Christmas or Holiday

Diane Sawyer is just the latest in a long list of people who irk me by substituting the word 'holiday' for the word 'Christmas'. She just gave her headlines for today and mentioned that 'A babysitter has been arrested for leaving a child unattended, taking the family car and going holiday shopping'. How awkward does that sound? Pretty awkward. The woman obviously went Christmas shopping, not holiday shopping. Or, if we're not sure she did go Christmas shopping, then why not say she went grocery shopping?

Holiday decorations.
Holiday parade.
Holiday closure.
Holiday gift wrap.
Holiday luncheon.
Merry Holiday.

Political correctness? Bah Humbug! Have a Holly Jolly Holiday! And I hope you all get to open the holiday present you've been wanting all year that you didn't get last holiday.

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree. It's a sad commentary on a society that has so "watered down" everything to be "politically correct" that we have lost all reason and sanity about it.

So, which "holiday" are we now shopping for....Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day...(oh, wait, our New Years Day conflicts with other cultures' New Years Day, so maybe we better change that too!)

Anyway, Don, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Rockie
  • But aren't politicians known for making something innocent sound bad and something bad sound innocent?

Happy Christmas!
  • Last weekend my wife and I rang bell for the Salvation Army. Before we started, Lezlie asked me what would be the proper greeting to people. I answered that I would be saying, "Merry Christmas. If people take offense, then f... 'em. If somebody wished me a Happy Chanukah, Ramadon, or Kwanza, I would feel honored and I would respond in kind, because that's meaningful." She said, as only Lezlie can put it, "Yeah, f... 'em. Merry Christmas." By george, I think she's got it!

We had a great time and everyone returned our greeting with a "Merry Christmas" and an occasional "God Bless you for what you're doing" and "Thank you for what you're doing."

My point is that when I wish you a Merry Christmas, I am not shoving my Christianity down your throat. I am merely sharing my joy of the season I celebrate. Likewise, I have Muslim employees who wish me well during Ramadon and one sweetheart of lady who hugs me in the spirit of Kwanza. I am honored, certainly not offended, that they share their joy of their celebrations with me. AND WE ALL GET ALONG JUST FINE!!

Saying Happy Holidays to someone, to me, is like offerring a weak handshake. It's only purpose is to show an artifical political correctness, without expressing too much meaning, God forbid.
  • Very well stated Larry.

Merry Christmas.
  • Here's an interesting quote I picked up on a news blog:

"I'm struck by the fact that you almost never find Orthodox Jews complaining about a Christmas creche in the public square. That is because their children, steeped in the richness of their own religious tradition, know who they are and are not threatened by Christians celebrating their religion in public. They are enlarged by it. It is the more deracinated members of religious minorities, brought up largely ignorant of their own traditions, whose religious identity is so tenuous that they feel the need to be constantly on guard against displays of other religions -- and who think the solution to their predicament is to prevent the other guy from displaying his religion, rather than learning a bit about their own."

I even learned a new word, deracinate, meaning to uproot.

• Forget the politically correct nonsense. If someone is offended by me saying "Merry Christmas", then they have a problem, not me, and they need therapy. Why should I have to submit my religion and what has been celebrated for centuries to just to appese a few "nuts"?

This is the time of year, celebrated around the world, when people of all nations, creed, color, etc, observe the birth of Christ. I agree with what has been said earlier about being enlarged when other wish me well or a "Happy Hannakuh". Diversity comes, not when we suppress, but when we encourage & observe others customs and or beliefs.

I am not a Jew, but I am interested in knowing more about the Jewish Holiday of Hannakuh, including how to spell it correctly. And I wish my Jewish friends a Happy Hannakuh when I see them.

So here's to all, a very Merry and Joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year!
  • Snapshot on the issue: I was just speaking to one of our managers telling her that our office would be closing at noon for our Christmas lunch. It actually felt funny to say it that way, instead of holiday lunch.
  • I heard, more than once, that we should be ready for more of these types of attacks this year, partly in reaction to Bush winning the election and republcans slightly increasing their edge in the House and Senate. The actions taken by the ACLU appear to be confirming that opinion.

