Senate Apology

From a blog: "The Senate issued an apology Monday night to the victims of lynching -- 4,743 people killed between 1882 and 1968, three out of four of them black." The referenced article quoted a Tuskegee University study that all but 4 states experienced lynchings.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And the four states were...?
  • ...and when is the apology coming the millions of babies killed via abortion???
  • Good point, Slogan. The senate was not directly involved in those lynchings, but they did pass the law allowing abortion.

What was the purpose of the apology? Does it make us feel any better? Was the senate responsible? By extension are they saying I'm responsible? Or was it just a political or PC act?
  • The Japanese apologized for their actions in WWII, as did the Germans. Why should we not symbolically apologize to our victims?

This from the Associated Press, that bastion of left-wing thought x;-)

"Lynching is variously defined as a violent act, usually racial in nature, that denies a person due process of law and is carried out with the complicity of the local society. There were reported lynchings in all but four states, with Mississippi at the top with 581 documented incidents between 1882 and 1968, according to researchers at Tuskegee University."
  • I think that the apologies of the Japanese and the Germans are totally hollow and meaningless. Symbolic, yet meaningless; as meaningless as that girl letting a white dove go each time Mikie Jackson was proclaimed innocent of a charge. In fact, they say nothing. This recent apology only will serve to fuel the flames of reparations demands and the Rainbow Coalition push for more of this and that and there never being enough. This Senate proclamation was a Democrat ploy that most Republicans could not afford to be spotlighted as opposing, pure and simple. Next they should proclaim that 'we will from this day forward all cease the flogging of our wives'. Who could vote nay?

Lynching, except for legal hangings following court trials and jury verdicts was an awful, dastardly, unforgivable activity, regardless of the color of the lynchee or the reason behind it. I had nothing to do with it, naturally, and trust that none of my relatives did. But, it was at some point in history accepted in society or it would not have drawn crowds. I still favor hanging as a means of legal execution.

Should the Senate not also apologize to the Wickans for the burning of witches in Salem? And did I miss the government's apology to the Native American's for our stealing of their land? You cannot meaningfully apologize for something someone else did.
  • I am not aware of the Japanese apology for their actions in WWII. They don't even teach their kids about their attack on Pearl Harbor. And the only apology I am aware of that Germany made was in the Armistice Agreement and nothing more.
  • I've been unable to nail down the date of the German apology, but will get back on that. As for the Japanese, note the following apologies:

9/29/72; 8/24/82; 8/26/82; 9/6/84; 4/18/90; 5/25/90; 1/16/92; 11/17/92... and a total of 29 more times through the last 13 years. Last apology was on 4/22/05 and they run the gamut from apologizing to the Chinese, Koreans, their own people, Americans, etc.
  • Thanks for the update & education. Now, can you direct me to a place where I might get to actually read them for myself so I can say I am a truly educated and well read individual?
  • Mississippi's Senator Cochran is quoted this morning as saying, "I declined to co-sponsor the resolution apologizing for Senate inaction because I feel I cannot apologize for something I did not do. I don't feel that I should apologize for the passage or the failure to pass any legislation by the U.S. Senate. But, I deplore and regret that lynchings occured and that those committing them were not punished."

Our newspaper, a typical liberal rag owned by the Gannett organization, was pressing Cochran for an answer, suggesting since he did not co-sponsor, then he must have supported what happened 50 years ago (a terribly convoluted, absurd deduction in my opinion, but a typical one). Cochran's reply to that was absolutely brilliant. "I am interested in doing my job to respond to the problems of today and not apologizing for the failures of the past. I notice that The Clarion-Ledger Newspaper never apologized for the many editorials it wrote 50 years ago championing segregation." Brilliant.

Politics, Politics, Politics.
  • Do I sense a letter to the editor in the offing pointing out your newspaper's egregious ommision of an apology for their support of segregation?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-15-05 AT 07:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]On behalf of the State of Minnesota I'd like to apologize to the rest of the world for the following:

1. Especially to the people in the great State of Virginia, for still keeping and displaying in our state capitol, a confederate flag taken during battle.

2. For the defective hearty valves that have been produced locally.

3. For Walter Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, Dave Durenberger, Jesse Ventura, and Paul Wellstone.

4. Really damned sorry about Mark Dayton and Norm Coleman. New York, please come and get Norm. We're done with him now.

5. Especially to the windy people in the City of Chicago, for the Hatch twins.

6. Especially to the people of the Midwest who cross rairoad tracks, for the spilled iron ore pellets.

7. For Olie and Lena jokes, and Eino and Toivo jokes.

8. For soybeans.

9. For Pig's Eye beer and Hamm's beer.

10. For not getting John Dillenger when we had him pinned down in St.Paul.

God knows we are so damned sorry and we'll try not to do it again.

• You've offended more than Virginia with #1.
  • Hey!!! Chill out! I said I was sorry, didn't I?

