Ever seriously consider quitting HR?

Ok, maybe I'm just having a bad month (or maybe it's the fact BF has been in Iraq for 8 months now and I have the "blues") but have you ever seriously considered the fact that you picked the wrong career?

I graduate with my Bachelor's Degree in Business/HR Management in December. I start my SHRM prep class in October and I'm thinking that maybe I chose the wrong path ... but what is the right path?

SO... that said... tell me about your moment that you wanted to quit and how you got thru it!

Thanks! I'm off to meet with the boss so I'm sure I'll be in a great mood when I get back to read your replies!

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I absolutely love this profession of ours. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Having said that, my missing piece has more to do with how and where I practice my chosen field.

In an ideal environment, I would be in the consulting business. No staffing/headhunting, but true HR consulting. I am also thinking about getting my law degree.

Gene
  • I wrestle with it occasionally, but its more in that I've grown tired of the politics; the unwillingness of employers, especially here in Alabama, to recognize the value and importance of HR as something other than admin support to get people on and off the job. Then, that coupled with the unwillingness of managers to follow employment/HR guidelines that will keep them and the company out of deep stuff, as well as dealing with the "entitlement" mentality that is so pervasive among employees these days; about once a week I'm ready to walk away. About two years ago, I really struggled with my career path/choice and invested in an appointment with an agency here that does personality assessments and provides best match career options, etc. Found out, based on my traits and personality, etc., HR is a field that suits me. So, I step back, take a deep breath, remember how much I've invested in this career personally, emotionally, and professionally, think about what drew me to it in the early "rose colored glasses days" which are still things that keep me here, and I exhale, focus my energy on the positives and forge on through the bad days knowing they will pass.
  • Neitra: I'm not going to give you what you asked for. I think a long list of 'Why and When I hated HR' is going to do nothing other than validate the specific thing that's making you feel bad. Rather than that, I'll recommend some things to re-energize you and make you know you did choose the right profession:

1) Find a two or three day seminar to attend. Something out of town, not terribly expensive, something that will suck you in and hold your attention and challenge you and get you involved and send you back home energized.

2) Take two or three days off work and get an HR associate at another company to agree to let you come in and shadow him/her all day long for three days. Ask a ton of questions, challenge him or her to convince you what they are doing is better than the way you do it. Make suggestions and take notes and come away ready to implement change in your organization.

3) If those can't develop or won't, and if nothing else comes to mind, just take three days off and go to the beach. Whatever meets your needs, take it along too: a bottle of wine, a case of beer, a jug of lemonade, a cheap grill and three pounds of hamburger meat, a puppy, a kite, a beach ball, binoculars, a dart board, a younger man......hell, the sky's the limit! (PS: That list was meant to choose from. You cannot have all of those and expect to survive.) x:-)

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I like the three options you provided Neitra. Especially the last one!!! I remember when my father told me that I should study HR when I was picking my undergrad major. He couldn't tell me enough about it, but one of the boys fathers in our scout troop worked with my dad and was in industrial and labor relations. He spoke with me about HR. After three hours of being lectured and watching him drink wisky and smoke cigarettes he said HR is like shoveling elephant sh@t everyday, but every now and then there's a big reward...when you make someone happy and/or someone says thank you, it makes it all worth it. He was right...and beer helps in between the thank you's!
  • I have actually decided that HR isn't for me. I am in the process of obtaining a Master's degree in Adult Education with an emphasis on Counseling. I want my profession to be a purely "helping" one. I realize that is what HR is also, however I seem to get alot of the negative stuff in my current profession. I am not sure when my HR Career will end; however I know that it will eventually. I will graduate with my Master's next year (hopefully, unless life gets in the way as it does sometimes) and will then decide which path to persue. I am glad that I got the opportunity to work in the field I chose for myself when I was an undergrad student; it has given me a vast amount of experience in dealing with people. So, I guess I will be around for a bit longer anyway! :)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-05 AT 10:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Good ideas from the Don. Like Gene, I considered getting a law degree. We practice law, but without the degree. Maybe it would be better with it. On the other hand, I've always considered lawyers to be too detached from outcomes. They represent the client without getting personally involved in many cases. That's not for me. It's personal with me, and that's the way I like it. I don't just do the best I can and get a paycheck. I am the employer, this is my business. Its my budget, my money I'm spending when I negotiate a labor agreement, etc.

My granddaughter's BF is in Iraq too. We're pretty close; I took her mother to the hospital (Edit: In a 6" snowstorm on Christmas morning) and brought them both home when she was born. She, too, gets depressed, and we all do from time to time.

