Wish me luck

I am posting this in HR-de-har-har because the citations were a joke. I am heading out of town this afternoon to attend an informal conference with OSHA tomorrow, my first and sure to be a learning experience.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good luck. I've never experienced such a thing but I think I'd want to pack full body armor just in case if I were you.

Cheryl C.
  • If you get stuck in jail maybe you'll have internet privileges and can still post to the forum.
  • Plus he could write a book about his experience in jail and make lots of $
  • Lar: Walk in there looking confident. Went through one several years ago. In my case, the OSHA inspectors were not familar with our industry. We made flavors and extracts for food and pharmaceutical industries. I found them to be cooperative. Especially when they discovered some of the citations were unwarranted.

They were also willing to negotiate the severity of the remaining citations. Bring as much material (information) as possible to help your case.

Of course, one has to maintain their decorum. You cannot shout "a**hole".
  • What did I miss? What citations?

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Re-read Safety's first line..."because the citations were a joke."

Bring 'em some fresh green beans. Make 'em forget all about those nasty citations. In case that doesn't work, I'd go second with ritaanz suggestions...ah, he** maybe you should go with her suggestions first.
  • I went with the first suggestion and went in with a great deal of confidence and plenty of information. A little background, Citation 1 item 1 serious violation, proposed fine $1,700, citation 1 item 2 a Serious grouped with citation 1 item 2 b, proposed fine $ 1,700.

Results of informal settlement were favorable somewhat, 30% reduction in fines and 2a and b reduced to other status. The stress level is down until next week when corporate staff is in all week for another audit.

• For the benefit of those of us with safety responsibilities, can you elaborate on what they found and cited you for and why you felt they were not legitimate findings?

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Our facility was built in 1980/81 and we did not believe there was any asbestos in the plant. Any reasonable person would think in the same manner. Also lack of training and labeling does not rise to the serious level as defined by the act. Lo and behold a piece of equipment had a 1 inch by 6 inch piece of insulation exposed that tested 20% asbestos and we were given a serious for not determining there was any in the facility. Coupled with that we had not conducted training since we did in fact have it. Any exposure to this material was limited in nature and never disturbed until the inspector took a sample. I snapped a picture while she was collecting her sample and if it was serious she should have had on the proper PPE when dealing with suspected asbestos material, she did not. We abated it by covering it up, training our ee’s and contracting to have it removed. Also a serious violation was not warranted and the OSHA negotiator suggested other.

The first citation was for an elevated work surface above four feet that we were getting on 15 min each week for cleanup. They were not willing to come down from serious but reduced the fine. We are changing our SOP’s to not allow anyone up there without fall protection. Also the surface is wider than 14 feet and as long as an ee is in the centerline of the walkway they will be greater than 6 feet away from the fall potential and that will mitigte the hazard without fall protection.

• I wouldn't split that last hair with the OSHA people. It's not reasonable to suggest that the worker will always be in the center of the platform, thus six feet from the edge. Why not install railing and be done with it?

• The design and mechanical action of the machine center will not allow for a railing. The other alternative is to tie off with a harness and laynard to the roof beams ant that as you know requires inspection, training, enforcement, etc. I believe the final outcome for us is to institute a procedure stating no one is allowed on this oart of the machine period.