KENTUCKY

Hard to believe Kentucky is out of it. An unbelievable series of little miracles kept them alive into double overtime. The best irony of all was the guy who appeared to have blown it for them at the free-throw line was the guy who kept them alive into overtime with a last second shot that had to be reviewed for six minutes. But, it was not to be, as they bit the dust some 3.5 hours after tipoff. I have to say the best team won. I truly don't have a dog in this hunt any more. x:-)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That was the best Elite Eight I've seen. I've got two friends that went to IL. When IL hit the three that tied the game, they (accidentally) flipped over the coffee table and broke the couch. There is nothing better than March madness.
  • That was somethin wasn't it? I thought for sure the 'other' MSU would be flat after the 3 point by Sparks, and Ithink theydid start back a bit on their heels -those are the games it is an absolute shame they can't both win. Next year though Don, looks like Ky ought to be harder n nails. Sort of wish MI SU didn't have to go through NC to get to the final, but, what the hey! I have never seen so much great B ball, just a great weekend.
  • Living most of my 44 years in Kentucky, with a Dad and brother who live and breathe Kentucky Basketball, it was a hard loss to take. But these guys are great. We have one of the best coaches around. Next year, since we will only lose 2 seniors, look for UK to go all the way.

Unfortunately, I married a man from Michigan who just HAD to wear his Spartan Sweatshirt to my family's Easter brunch yesterday. Of course, everyone gave him a hard time, but now he is on top of the world!

BUT, since I was born in Illinois, that's who I will be cheering for for the rest of the tournament!
  • When I was fresh out of college and working in Marquette, MI, we used to go to Northern Michigan University basketball games. This was back in the mid 70's. They had this hot little guard out of Iron Mountain, MI named Tommy Izzo. The rest is history in the making.

By the way, in 1975, NMU won the Div.II football championship behind the passing hand of QB, Steve Mariucci, also from Iron Mountain.

Tommy and Steve ended up as roommates. Now 30 years later here they are coaching teams about an hour apart from eachother.

Isn't that a lovely story?
  • It would be if you told us Larry had successfully managed their careers and became independently wealthy and they both bought him a house and car.