Why Did You Go To College?

What made you decide to go to college? Family expectations, just the thing to do, higher earnings potential, a teacher who inspired you?

I can tell you the day I decided to go: My dad, who was an intelligent guy, but had just a grade school education, came home one day from job hunting just about the time I got home from school. He had gone to apply for a job as a janitor in a manufacturing plant and was more 'down' than I had ever seen him because they wouldn't allow him to apply without a high school education. (Remember the day when employers just set whatever standards they wanted???) That was it for me. No one was ever going to tell me I couldn't apply for a job just because I didn't have that sheepskin! Realistically, now, I should probably have a law degree. : )

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I went to college to put off going to work for 4 more years. Actually, my goal was to be a musician and I was considering one of the military bands. They preferred to enlist musicians who had a 4 year degree in music. Also, I was classified 4S for the military draft for a student deferral that kept me out of VietNam.
  • At the time I was a kid. It was never a question, as I recall. My grandfather went to Mississippi Agricultural and Mechanical, which became Mississippi State College where my dad graduated, which became Mississippi State University where my brother went; so, I inherited the suitcase they used. I went back to get a master's degree for specific reasons. I wanted to learn more about counseling, which I was involved in and I wanted to have it on my resume, which has paid off. Plus, when you're in your late 20s, a college campus is a great place to troll, or at least dream.
  • My paternal grandparents were college graduates, my parents were college graduates...it was just assumed that I would go to college. What I still can't figure out is why I let my cousin convince me to go to the University of Buffalo (which he was going to attend) instead of a college in Florida.
  • I went to work for the Federal Reserve Bank of NY right after high school graduation. There was no money for college tuition.

My parents grew up in Poland and neither of them finished grade school because of the war. Seeing them struggle their entire life, "getting educated" was my number one priority.

The Fed paid 100% for all college expenses so it was a no-brainer. I went nights. Looking back on it now, it was one of the most major decisions I have made. That piece of paper didn't make me smarter, it made me wiser.
  • I was expected to go. My dad went, my mom went to nursing school and, I think, always regretted not going to college.

I'm glad that I went, but I also realize that it is not for everyone, nor is it the only path to success. My step-kids are much more hands on....I would never push them toward a 4-year degree if they were not ready or interested.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 08:48AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I went because I was sick of being told that my "career and financial advancement opportunities were limited due to lack of formal education", which was religiously written on my annual evaluations, all the while the company was "using" my "uneducated" talents in a management position in a male dominated company. You do the math; 250 employees 89 engineers (1 female-no minorities) 30 managers (2 female/1 was me and even that was not formally recognized and the other was fired shortly before I left; she filed an EEOC charge and WON!-0 minorities), 95 technicians (2 females-6 minorities); clearly some issues there. So, I went (on the company by the way), earned my BS in HR Management; received no raise, no promotion, not even recognition for earning the degree. I left one year later (so I wouldn't be obligated to repay educational reimbursements) and stepped into an executive/director position with a 25% increase in my salary. So, to sum it up, I will never again be told that I don't have the credentials for advancement and/or salary increases. Have since earned an MS in HR Management and expect to pass the SPHR exam in June.
  • xclap Bravo, dchr9203!!

No one in my family graduated from high school including my parents and siblings. I was not pushed or encouraged to do so but I just did my best in school and, consequently, I graduated. I was actually picked on for doing so well and wanting to go on to college by the family.

I seriously considered college only when the couple I lived with in Maine during my senior year told me that if I went to college, they'd pay my debt at the Church Academy that I was then attending. They told me that I was the one who could break the pattern the rest of my family had "settled" on. I always appreciated their encouragement. My only regret was that I stopped with an Associate in Office Aministration due to constraints put on me by my husband and children. I have always wished that I had continued on to earn a BS or MS. Now that my kids are grown, I can think about myself and how I'll spend the other 1/2 of my life.
  • Do it now!!!! It is never too late and oh such a rewarding experience to achieve it.
  • Honestly, I dropped out of college when I was younger to get married. I followed my husband around the world and back again as he worked on his career.

After getting divorced and returning to small town Iowa with nothing I decided that never again will I be dependent on anyone else to provide me with anything so I returned last year.

I am a single parent of a very active and very involved 5 year old, working full time (45+ hours), and I attend night classes as a full time student. I'll graduate after the October term. I am already trying to figure out what I'll do with my "free time" now that I won't have to spend 12 hours in class and complete 8-10 hours of studying and homework each week!

I work with a lot of "younger" (aka 20-25 year olds) single people and also older ladies who have raised and set their kids on their way, and when they complain about their salary I mention going to school and they say "oh I'm too busy and could never do that" I want to ask what is more important "drinking or your career" but always just bite my lip.

Thanks for posting this as I was having a gloomy day knowing I have 2 tests tonight... it made me put it all back into perspective!

Nietra
  • Hat's off to you! It takes discipline and sacrifice to do what you're doing, but in the end, it will pay off. You hang in there and be proud of the example that you set for your child. The one that says you can do anything you put your mind to and never settle!
  • College wasn't deemed important for 'girls' by my family, so I didn't go immediately. I was 30 years old sitting in front of a key-punch machine (hope I'm not the only one who knows what that is), and after watching the 100th thousand card zip by, I decided I would be forever stuck in a mundane position like that without more education. I reached for the phone and within the week was enrolled at the University of Akron. I took classes at lunch, evening classes, weekenders, and night classes. I graduated when I was 47. A long haul, but worth every class.
  • I went to college for everyone elses reasons, dropped out for my own reasons. Then I began to get an education. After a couple of years, marriage and the start of a family - I decided to finish school for my reasons - mostly about the opportunities that required an education and the need to make enough dough so we could afford to be a family with a stay-at-home mom.
  • As I was growing up, all I heard was “what do you want to be when you get older? & what college do you want to go to?” Most of my family either dropped out of high school or just finished high school. I am the first one in my family to receive a college degree. There was presser from the family but I did it. Now I am working on my masters to excel farther in my career.
  • Didn't have a choice. Told to go, where to go and what sorority to join!
  • Because Uncle Sam made it my assigned place of duty. I was selected for a program called Green to Gold while on active duty in the Army. That was my job, to finish my degree.

Earlier on I had gone for a couple of semesters like all the humanoids in my HS graduating class. Unfortunately, I was more interested in the extracurricular activities than I was in class. My dad told me I was done wasting my time and his money, and the that the best thing for me was to join the Army.

Gene
  • I didn't join the Army untill after college. My mom almost had a heart attack. She blamed my two older sisters for influencing me! It definately wasn't her idea of what to be when one grows up!
  • It was never in doubt, based on my family history, going back to my great, great grandparents.

Just to be sure, I took my first semester off right after high school and worked landscaping for 4 months to make sure I was doing the right thing by going to school. Needless to say, I was ready to enroll when the spring semester arrived.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o