A Lost Democrat vs. A Lost Republican

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost.

She lowered altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and Replied, "You're in a hot air balloon approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2346 feet above sea level.. You are 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."

She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Republican."

I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Democrat."

"I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect ME to solve your problem. You're in EXACTLY the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it's MY fault."

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It occurs to me that you could switch the party affiliations of the actors in this story and reach the same conclusion. x;-)
  • Nah, then it wouldn't stir up as much controversy.
  • There you go again, Beagle. Sitting on that fence. Regardless of which screen name you use, you're still the evil twin. x}>
  • I agree with Beagle. AND it IS all "their" fault :DD
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-08-05 AT 03:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks for the help Judy, I knew it was all their fault...wait a minute, do you mean democrats or republicans? x:-/
  • No, no... Judy and I are on the same page, slogan, you're still on the "acknowledgements" in the beginning of the book... x;-) It actually IS all your fault (you, meaning the Republicans)

For your consideration:

Ronald Reagan: Budget deficit
    George H Bush: Budget deficit
    Bill Clinton: Budget surplus
    George W Bush: Budget deficit

How's that for jumpin' off the fence and coming down decisively, Ray? x;-)

• Okay, now to get political:

Ronald Reagan: Budget deficit-inherited from Sweet Jimmy's misery index spending (remember, Ronnies tax cuts gave the treasury it's largest ever increase of money, giving the Dem's more money to spend)

George H Bush: Budget deficit-from giving into the Democrats spend at all cost

Bill Clinton: Budget surplus-not really a surplus, just a balanced budget and only after the Rep congress shoved it under his nose for the 3rd time

George W Bush: Budget deficit-but going down and not as big as it could have been considering he inherited a recession, Sept 11, and the bubble burst from the era of greed and deceit.

No fence riding here...ah, I feel better.
  • Hey, Judy! Whatever! Leslie! All you other democrats out there! C'mere for a sec...

Ever notice how the Republicans spend a whole lot of time and energy rationalizing a quantitative measure such as surplus or deficit? x;-)
  • Right! Don't confuse parabeagle2x3 with the facts. They only get in the way of his mantra. Democrats disdain facts. They love mantras, slogans, chants, posterboards and other hollow untruisms. Facts are mundane and meaningless things.
  • >They love mantras, slogans,...

Careful how you use "slogan"
  • Poor Democrats can't be helped. They after all, have Teddy Kennedy as one of their revered statesmen and leaders. "Nuff" said!
  • Even worse, they have the Rev Al Sharpie! Does this guy have a job? A position? A constituency? A congregation? A brain? How can anything be credible with this idiot running around? Isn't there some way to vote him off the island? Can't some credible democrat at least stand up and say his views are not the views of the party? Not the views of any warmblooded, reasonably intelligent lump of carbon? I just don't get it.
  • Then there is Hillary who in preparation to the next presidential election is repositioning herself as more of a centrist to gain a wider voter base.
  • Yes, some of the talking heads on television news have said that Hilary is now 'more pro life', simply because she appeared in pink the other day and said, 'can't we all just get along?'

And, how can you be 'more' pro-life. Either you is or you ain't.

One of my favorite talking heads has said multiple times, "Just watch her. She is beginning to pretend to be moving to the center from the far left, and will make herself out to be more accepting of the values of the right and center - and that will be the theme as she moves toward 2008."

Shadow: Al Sharpton does too have a job! He has now publicly partnered with PETA in a nationwide boycott by African Americans of Kentucky Fried Chicken in protest of the way their suppliers crowd chickens and toss them around. I'm serious. The boycott calls for 'more individual wing room' and a more human way of coralling chickens and bringing about their demise'.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 09:45AM (CST)[/font][br][br]"Bill Clinton: Budget surplus-not really a surplus, just a balanced budget and only after the Rep congress shoved it under his nose for the 3rd time."

Geez, slogan, that's a different rationalization than has been explained to me by my dying-to-share-their-all-enlightened-knowledge Republicans. They tell me the only reason Prez Clinton was able to balance the budget was the boost he got from Regan-omics four years earlier. Course, they can't explain why George Sr. couldn't do the same thing. Makes you want to go hmmmmmm.