'ere.
  • What meaning does it have to apologize for something we did not do? The same as forgiving someone for something they did to someone else. Can't be done. How many times have we heard someone on the evening news saying something like, "I think we should all forgive the terrorists who flew airplanes into the twin towers on 9/11."? Easy to sit on your front porch sipping a cool drink and forgive someone for doing something horrendous to another person. Same thing with apologies. Easy to do, but meaningless.
  • Exactly my point, Linda.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-20-05 AT 03:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-20-05 AT 03:45 PM (CST)[/font]

Maybe "apology" is the wrong word and maybe we are looking at it from the point of view of someone not involved instead of the doee. What do the families and descendents of the lynching victims think? Does it lend some sort of relief to hear an apology? Instead of an "apology" would they rather hear a statement - "what was done by others was wrong and we cannot condone what was done."? If hearing something just tells them that today we recognize the wrongs of the past I think that helps them, whether called an apology or something else and they are the ones who count. A man who survived a lynching attended the Senate event, so he must have got something out of it. If my father or grandfather had been lynched, I expect that I would like to hear something other than silence or "I can't apologize for something I didn't do". I also expect that I would recognize that individuals cannot apologize for something they did not do but that they can comment about the rights and wrongs of the past. I expect that I would also recognize insincerity when I heard it.
  • I never had an ancestor who was subjected to lynching, thank God. I am, however,of Native American ancestry. My ancestors suffered quite a bit, too. We all know what happened to the Indians (I prefer that term, PC incorrect though it may be), and we know they suffered tremendously. I think my grandmother knew quite a bit from stories passed down through the generations, but she would never talk about it. The little we could glean from other relatives about how our family was treated was pretty terrible, including torture and death by any means that occurred to those who wanted the red people out. But--that was then and this is now. It is horrible that it happened, but it is over. We can't hang onto situations that will eat at us. We can't change what happened. It's called "history", folks, and it's not always pretty. Our family, I guess, decided generations ago to let it go, and I'm going to do the same.

Linda
  • I personally think there is some psychological value in an official acknowledgement that a people or a government has committed a wrong - regardless of how long ago it was.

I think it serves a purpose: It shows that the government/people/entity recognize that what they (or their predecessors) have done is wrong, which opens the door for an acknowledgement by others that the offending entity is aware that its actions were inappropriate. It is then up to the victims (or their descendants) to accept or reject that apology.

Although only symbolic, it may offer the opportunity for some degree of closure for the victims or their descendants. Maybe not all, but apologies do go a long way with some people. Just listen to the number of people who say they forgave a loved one's killer, if he has expressed remorse for his actions. This concept of forgiveness for those who are truly sorry may not be widespread, but it does occur. Therefore, I can't help but feel that apologies, however symbolic, are not meaningless.

Now, please don't start in with anecdotal reports or specific examples. I am discussing apologies in the abstract here, don't bog me down with "yes, but what about this..." or "Yeah, but in this case...." I'm talking theory here, not hair-splitting. x;-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-21-05 AT 06:00AM (CST)[/font][br][br]G3, you and Parabeagle are both as full of crap as a Christmas turkey, sorry for the religious connotation. My wife's great-grandmother was half Choctaw. She tells me this discussion is bull sh*t. I have black friends who disdain the label 'African American' who tell me it is all a hollow, political exercise.

You can philosophise and theorize about it till the cows come home. Follow the money trail. This is intended to either keep a Democrat in office or increase Jessie Jackson's and Al Sharpton's coffers. It is intended strictly to incite. As long as people keep the flames fanned, there will be a need for a fire department. Let the fire die and the fire department has a layoff. It has no other value.

I reckon those in the windy city also ought to be sorry their street-cops on foot patrol regularly rapped their night sticks against the heads of racial minorities and others who stumbled around in alleys and sat on the steps of apartment slums. I want educators in general to apologize to me for the mistreatment visited upon me and others during our elementary school years when the order of the day was paddling the daylights out of anybody who challenged their authority.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-21-05 AT 10:42AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Wily characters, Jesse and Al. Playing the buffoon card for all they are worth, all the while manipulating
  • I'm with Parabeagle - I believe that an apology does provide very helpful closure for some people. I also think most people are smart enough to know that the apology is for past actions, and only very few make it personal on either side, and know that the one(s) making the apology didn't necessarily commit or even endorse the offense.
    What gets me is when apologies occur with current injustices - like the apologies to the Native Americans for taking their land, while the Dept. of the Interior admits that they have and are continuing to deprive the tribes of their royalities for oil and mineral leases because they haven't been able to track the accounting for the last 20 years or so.
  • OK then. I want you to feel better, so here goes: As an HR professional of some several decades, I hereby apologize to all HR professionals for the mindless drivel and nonsensical labor laws and related edicts that have eminated from the left coast courts and liberal legislative bodies over the past three decades.
  • I certainly feel much better now about the nonsensical labor laws and related edicts.
  • No, keep 'em coming. They provide job security for HR.
  • Hey, I've got an idea. Why doesn't Congress spend it's time trying to stop terrorism, balance the budget, quit spending money they don't have and getting our boys home? Nah, I guess that might be asking too much.
  • Where did you get the idea that they have to follow the same rules as the rest of us or do anything that doesn't effect their own families and paychecks?
  • I don't know, must be my brain tumor acting up again...