Being kicked out...

Hello everyone!

This is a personal problem I am having...Last week I was on a cruise - when I got home I had two letters on my door. The first one said "We are changing our name to...everything will be the same...blah, blah, blah. The second letter said. Sorry, but we are not renewing your lease that ends 10/31/05. Here's my dilema...

In the St. Pete/Clearwater are of Florida nice apartment's are hard to find. I found a couple but they only have availibilty the end of Sept and end of Nov. I called the rental office and she stated "sorry, if you leave in september you are responsible for Oct rent. And we are only extending the leases through the 10th day of November." Does anyone know of any loophole or something so I won't have to throw away $800 for Oct rent?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Shelley

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 1. Read your lease carefully. 2. Read it again. Talk to a friend who is an attorney. If your lease contains an escape clause for being transferred, get a letter on your company letterhead to that effect. Scruples are not called for when dealing with the unscrupulous.
  • Leave in Sept and see how serious they are about collecting Oct rent. Under the circumstances, I'd bet a Judge would be sympathetic. It's not like they gave you a ton of notice. Give them notice immediately, and mayb e at worst, you're liable for 7 days of Oct instead of whole mo.
  • Generally 30 days' notice is the key and they have given you more than that. (I've been in these shoes - they stink!) In such a business move (name change & transfer of ownership) they may be cancelling the leases of long time tenants to raise the rents (been there too). They probably don't have all the apartments leased yet, though. If you found a place that's available the end of November, see if you can bargain for a week or 10 days at a pro-rated or month-to-month rate. Otherwise, you may have to pack up and put your stuff in storage and bunk at a hotel, a relative or a friend's for a couple of weeks. There are places where you can get a container and move all your furniture, boxes, etc. into it and they will store it for a period and then move it into your new place and you don't have to pack twice. Two friends did that and it relieved the stress of the double move. (Keep some clothes out!) Good luck!