Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I thought long and hard about responding to this. I am not trying to be rude or ugly, but what exactly is this supposed to do for me? Or anyone in NO? What about Biloxi or Dauphin Island? They didn't have barriers to protect them? Are we somehow responsible for that destruction as well? Why don't we all do something helpful instead of pointing fingers? My place of employment has adopted a school that took in 400 extra students this week. We are also a collection point for Red Cross.
    Besides, the NYTimes article states they were suprised about the 17th Street levee breaking as it had just been upgraded with "vertical concrete wall several feel thick." And this was the levee that had received the "most attention".
    I'm not an engineer (obviously) but I can't imagine any man-made construction would have withstood the wrath of Katrina.
  • Dianne,

Everyone I know is having a hard time finding the words to describe the storm and its aftermath. Your reaction to the tragedy is to be commended and hopefully it will be duplicated a million times over by all caring people.

Your questions and observations are all good ones and I don’t pretend to have any answers.

I hope that you don't think that I was being rude or ugly by posting the articles -- there are several more out there this morning in a variety of publications. I posted the articles without comment because while one had to know that it would only be a matter of time before the situation was politicized; I just didn’t think that it would happen so soon and while I don't know enough about the situation to have an opinon -- I was anticipating that others might.

Geno

• Geno, you're not asking me but I didn't think it was rude or ugly for you to post that. You're right -- it was just a matter of time. And Dianne's right: What good will it do the victims of Katrina? And maybe it seems callous to be conducting this type of "post mortem" while the disaster is still very much in progress. Nevertheless, I found that I couldn't stop reading the lengthy blog that followed the first article, and I learned a lot on both sides of the argument. Thanks for sharing the links.
  • Geno,

I did not think you were being rude by posting. I, just like everyone else, just feels frustrated. Our corporate office has 8 employees who live in NO and who are now not only without a home, but possibly without a job. (They are all accounted for). Who knows what will happen next. It seems complete anarchy in the city. It's so easy for us to sit back and say "they should have done this or they need to do that". We rely so much on the media and the media has to fill 24hrs worth of programming. It's just agonizing.
  • Information is always helpful. We probably all have mixed emotions about what is going on, but clearly the human suffering is what needs to be addressed in the short term. I am just so sick of the media already pointing fingers and incessantly focusing on the '...they arn't doing enough...' It is also hard not to follow all of our sympathetic hand wringing with a '...but...what do you expect if you live several feet below sea level in a highly prone castastrophic geographical area...' As Crout says on another thread: It's our character, we always rebuild. Well, once the suffering is minimized, maybe we should look at whether or not we don't suffer a collective character defect. Sooner or later this will happen again, and the construction to provide cat 5 protection is economically 'infeasible' and in any event guranteed to fail sooner or later. Private business couldn't, and wouldn't if it could, stand the costs of protection. Maybe government, (us) shouldn't either. I agree that people should be able to do with their own property what they reasonably want to do with it. If it is not reasonable, or, if they insist anyway, maybe we should stop bailing out their foolishness by enabling them to repeat it. Certainly, we have to rescue even the idiots who go out on unstable ice floes or into the mountains unprepared, but perhaps we should stop underwriting their efforts to continue to do so. I have been to NO 6 times and it is not only one of my favorite places,but an historical, cultural natural treasure. But it can never truly be replaced. We lose loved ones, we grieve, but we can't replace, and ultimately, we move on. Maybe fault line, volcano, guranteed flood areas should just be abandoned to nature. As horrible as what happened is, I fear it will be a minor blip on the castrophe scale when the great west coast disaster occurs, and we all know it will. I don't have answers, and my opinions are neither fully informed nor formed, but I wonder......
  • I read just a little of the first link; but, frankly I am too drained emotionally and physically to have read further or even care about the political angles of the large mess we all have down here. I am one of the fortunate ones who is still alive and my family is alive. My mother is 86 and I take her stuff to eat every day 15 miles away. Her power is out too. I've learned to live with 100 degree nights and shaving with a candle and not giving a sh*t if my socks match when I get to work or not. Literally not caring. 3:30 this morning was way too early to be sitting in a four mile long line of dark cars at a truck stop hoping a tanker would pull in. I screamed at a women yesterday for letting people in line at another gas station and locked my doors when she headed my way. I'm sure nobody will be surprised to learn I am a fairly impatient man with a fuse normally about an inch long and now I can't even find it.

