Geocachers?

I am looking for a geocacher in Calif. or on the west coast to help me with a geocache.

If you are a cacher from this region please email or PM me. THanks!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ok whats a geocacher? obviously I'm not one, or am I? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Excuse me? A geocacher? I'm with JudyT. This is obviously not a Texas thing!
  • I did a web search and found that:

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.
  • Exactly! It's only for those who have a sense of adventure. Some geocaches can take an hour or it can take a day to a couple of days. It all depends on the difficulty level of the cache.

My cache can only be located by using a 4x4 vehicle.

Any cachers on the west coast?
  • A really big fad for those with the proper equipment. One of my son's best friends just sent a jacket to another friend in China through cachers. Most participants make a game out of it. I'm not real sure of all the details so maybe JM will enlighten us.
  • There really aren't any rules. Some groups of people may organize a cache with rules and objectives, but for the most part it is purely for the fun of the hunt.

I guess the rules are, don't move the cache, don't take from the cache if you don't have anything to give, do not disclose the location of the cache to others who are not cachers, do not reveal the location of the cache to other cachers who have not yet found it.

Some cachers who set up their own cache's might leave rules or objectives and then it becomes a game to relocate the cache once it's been moved.

You really have to be involved in the "sport" to really understand it. It would be like trying to explain participating on a BB board to someone whose never used a computer.

I'm not saying that you CAN'T understand it, it's just a thing that most people have to be "in to" to appreciate it. Does that make any sense?
  • I think I'm sorry I asked... Now I'm even more confused. x:-8
  • I thought it was a big hole in the ground where old Geo Metros were buried.
  • Sounds no different from the CB 'Hunts' people used to have, and maybe still do. The club would meet up and each car had to have a CB. A person with a home base station would moderate. One member would 'hide' somewhere in the general geographic area, maybe within a ten mile circle and the other members would have to scatter and find the hider based on his signal. You would have to watch the needle on your radio during reception to see if you were far or near the hider. They would all get on one channel, converse and act goofy and whoever found him would get something like fifty bucks or a case of beer or treated to a free lap dance by the wife of the club president. Great fun.
  • Geez, I feel old and out of touch with technology. I feel old, because I remember when my mom had a CB and my "handle" was "Peanut" and out of touch with technology because I don't know what a cache is...
  • It is a great sport here in AZ. One of the "rewards" is visiting parts of the country you would not normally see. Some of the hiding spots also have a log. You can see who was there before you and from where they came.

People leave all kinds of stuff i.e. sea shell, key chain, toy truck, business cards, colored stones, marbles, etc.

If you have the time and nothing else to do, look up an area on their web site [url]www.geocaching.com[/url] and go for a ride. Oh, take a memento to leave behind.
  • I was listening Sunday early to a radio station with some nut Phychologist analysing people. Rita from Arizona called and they followed up on her previous call. I didn't get a grasp of her problem but it was nutty enough to get on the air. Was that you?