Just Gonna Do It!

For years I have toyed with the idea of learning to play the guitar. I took lessons in 3rd grade but had the attention span of a fruitfly, so I gave it up after a few months.

Finally decided to go ahead and do it. I'm looking for anyone who can direct me to a good, self-study guitar program (no time to take formal lessons). Also, what kind of guitar is a good one for a beginner (besides one that plays itself with no help from me)? I'm leaning toward an electric guitar, but assume my neighbors would be less than thrilled with that idea.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know how your cable company operates....but ours offers an "on-demand" feature...and for us, one of the sections offers these kinds of programs...

• My advice is to buy a cheap guitar until you know what you want.

About 10 years ago, I wanted to learn how to play an organ. I bought a very expensive organ and after years of playing I had to TRY and sell my organ and I bought a keyboard. I am very happy with the keyboard but... I sure invested a lot of money when I could have waited until I knew what I wanted.
  • I applaud you for going ahead and doing something that makes you happy. My daughter took private bass guitar lessons at a local music store. They can be reasonable and if you make a committment (contract) for a year or so, they may give you a better price. Good luck!
  • I don't know if lessons are going to cut it. I'm seldom out of here before 7 p.m. and head into the office around 6 a.m. I think I need some program that I can back up and repeat if I didn't get it the first time, that kind of thing. Time constraints are a big deal for me.

I appreciate the advice re getting a cheap guitar, though. I'd hate to buy a Fender Stratocaster and then discover I suck at this.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-05 AT 05:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You can purchase a bottom of the line strat with a bottom of the line amp at a reasonable cost, around $150 or so at just about any music store or pawn shop. You can also purchase video or CD training at a reasonable price.

See the private message I sent to you, there is a good link to a giant clearinghouse for just what you are looking for.
  • Thanks, Safety, for the site link. I found a Fender package w/ amp, headphones, instruction video, etc. for less than $300. My neighbors, however, probably will not thank you. x:-)

Stairway to Heaven, anyone?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-05 AT 11:15PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Purple Haze, definitely. Stairway to Heaven, maybe. Innagaddadavida, no way.

Google "internet guitar lessons" and go nuts.
  • As an active amateur musician I recommend you buy a decent used guitar. Don't go cheap. Cheap may not stay in tune and may fall apart quickly. Cheap may be harder to play then a better quality instrument which can affect your desire to work at it. I buy top of the line instruments but used at a reasonable cost, much less than brand new.

Consider an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp - a little more versatile. Then buy a small amp.

• Para,

I’m 52 years old and a few years ago I too decided to challenge myself and do something that I always wanted to do -- and that was learn to play the guitar. For what it’s worth, might I suggest an acoustic guitar (with a set of light gauge strings) to begin with – the advantages are obvious – it is the go anywhere, play anywhere version of the instrument. Acoustics can be amplified if need be and many guitar manufactures even make electrified acoustics – which offer you the best of both worlds. The classic electric will make a great second guitar.

While you have the checkbook out, spring for an electronic tuner. They are not that expensive and remember, an out-of-tune guitar will never sound right no matter how well you make the chord.

As far as lessons are concerned, brand name guitar manufacturers market a variety of quality DVD formatted lesson series designed for the beginner as well as the advanced student. For the beginner, it would be tough to say that one is any better than the other – just get one and get started – and yes, your fingers are going to hurt like hell for a couple of weeks.

Any finally, just like in the business world, find a mentor. There will be times that you will “hit the wall” and there is nothing like someone with a little more experience showing you a few licks and tricks to reinvigorate your enthusiasm. Don’t be surprised if your mentoring turns out to contain an element of generational reversal -- my teenage son and his friends have shown me a few things that it would have taken me years to figure out on my own.

Happy strumming,

Geno

• Korg 25 tuner - $25 - best deal.