On, Wisconsin!

So, little ol' Wisconsin has two, that's TWO teams going to the sweet sixteen! Now, I'm not going to claim that they're likely to go any further, but what a rush. My alma mater, UWM, when I was going there, was still playing with the original peach basket on an unpaved outdoor court. It's an urban university and played in obscurity (that was the name of our gym, I think). No one even knew we had sports teams. GO Badgers AND Panthers!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The only reason I clicked on this one is that I thought I was about to hear a fight song! I had my speakers turned up and everything. Talk about a disappointment.

Mississippi State sadly blew it away with Duke yesterday. We had at least nine chances to win the game and the best we could do was move ahead by one, tie it three times, then blow it out our A**.

Go somebody!
  • Maryland didn't even make the tournament (for the first time in 12 years)

Go Underdog. There were a few more upsets this weekend.
  • My hopes were dashed twice. First, when Kansas was on the wrong end of the biggest upset, and second when Nevada had such a poor showing against Illinois. Nothing left to root for now except the great game of basketball. Very entertaining this year, lots of great games. Players and teams showing the heart that makes this so much fun to watch.

My oldest son pulls for Duke so I guess they'll be my default team for now.

• Being originally from NC, I would like to point out that NC has 3, count them, 3 teams going to the sweet 16.
  • Congrats Hunter! And I agree, there has been some great B ball this year. So, are there 3 big 10 teams left? Ill.; Wisc; and MSU? Not bad. Don't cheer to hard for Duke Marc - I'm looking for MSU to do something good yet - they've been all over the map this year.
  • Please clarify. There is only one legitimate MSU and that would be Mississippi State University, the oldest land grant university in the United States. If there are others, they are of the copycat variety.
  • We used to have Minnesota State U. located in Mankato, MN. It's now been renamed to Mankato State U., or more popularly, MSU! I guess we didn't want to be confused with the old TV show.
  • You should be flattered there are those 'copycatting' you. Apparently though, you guys failed to properly 'trademark' your logo, ergo, interlopers are free to besmirsh. Actually, when I went to MSU the smokestack still said MAC - Michigan Agricultural College. Nevertheless, they have their work cut out for them against Duke and Coach K.
  • "when I went to MSU the smokestack still said MAC - Michigan Agricultural College." x:-) I know, I know, and you walked six miles each way to college and the wagons driven by the school's dairy workers were pulled by mules with US GOVT branded on their left hind leg.

Your memory does remind me, however, of the old photograph passed down from my father's days of the sign at the campus entrance, reading "Mississippi A & M". And the one I have of Old Main Dormitory, which before burning in the late 50s, was the largest dormitory building in the country. Which makes me remember the shave and freshman beanie, which makes me remember panty raids, which makes me remember probation, which makes me remember mandatory ROTC which makes me remember demerits for gum.....
  • Don, at your age I'm surprised you have still have such vivid memories.
  • Hey Ray! I wondered where you'd been. I see someone finally lifted the manhole cover. x:-)
  • Sadly, both the Lobo(UNM) men & women lost their first games. The men should have beat Villanova, but in the first half the Lobo's couldn't buy and bucket & were down by 23 at the half. The Lobo's shut down Villanove in the second half, but the deficit was to great to overcome.

How about ol' Bobby Knight & the Red Raiders of Texas Tech? Who knows...but my prediction is that it will be Ill & Duke in the championship game.
  • I hope that Texas Tech is not able to get past my WV Mountaineers! They played the game of the tournament the other night against Wake Forest. My concern is that they do not have anything left in the tank. They played four games in the Big East tournement before losing to Syracuse, then had a short break before the start of the Big Dance. Hopefully, this break will give them time to rest those legs.
  • Hunter: I'm a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee alumni too and its great they made it so far! I hope they win against IL tonight. Go Panthers!