A man from California called one of the local radio stations here yesterday. The station spends day and night uniting people who are frantic to find loved ones, and announcing helpful things. The man from California commented on national guard troops from Mississippi deployed in Iraq and asked what we were going to do about that since we needed our own guard on our own coast.

How helpful do any of you think that man's political commentary was?

Now for a political comment of my own. Where are the liberal Hollywood actors who staged for Sunami? Where is Bruce Springsteen and Joan Baez and Barbra Streisand and Jaon Jett and the new wave of Austrailian American-wannabees? Where is Bill Clinton? Where is......what the hell difference does it make. I think I'll go out in the plant and tell somebody not to worry.

• I can't watch the finger pointing anymore. It's pretty much useless. Katrina happened and something else is going to happen sometime, somewhere and the politicians will get blamed for that too.

Help is on the way. Monday the sheriff's department staged a collection and filled 2 semi's and sent them on their way and yesterday 4 radio stations got together & held a 13 hour marathon and raised over $200,000 and filled 6 semi's and sent them south today. I'm not sure where they're going, but I'm sure it's happening all over the country. Unfortunately, it takes a day or two to mobilize these drives and get the help sent which as we're seeing on TV is too slow.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who's affected by Katrina.
  • A couple days ago I read of a far right wing religious group that was blaming Katrina on the gays and other perceived low lifes. Now we have people blaming George Bush. Two weeks ago we had high winds in NY resulting in my house losing roof shingles. I had to have my house completely reshingled - I'll send the bill to Bush, he must be at fault since there are no gays that I know of in the neighborhood. NPR had a segment on this morning that was nearly fair and balanced. They quoted several people giving their opinions on whether or not the levee maintenance was sufficiently funded. A guy from the Army Corp of Engineers, who was directly responsible, said the levees were maintained to the proper levels for a Cat. 3 storm, which was exactly what was required. The White House response was proper, now is not the time to point fingers.
  • We've heard for a year or so that 90% of the crime in the Chicago area is due to the unregulated weapons pipeline directly from Mississippi since we have God-awful things like gun shows where people can buy weapons. Well, this should dry up the crime in Chicago since no weapons will flow to the north for some time.

And the drug traffic will dry up in Miami, Atlanta and Charlotte, since it has been said that all the dope flows through Texas and Mississippi on Interstate 10 and Highway 90. Highway 90 exists no more and interstate 10 is a wasteland in large segments. So, no more dope will be available.

And for those sports fans among you, you can safely bet that the Saints will not lose a home game all year long!

• God lov ya Don, still that great sense of self deprecating humor! My wife, about whom I am occasionally surprised knows anything about sports except tennis (she was a coach) quipped last night when someone suggested we take some of the unfortunates and house them in the Silver Dome (the Lions former home) because the Lions were no longer using it: "Heck, put them in Ford Field (Lion's present home) they're not using it anyway - and the Lions could stop losing at least their home games."
    I hope some of the celebrity and sports mega millionaires are stepping up to the plate, and they may be doing so without fanfare. Our small town paper has been running stories of how regular folks are helping, but I know it will take days to really get meaningful help there. The stories of self sacrifice under horrific conditions though do renew one's faith in the compassion and resiliency of most folks. Hang in there buddy!
  • This catastrophe is gut-wrenching to watch. The devastation in Mississippi is awful enough, but the slow-motion disaster in New Orleans is horrific. I just hope we can finally get enough relief forces and supplies to put an end to the horrible conditions the refugees face.

Yes, the hurricane damage was inevitable. You have a coastal city that's below sea level and gets lots of hurricanes. I've spent half my life living in beach towns, and hurricanes are a risk you live with, like tornados in Kansas or earthquakes in California.

When New Orleans rebuilds, I hope it will take precautions, like stronger levees and filling in low-lying areas. But you can spend billions of dollars and still be vulnerable.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Dear Lord, if I-10 and Hy 90 shut down that means dope is gonna be more expensive right along with gas and everything else! Sweet Tomasso!!! Hang in there Don boy. You're a tough SOB. It's gonna take more than a hurricane to take you down.
  • Finger-pointing aside, the magnitude of this tragedy was brought home to all of us here at Corporate in Portland, Oregon from an e-mail from our General Manager at our hotel near Birmingham, Alabama. We have been a large contingent of displaced people staying with us. An excerpt of her e-mail to me this morning:

"This is the most catastrophic event I
    have ever witnessed. Yes, 9/11 was horrific, but at least homes were not
    destroyed. In addition, many of these families have to start over - finding
    housing, jobs, and schools. Several of them only have a couple of changes
    of clothes and a few toiletry items. I have witnessed so much humanity in
    the last couple of days, from churches and individuals providing our guests meals,
    toiletry items, toys, and even some room nights for these "refugees". See the
    two pictures attached from the bbq dinner that was provided last night in
    our gathering room from Valley Creek Baptist Church and Bob Sykes BBQ. I
    have personally heard the stories of devastation, loss of loved ones, and
    uncertainty when they can return or if they have a home to return to. It is
    sobering. Today, I got to witness a reunion of a daughter and
    father. Tears flowed."

