Macaulay Culkin Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-08-05 AT 05:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]This just in:

"Former child star Macaulay Culkin pleaded guilty Wednesday to misdemeanor charges of possession of medication without a prescription and marijuana and was given a deferred sentence.

Culkin, star of the "Home Alone" films, was arrested September 17 after police stopped a car in which he was a passenger. Officers found over a half-ounce of marijuana and several tablets of Xanax, a prescription medication used to treat depression and panic disorders, court records show"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm, Xanax? I guess I would suffer depression and panic disorders too if as a child I had to spend days at Neverland Ranch with that freakshow and Bubbles the chimp.

Maybe his testimony at the freakparade was bought after all with a bag of weed, some pills and maybe a case of jesus juice.

Another child star becomes the poster child for bad behavior.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • With child stars growing up under the kind of pressures they face, it's no wonder some of them turn out this way. I'm more inclined to cut folks like this a little slack because of the crap they've had to put up with being so famous so young, before they've developed the maturity necessary to deal with their stardom.

I know, I know. Liberal bias. I'm not as genteel as Parabeaglex2! x;-)
  • So Beagle, ignorance of moral and ethical standards gives one a pass on obeying commonly accepted and understood laws? So, my younger son who is roughly the same age as Culkin should be locked up if he was caught doing this but Culkin should be given some slack because my son presumably has a better understanding of morals and ethics and should be held to a higher standard?
  • No, Ray, ignorance is not a pass. However, these people have been held to a different standard than those of us who have grown up in reasoned, rational, moral environments. Consider the following child stars who have gone wrong:

Judy Garland - a life of drug/alcohol abuse; led to her death on a toilet - started with her success in The Wizard of Oz.

The guy who played Whitey on Leave it to Beaver; died in a flophouse in Skid Row in Portland, Oregon a year or so ago - I think he was in his mid-late 50's - got entree's into drug and alcohol parties in California and Oregon because he was always introduced as "the guy who played Whitey in Leave it to Beaver." The sign he posted on the door of his room in the flophouse reminded him daily of his need to stay clean. It didn't work.

Michael Jackson - allegedly abusive parents, stage-managed to the Nth degree. Not excusing what his behavior might have been but just looking at his lifestyle might indicate that his upbringing might have left something to be desired.

Brian Wilson - domineering, micro-managing father, his group succeeded in spite of his efforts but his influence directly contributed to his downfall. Thank God he was able to produce "Smile."

These are just a few examples. I'm sure the numbers are legion.

• Beags - please factor in the inner city kid with an absent father, a crack head mother, crime, and death all around, his reality is far, far removed from most of the rest of us, and far more 'real' than the 'pressure' faced by the child star. By what standard do we measure this unfortunate individual? Do they get a break? Do they get a free pass or a book of them? Which one gets a bigger break: star or unfortunate lot in life? For me, if anyone gets a break, it's the unfortunate lot in life kid. The 'early' stars with their life on a string gets nada. Good riddance. They had everything, all of the advantages and they spurned their chances. Kick em' to the side of the road! They followewd the example of their over paid and 'worshipped' adult stars whose booze and alcohol indulgences are excused by the media and only tsked tsked by the rest of us, and they think they can get away with murder, and they do because they always have. Talk about different standards! The celebreties of this world are freaks and will never reform if we keep fawning over them. Now I'm so damn mad I can't even go back to work. Think I'll go visit my saintly 93 year old mom. You all have a glorious day - I intend too!

• Can we really blame the kids for being brought up in the lime light of Hollywood? Many of them got there due to their parents' greed. No, it doesn't excuse them from obeying laws and being good citizens, but whether the kids were brought up in Hollywood or the Bronx, they didn't get there by themselves...though too often left to fend for themselves too early on in life.

After passing through Hollywood with my family last week, I am so glad that I grew up plain and unfamous. I see how those live who think that by being there is as close to heaven as they can get. Sad.

• Plain and unfamous? Your pictures are on the internet and you have been asked to set up the next forum cruise.
  • Didn't think of that. You're too funny G!
  • I don't believe their "success" is the cause of their decline or problems. Unfortunately, the environment of their success enables the behavior, but the behaviors are driven by deeper problems. Lack of parental guidance, lack of moral compass, lack of personal responsibility, lack of any number of things core to what make others strong willed, moral, upstanding citizens. Success does not create the problem.
  • Hey, at least the dude's still an outstanding character witness for Michael...

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/jackson.gif[/IMG]

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • In my humble opinion, everyone has a choice: obey the law or don't obey the law. It doesn't matter whether you are famous or not. There have been kids from the ghetto who have have made up their minds that there is a better way of life and have made the choice. So I say, if you are priviledged, famous, wealthy, etc., and still choose to break the law, your a** deserves to be in jail just like the rest of us.

Linda
  • I can understand how the environment in which these individuals grow up can cause all sort of dysfunction, which it does. I don't think the standards for dealing with it should be different though. Yikes, my daughter just got her first teaching job - 8th grade English - in a middle school in Hollywood. I don't think she will run into any star's to be, though. They all live in Beverly Hills and go to private schools. One of the questions she was asked was - do you speak Spanish?
  • I often wonder what all the fuss is about being a movie star. I don't want the lifestyle that comes with it nor do I want it for my kids, nor do I think it is a good way to raise a kid. So you do have to wonder why some people choose it as a lifestyle knowing that it will be dysfunctional and the likelyhood of problems (drugs, alcohol, depression, low self esteem, pressure filled life) that come with it. So, Beag, I will jump on the bandwagon and wonder why you think those kids should be given a break? They chose the lifestyle; the "inner city kid" and others less fortunate do not choose their lot in life.