Teenagers & Cats

Haven't seen anything to amusing in this section lately so thought I'd break the ice:

For all of you with teenagers or who had teenagers, you may want to know why they really have a lot in common with cats:

1. Neither teenagers nor cats turn their heads when you call them by name.

2. No matter what you do for them, it is not enough. Indeed, all humane efforts are barely adequate to compensate for the privilege of waiting on them hand and foot.

3. You rarely see a cat walking outside of the house with an adult human being, and it can be safely said that no teenager in his or her right mind wants to be seen in public with his or her parents.

4. Even if you tell jokes as well as Jay Leno, neither your cat nor you teen will ever crack a smile.

5. No cat or teenager shares your taste in music.

6. Cats and teenagers can lie on the living-room sofa for hours on end without moving, barely breathing.

7. Cats have nine lives. Teenagers carry on as if they did.

8. Cats and teenagers yawn in exactly the same manner, communicating that ultimate human ecstasy -- a sense of complete and utter boredom.

9. Cats and teenagers do not improve anyone's furniture.

10. Cats that are free to roam outside sometimes have been known to return in the middle of the night to deposit a dead animal in your bedroom. Teenagers are not above that sort of behavior. Thus, if you must raise teenagers, the best sources of advice are not other parents, but veterinarians. It is also a good idea to keep a guidebook on cats at hand at all times. And remember, above all else, put out the food and do not make any sudden moves in their direction.

When they make up their minds, they will finally come to you for some affection and comfort, and it will be a triumphant moment for all concerned.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is great but...why are you maligning cats?
  • Yeah Leslie, are you trying to start a fight between cat people and dog people?
  • In Leslie's defense, This is so true about cats. I have a cat and a dog and love them both dearly, but cats have their own world which they reluctantly allow us to inhabit.

Linda
  • So true. My son and his wife have a cat which I get to cat-sit whenever they are on vacation. This cat is evil. I'm actually mildly afraid of the beast. It growls at me deep down in its throat when I enter their house, and it only retreats when actually confronted. I have to go up an open stairwell to feed and take care of it, and am always afraid it will be waiting to pounce on me when I enter. They are going on vacation at the end of this week. th-down
  • hence the saying, "Dogs have masters, Cats have staff".

• Just got two kitties this weekend after waiting 12 years (landlords wouldn't allow pets, so we finally bought a house and now have pets!). We made the cat choice based not only on emotional need, but with financial considerations in mind. Cats, however unhealthy they get and however fanatic you are, are still less expensive on the checkbook than teenagers. And, I'd assume, less emotionally draining. On average, anyway (in deference to all you excellent parents out there).
  • Good idea to get two. I'm considering another one since our 3 yr. old cat seems to be bored. At times he'll just wander around the house, then plop down near someone (don't know what his criteria is). I know we don't play with him enough and he could stand to lose some weight. The cat is the teenagers but I take care of him, which I don't mind. I'd be taking care of two if we do get another (three if I count the teenager).

Enjoy your kitties!
  • Thanks, I'm sure we will. Got an eight-week-old brother and sister pair (Ajax and Artemis), so we're hoping they can help each other through the transition period. They're supposed to be litterbox trained and fully weaned. Hope it's just new home jitters that're making me think otherwise; he won't eat and she won't... uhm, use the litterbox. Still trying to get used to the 2:30 a.m. awakenings!
  • Not a great deal different than teenagers - don't they come in around 2:30 AM?
  • If your cat is urinating on the furniture (or a special place on the carpet), you need to act fast. Some cats like the feel of the chair or couch and won't use the box instead.

You may be up for a real challenge, or you may simply need to change the type of litter. I had a cat who had this problem and I found quite a few resource books at the library.
  • If the cat urinates on the furniture then the only option is a car battery and wire mesh.
  • I think it is the shock of the new home, mostly. Their former owners had the litterbox by the back door, and they associate the doors with that activity. Once I figured that out (only after accident #2), I moved the litterbox and intend to gradually put it back where we want it. We DID get a different litter when we found out the prior owners used a pure crystaline form. We're blending it with the stuff we have, and the more finicky one is beginning to make the transition.

TN_HR - we may resort to that for our kitchen chairs - not that they're being used for a restroom, but a scratching pad.

Now I'm feeling very justified and comfortable in my decision a decade ago not to have children.