• I do not wish to compare 9/11 to Katrina because both are nightmares but in different ways. However, your general manager is wrong about 9/11. Many families had to start over-schools were contaminated, jobs were lost, housing was contaminated. My parents (both in their 80s) were evacuated at 7 p.m. on 9/11 with just the clothes they wearing. Fortunately for them, the city was able to get water to them while they waited.
    I am just hoping that the death total is considerably less in the Gulf States than here.
    And, if the government ever gets it act together, it is amazing what great things can be accomplished.
  • Several things amaze me about Katrina. First that anyone would make the mental leap that George Bush is responsible for New Orleans woes, that anyone is responsible for that matter. No one is responsible, it just happened!!!!!

Second, who would have thought that water could bring down a city or do more damage than a bombing could!!! I hope dear old Osama is not watching and learning. Who would have thought that if only he had just flooded New York City and Washington DC that it would have been more effective?

Third, there really is a contrast in leadership-Louisianna's leadership compared to New York CIty's leadership. I'd take the leadership in NYC any day.

Those are my humble opinions. God bless all of those in need right now because of Katrina.
  • The 'posturing' is amazing. Posturing while 'Rome' burns. Each agency is press-conferencing the message every hour on the hour that it is not THEY who are ineffective. Even the military is exclaiming that 'This is NOT marshal law', This is NOT marshal law'. They want it perfectly clear that the guardsmen who are serving as policemen are actually civilian police who are called up, but 'This is NOT marshal law', and the state guard adjutant general is proclaiming that it is not the guard that is in charge, it's the police departments of the states, cities and parishes, but it ain't the guard.

Bush has said that Mississippi's governor, Haley Barbour, a Republican has had proper and effective responses, while Louisiana's, a female Democrat, has had 'unacceptable' responses. Who cares who has what label and who cares whether it's called marshal law in the press. Just get it done. Where are the military busses? Where are the busses that Disneyworld could have sent by the hundreds? The New Orleans Greyhound terminal and Amtrak are not 100 yards from the Superdome, so those systems are not useable.

People who have been evacuated to Texas have been on the news saying they have nothing to return to, only what they have on their backs and they're starting over in TX. Where's FEMA? The head of FEMA is press conferencing, so that's where FEMA is.

Gas stations in my town are still empty. The local government in my town just commandeered the Winn Dixie gas islands, they have two tankers offloading now, yellow tape everywhere and have filled the parking lot with police cars, fire trucks and emergency vehicles and nobody else has access to that gas supply. NOW THAT'S EFFECTIVE DECISION MAKING. Hooray for my mayor!

Teenagers are out of school and are still riding around rubbernecking in dad's Humvee, mom's SUV and their girlfriend's ragtop Mustang, wasting gas. I tell you for certain, having eyeballed it, that the interstate is lined with expensive Mercedes', BMW's, Escalades....etc. These people have all the money in the world, but can't get a drop more gas than I can, which is basically none.

The heroes are the power crews from other states. The Omaha power crews are finally getting in my area of the county, chopping their way in. The heroes are the churches who are open for anybody, offering hot food and beds and cold water and counseling. The heroes are the radio disc jockeys who have been up since Tuesday morning organizing websites to find people and telling people where to go for refuge. The hero is a farmer who called a station this morning at 4 a.m. to say he had some land anybody could camp on that would be suitable for anybody hauling animals. The hero is the young girl on the radio who said, "We ain't got much, but our small home is open to at least one other family with kids. I have three small ones myself and we have cots and I can cook for one more family. We got electricity, just no water."

"Life is a Bitch. Charlie Chaplin is a liar."

• Life is hard. God is good. He touched the hearts of those heroes. Without them and the fervent prayers and actions of others unnamed, where would our hope be? We have hope and we look ahead to the cleanup, the recovery, and rebuilding homes and lives. It's grievous to all of us, but even in despair we find hope. We have to.

Hang tough, Don.