Response to Why We Hate HR Article

Just got the new issue of Fast Company and the editorial section had feedback letters from readers. The one they chose to place on top in larger type reads:

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed "Why We Hate HR" (August). This has been a long time coming, and I'm glad that someone has finally come forward and told it like it is. I've risen to a fairly high level in corporate America, and HR has alwasy been a thorn in my side every step of the way. It could be something as simple as hiring the candidate I want. It's almost as if they dont't want to be left out of a process that they have nothign to do with. We've come to the evolutionary point where HR has become obsolete; any competent department manager shoudld be able to perform these duties.

It lists his name and email address.

HOWEVER the next paragraph states:

Editor's Note: Our August cover story on HR received an astounding volume of mail, running 43% in favor of our story and 57% against.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Employees (managers) with an attitude like that are what give me job security.
  • I agree. It is assclowns like the one who wrote that editorial that usually end-up on the receiving end of million-dollar punitive verdicts and then have the audacity to blame the very same people they despise for not having put in measures to prevent or stop the carnage. Like an old friend used to say "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t".
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-05 AT 06:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I remember about 15 years ago when my job description included:

Advertising for open positions,
    Instructing new employees to complete benefits forms,
    Submitting hours to payroll or entering and running payroll,
    Issuing new employee handbooks to all employees when updated by corporate,
    Organizing company events such as picnics and holiday parties,
    Making sure department heads were notified of staff due for performance appraisals,
    Typing and posting notices as directed,
    Filing workers comp claims,
    Completing employment verification forms,
    Maintaining employee rolodex file,
    Other job related tasks as assigned.

Much different now:

Stay apprised of best practices to effectively recruit and retain employees,
    Routinely review and recommend changes to the company's group health plans while considering the economic impact to both the company and the employee,
    Stay apprised of the FLSA and audit hours submitted to payroll; notify and educate department heads on proper scheduling practices,
    Design, update, maintain the employee handbook,
    Designate a committee to organize the employee appreciation banquet,
    Assure timely and accurate employee appraisals,
    Issue notices to department supervisors to be posted on departmental bulletin boards,
    Design and oversee the Risk Management/Safety programs of the company,
    Appear at all unemployment claims and court hearings,
    Act as employee advocate in matters relating to Title VII,
    Train department heads on Interviewing, Hiring, Firing, Harassment, Documentation, Discipline, Workplace Violence, Grievances, Workplace Safety . . . . . ,
    Act as chief negotiator in collective bargaining meetings.

I think the author is lost somewhere in the early 80's before FMLA, ADA, . . . . . .

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-28-05 AT 04:09AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hey, what's cognitive perception? Yeah, Beag! He called me 'short' one time too!
  • What??? You guys get alerts at your bedside when someone posts??? What do the rest of us have to do to stay up with what's going on?

Get some sleep! You'll all be in a better mood during the day.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-28-05 AT 07:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]BETTER MOOD???? I'M IN A FINE MOOD!!!!

x:-)