The profession has been very good to me, though; I'll never be rich, but I get paid reasonably for what I do, and have been happy. I hope you can say that in 30 years. :)

• If you get frustrated by the things you can't do, you will always be frustrated. Sometimes you just need to take baby steps to try to be a positive influence in your company and hope that sooner or later they will come around. Celebrate your victories. If your company willingly commits illegal or unethical acts and have no interest in correcting that, then you need to find a new company.

When I get frustrated, I just remember that I have heard my friends complain about their companies too and they aren't in HR. Everywhere you go you will have office politics, gossip, backstabbers, and difficult employees/co-workers, issues with company benefits and disappointments. It just matters on how you choose to deal with them.

• Very good points from everyone. I have been in HR for a number of years and have seen so many changes and opportunities. If I was beginning my career in HR, I'd get a dual degree in Human Resources/Law. We truly do practice law without a degree (don't get paid as handsomely either!).

Ruskanen was absolutely correct. Every company has its good points and bad points, but you have to focus on the positive things that you do find in your company.

The worst issue I have to to address is the "entitlement" mentality that is so prevalent now, especially in the healthcare industry.

I'm fortunate that I am making good money, have a senior management position and report to a great CEO. The work is challenging and my peers are very pleasant to work with.
  • I kind of fell into HR backwards. As a paralegal, the support for HR was open and I took it. I learned alot by the seat of my pants and from early frustration at not knowing and learning things fast enough, I came to enjoy it thoroughly. Though I have been the "legal rep" in the HR department, the people I have worked with are wonderful, intelligent and they care about both the employees and the company in equal measures.

I have recently been transferred within our legal department and am now officially "off" HR work, though I am still turning in here while I can because I'm finding it difficult to get it out from under my skin, and I'm training and transitioning my replacement. I have to remind myself that that's not my job anymore. Now I'm supposed to be learning environmental law and about the laws relating the transmission and distribution of gas and electricity - not even close to HR. But I'm still known in the legal and HR depts as the inhouse expert. It's been wonderful being able to supply or reinforce information that always seems to help someone - either a supervisor or HR business partner caught in a legal tangle, or an employee who needs help understanding benefits.

I was asked if I wanted to move to an HR position, instead of law, and I decided not. I do love law, though I'm not a lawyer, and this is where I'll stay. But my hand is still in HR, at least for awhile. I've especially enjoyed the friends I've made on the Forum.
  • I sorta fell into this HR position as well. Really wanted a final job for about 15 years and then to retire -- no pressure, just a good "no ultimate responsibility" job at a good company.

That was not to be. After a few years as the executive assistant to the CEO here, the HR Director decided to quit and I was told -- you should do that job. So back to school to bone up on the laws, etc., complete my credentials for the SPHR, and now I wish I had started in this professional from the first. HR is my heart. I get to be the employer rep to employees and the employee rep to the employer. Those bad days/times will pass -- we all get them. Would not want to be doing anything else (except when I am on the beach as Don described above).

• No, it's been a wonderful, great run, and I wouldn't change anything - well, maybe one or two things, but when the next life starts I won't look back.
  • Didn't your mom just turn 100? The next life may be far in your future yet. Better keep that seat buckle on G.
  • Thanks to everyone who replied! Lots of great insight and I'm planning on taking Don up on one of his suggestions (not the vacation I have already been on too many of those since Mike left for Iraq).

I'm not sure it is the company that I have issues with because it really isn't that bad of a place. I think I'm overwhelmed with everything and need to take a step back to take 10 forward.

This morning my boss complimented me in a backwards kind of way - but hey I'll take it!!

Thanks again for screwing my head back on!

• I didn't really choos this field; it chose me. But sometimes I feel like Michael Corleone when he says, " I try to get out of this, but they just keep dragging me back in."
  • On the contrary, I thank my lucky stars a few times a month that they actually pay me to do this stuff. I think you hit the nail on the head when you hinted that your attitude might be symptomatic of the stress you feel over the BF. It's one of those tough situations that's gonna stink until it doesn't stink anymore, so you might as well take some of the good advice above and get out and do a few things to help take your mind off it for awhile. It also might help you to know that lots of us on the Forum are pulling for you.
  • Thought about it but not seriously. I can't do anything else. 90% of the time I like what I do and after all these years am confident with it. Now and then I dream about being a waitress in a fine seafood restaurant having all the free king crab legs I want and making exhorbitant tips working only the hours I want. If someone would complain, I'd tell them to go see the manager - I'd never handle another complaint. But with the reality check - I like it fine right where I am. We all have those days.