Things I have learned recently

Things I have learned from watching the news on TV during the last eight days:

The hurricane only hit black families' property.

New Orleans was devastated and no other city was affected by the hurricane .

Mississippi is reported to have a tree blown down.

New Orleans has no white people.

The hurricane blew a limb off a tree in the yard of an Alabama resident.

When you are hungry after a hurricane, steal a big screen TV.

The hurricane did 23 billion dollars in improvements to New Orleans. Now the city is welfare, looters and gang free and they are in your city .

White folks don't make good news stories.

Don't give thanks to the thousands that came to help rescue you, instead b*tch because the government hasn't given you a debit card yet.

Only black family members got separated in the hurricane rescue efforts.

Ignore warnings to evacuate and the white folks will come get you and give you money for being stupid.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "When you are hungry after a hurricane, steal a big screen TV"

As Jimmy would say, "Some things are still a mystery to me, like why people live like they do"

I guess I'll never be a criminal - I just didn't get it either, when I saw people stealing tvs!

I think your post shows the sympathy level for New Orleans waning a bit. It looks like a backlash is on its way.

• What I saw on Fox news was slightly different. The black looters were described as "looting." The white looters were described as "gathering emergency supplies." No, I can't tell you the exact date and time that I saw it, but I did. And no, I'm not related to Ted Kennedy, and I'm not a member of the communist party, nor any radical fringe group founded by Gillian, although as I've said, if invited I would consider attending, depending on the beverages served.
  • They have this one Snopes. People were saying that this was a prime example of racial stereotyping, etc. (whatever other buzzwords the liberals like to use to show that we are attacking the downtrodden). In actuality, the pictures were taken by two separate news services, without knowledge of the other. The editors made the selection, along with input from the photographers, about how to word the captions. For the white people, the photographer was not comfortable usng the word "looting" because he did not witness them taking the items. The photographer that took the pitcure for the black people saw them take the items from the store. Hence, he was fine with using the word "looting." The "neutral media," I know that term is an oxymoron, grabbed the two pictures and began running them together. Makes for good news to stir the pot and is fuel to further the ideology of the left.
  • I didn't see either of those news episodes you describe, but I can't help but wonder....There is a difference, taking tvs IS LOOTING, taking only the food you need to survive is well, survival. The person doesn't intend to do it again. THe looter definately intends to take more than just a tv and to do it again. Was the "looting" caption applied to those shown taking tvs and like items?
  • I found out why they stole the TV's and how they are rationalizing it as being OK.

Listening to Stern this morning on the way to work. A 34 year old black woman named Shirley called in to say her husband took a truck to a store that had a foot of water in it. They took about $50,000 worth of equipment including 42" Plasma TV's and the like.

Some of it is listed on Ebay, but she wanted to sell the items to Sterns listeners during the show.

Howard upbraided her about being a thief and how could she live with herself; wasn't the store owner a victim too?, etc etc.

She said - look, the store is completely underwater now - most people were not covered for flood insurance or flood insurance would not cover these types of items - so the fact that the owner lost goods to looting meant he would be covered by insurance whereas if he lost the stuff to flooding he would not.

She was completely OK with it because they needed it to survive. The TV was $900 bucks and she would ship it.
  • That's still why I don't have a criminal mind. Where was the stuff stored if everything was under water? How did she advertise it on ebay if her computer is waterlogged, no phone lines or electiricity?

I still don't get it.
  • We had a family's plight of the hurrican in N.O. and having to relocate to another state in listed the city newspaper. The dad said a minister at the local church they had attended Sunday offered them housing, rent fee, for 3-4 months. Dad said they had a 2 bedroom apartment in N.O. and would like something bigger now, for the 7 family members. Rent free, I'd jump at the chance, find a job and move to a bigger place. I don't understand that way of thinking.
  • I could argue that I saw a picture of a guy looting Heinekens. He appeared white but a little suntanned. He had a mullet.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-21-05 AT 12:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]In regard to the Heinekens, I was no where near New Orleans when the storm hit!!! The very idea!

Also marc, I heard that segement on Howard Stern this morning, but did not recall that the person who called was black. In fact, she sounded to me like a southern white person. Was she identified as black?
  • I did not hear the very beginning, but I thought she identified herself and her husband as black.

The real issue is not race, but the total disregard for others property and the thought process rationalizing their looting.

If I recall, Stern chastised them for loading their truck with electronics rather than people or pets needing rescue, and the lady thought it was OK as long as the insurance company would pay for any loss to the owner, who would otherwise be stuck with a loss not covered by insurance - as though she even knows what was happening with this business.

And of course, it's as if none of the rest of us will bear any burden because insurance costs will not go up all over the country. It's OK, as long as they get theirs, which was really someone elses.
  • Now there's a criminal mind with practice. I'm stunned that a thief can rationalize with that. I would never have thought that it was okay since insurance would cover the theft and the goods would have otherwise been sacrificed to no avail under the flood waters. That's an amazing, pre-calculated thought.

There's a time to steal. I would steal bread to feed a starving dying child. Maybe I'm stupid. Stealing a tv, selling it on ebay for $900 would buy lots of bread for lots of people. This person is looking at the big picture - pun intended.
  • You know, one of the aspects of the 9/11 disaster that didn't get a lot of press was that in the days following the attack there was a considrable amount of looting going on at the World Trade Center site. Many of the buildings surrounding the area were evacuated due to damage. The thing was, the looting was being perpetrated by the police, firefighters, and other emergency personnel working in the area. It didn't get a lot of coverage in the media because that kind of story just wouldn't "sell" at that point in time.
  • Interesting article on MSN.com concerning criminal checks on evacuees. A few weeks ago, Mass Governor Romney has a check run on the evacuees who came to Mass., those who didn't have ids were fingerprinted. Six were sex offenders and one had an outstanding warrant for rape. Since they, others states have been doing the same and coming up with similar findings. Civil libertarians and the ACLU is stating the checks are "thinly veiled race and class discrimination against people who have suffered already." If nothing was done, and people were harmed by these criminals, the same groups would be up in arms that people weren't being protected.
  • Several weeks after my parents were able to move back home after 9/11, the Red Cross called on the facility to offer (actually to plead to give) money to the inhabitants to help pay their rent. My parents (among others) refused on the grounds that they were back home paying the same rent they had paid before and the money should be used for those who were still displaced. However, a few people took the money.
  • Back in the day (and I mean way back), an obscure group of musicians came out with song lyrics:

"G@d da*&it, real compared to what?"

OR is this just another reference to Venus and Mars?
  • I am thoroughly amused by the indication that "HR" and "reality" are mutually exclusive. x:D