

For the rest of the article, go to:
[u][url]http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourhealth/P100291.asp[/url][/u]

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think that the reason that companies say there is no cost savings is that it is hard to quantify. The increased costs are just lost in the total premium that an insurance company charges, and it's made even more difficult by the continual increases that we expect every year.
  • I held my Mom in my arms for the last 40 minutes of her life while she was drowning in her own lung fluid. She was reaching out to me, as a drowning person might, as she tried in vain to breath in the air that was all around her. All I could do was hang on to her, and tell her I loved her. I still have dreams about it on occasion. She smoked for 60...SIXTY....years, so I guess we shouldn't have been surprised when the lung cancer surfaced. However, it was a gruesome and terrifying way to die. I've always felt that a video tape of those last 40 minutes would stop anyone from lighting another cigarette.
  • I'm sorry for your loss Crout...especially since I know how much it hurts to see your mom gag and gasp for breath.

It's been an ugly affair and she knows it has done nothing but hurt her physically and financially. She spends $60-$80 every 2 weeks on cigarettes. We show her lots of love and attention as often as possible, but it sure would be nicer to visit with her without the smoke swirling around me, making me cough and how my clothes smell when I leave her apartment.

I sure do wish you had that video to share. I'd give anything to see her quit and start enjoying life. She's always been such a prisoner.

Cheryl C.
  • Interesting article -- I am sharing it with the rest of our corporate management team.

Yesterday, our Governor announced that state employees will no longer be able to smoke on any state campuses (the grounds around the buildings). I would like to see us do that too.

My brother committed suicide at age 59 after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He saw the inevitable and at the end of one long nite, he took a gun and his portable oxygen cart, went out the front door of his home to his garden shed behind the house, and shot himself. The shot woke up his wife and daughter. My mother will never recover from the thought that one of her children suffered to the point of taking his own life.

I only wish I could get the point across to our employees who smoke, especially those who are so young and have so much ahead of them.
  • I too just do not understand. I have never smoked, so therefore, I am told, that I will never be able to understand how hard it is to quit. Both of my parents have smoked all of their lives. They are now in their upper 70's. They were both on duty the night my Dad's older sister passed awasy due to lung cancer and they were holding her as she tried to catch her last few breaths. Dad has had two open heart surgeries, Mom has had both breast removed and is on oxygen; yet they both continue to smoke constantly. Their grandkids truly dislike being around them due to the smoke and the smell of their home. Not be mention how we all smell after a visit. We just continue to love them and keep them in our prayers....
    Good luck