Edit: Beags, I posted...I posted!
  • Well, this is special - Ray accuses me of fence-sitting so I take a stand, knowing my fellow democrats will come to support my position...

What do I get? A bunch of Republicans closing in on me from all sides and not a democrat in sight! xflash
  • Are fried chickens Al's constituency?Congregation?
    /Beags - what I was trying to conjure, although not very artistically was the quote, I think of Groucho, something about not wanting to belong to a club that would have him...in regard to Al Sharpie, that's not necessarily a republican bias, it's just a general bias against buffoons - of which there are several of the republican persuasion, but they seem to keep alower profile than Al.
  • No argument about Sharpton from me... frankly, I keep getting him confused with Don King.

And Leslie did show up, but I didn't see her standing there. Sorry, Leslie. x;-)
  • So, we're back on this.

It seems to me that any Democrat or Republican with a working human head would concede the following: Both sides can cite facts that support their own positions; both sides have idiots, zealots, and ne'er-do-wells among their ranks; both sides are equally facile with mantras, slogans and cliches. To paraphrase the bumper sticker, anyone who doesn't realize this hasn't been paying attention....or - worse yet - is so far gone into zealotry themselves that they are beyond the reach of reason, cult deprogrammers, or 12-step programs.

Sore loser-ism is unattractive, but sore winner-ism is both unattractive and ungracious. So let me be polite and beg your pardon for this brief interruption in the sore winner fest.

• Where in the rules does it say winners have to be gracious when addressing or speaking of cartoon characters whom would not recognize gentility in defeat if it knocked them upside the head? Would that be the grace-rulebook of Gore or Dean or Peeelosi or Reed or Mr. Kerry or perhaps Kennedy or Miz Clinton herself? We are now already engaged in the 2008 battle for the whitehouse and the time for celebration in victory has passed. If the vile uncivility of that group of Democrat standard bearers is any example at all of what's to come, WE cannot be ungracious enough. Once in college, while preparing for a fist fight, I was going to politely remove my sport coat and expected that my opponent would accept my civility and grace. Instead, as soon as I got both my arms behind me, twisting out of my coat, he wound my clock and sent me reeling for a few minutes. He was a Democrat I am certain. In the near term, I recovered; he did not.

Beags: Don King is the one with his finger in the socket. Sharpton is the one with the 5W-40 motor oil on his head and the semi-mullet shaped out of Christmas fudge.
  • "Where in the rules does it say winners have to be gracious...."

Alas, there's no rule book for graciousness. As you said about being pro-life, when it comes to civility and grace, either you is or you ain't. And my point was, them that ain't ain't limited to one party or the other.
  • umm sorry Beag, I'm here now. left work early yesterday and came in late today (I love my job!). By "their" fault I did indeed mean the Republicans but I don't want to get into name calling nor defending anyone. I never particularly cared for Hillary but yes, "can't we all just get along".

I would like to discuss this chicken controversy further, now THAT sounds really interesting.
  • Guys...I have to say unbiasedly that George W is the president least bothered by a fact, ever...and he's proud of that!!!

It doesn't matter what the reality appears to be...if he can't get the press to cover it the way he wants, they get thrown off the plane.. (see recent stories about Dick Cheney's travels)...

He's given a whole new meaning to political spin...and I am in complete awe.

• Dubya reminds me of a boss I once had - if I pointed out that the facts didn't fit his perception he would look me in the eye and say, "Don't f*** with my reality!"

Surprisingly, he was very successful in business - until he went bankrupt.
  • Your first nine words let us know that he didn't always make good business decisions. x:D (just kidding)
  • Sorry, Parabeagle. I was out yesterday. Fortunately, the Spongebob people will make such a mess of things this next four years that they will be out on their rear ends next time around. Jeez, trillions in budget deficits sponsored by republicans (lower case "r" on purpose).
  • You must be the cousin of Gillian2, who not 8 months ago promised us the current bunch would be out on their ear after November. Yours is a safe bet that Bush will be out in '08. But, the other side of that is that a new set up Republicans will just pull up a van out front and move in. Ain't a chance in hell the citizens of the United States of America will return the whitehouse to the Democrats anytime soon.
  • Nah, this collective "we're the man" approach by republicans will get old before four years go by, and the pendulum will swing back as those that think a bit, fortunately most, say to themselves "what have we accomplished, this isn't what I wanted".