I consider myself to be a spiritual being and I don't think our Creator particularly cares much about the various names I use to celebrate, commisserate or otherwise consider our purpose in this life.
  • We had our holiday luncheon yesterday, we changed it from a "Christmas" lunch several years ago to a "Holiday" luncheon to make all our employees feel comfortable. I switched from sending Christmas cards to Holiday cards 15 years ago because I was married to a Jewish man. I don't think many people are necessarily "offended" by being wished a Merry Christmas but by wishing "happy holidays" it encompases all people instead of just christians. And because my cards are usually too late for Christmas or Hanukkah the "happy holidays" includes both plus wishes for the new year.

So... Happy Holidays ya'll!
  • A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too!
  • Hey...maybe George Constanza's father on "Seinfeld" had it right. Happy Festivus!
  • Speaking of Christmas cards...
    My wife and I normally send out several dozen "Christ"mas cards every year. We had a very difficult time finding Christmas cards this year. You can get all the holiday cards you want and then some, but try and find an assortment of Christmas/Christian theme cards at one location. Even our small local bible store only had a few.
    Merry Christmas to all,
    Dutch2
  • I read this somewhere: "This country was founded on the basis of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion".
  • Careful, qsausagelm, the ACLU will get you for that statement. But, you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, certain elements in society are pushing for the freedom from religion concept.
  • Time for one of my rants.

As far as I am concerned the babysitter who left the baby unattended was Greek Orthodox who was buying a Chanukah present for a Jewish friend.

Second, as a Jew, I am fully aware that this is a Christian nation. I am, also, fully aware that there is not one Christian religion. Therefore, I feel it is inappropriate to post something about deracinated members of a minority group. As a fact, most Jews were not uprooted because they chose to be, but because they were forced to be. Second, some Jews are not the only ones who have protested the Creche appearing on public property, it has also been done by some Christians (including ministers).
    If you do not know I am Jewish and wish me a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I appreciate that you thought about me. If you see me on the street and even though you know I Jewish you wish be a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I appreciate the well wishes. As usual, on Christmas Day, I will be at a soup kitchen (you know I'm not going to Church). And, if it is not too late I have a standing invitation to go to a friend's house for leftovers.

And, if I sound overly sensitive, I believe I am no more so than those who resent political correctness.

To everyone, however, I wish good health and peace not just this time of year but throughout the coming 12 months.

• Whatever, reread the quote I posted. It was written by a Jew and as I read it he is actually defending the Jews against those who say it is the Jews who are opposed to the trappings of Christmas. Down through the centuries the Jews have been unfairly accused of many things including the elimination of Christmas. The writer did not specify that the uprooted peoples were just the Jews - he referred to religious minorities which could include many groups. Many Christians fled to the new world in the 17th century because of religious persecution. Today, across the world Christians are persecuted because they are a minority in nonJudeo-Christian countries.

I am aware you are Jewish and I remember you telling last year about serving in a soup kitchen. My intent was not to offend you, but to present an interesting point of view to the discussion.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-17-04 AT 03:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I had suspected the writer was Jewish. There are Orthodox Jews (certainly not all) who believe that Jews that do not observe the religion in the same way as they do are not really Jewish (this is the tactful way of putting it).

Based on your past comments, I was surprised that you posted this blog. After reading your post, I re-read the blog. I tried to see it through your eyes. It is amazing to me that two good people could read the same article and based upon their experiences come to such different interpretations. Again, I was surprised you posted this blog because I knew that you were not a bigot. I knew you did not intend offend. In any case, it served as a great reminder that sometimes you have to try and see things as others see it. xhugs
  • Thanks, Whatever. Of course this is just an excerpt. I interpreted this statement as an indictment of secularization, regardless of one's religious background or belief. Those who are trying to secularlize society and wipe out any religious speech are the real 'enemies' of religious symbolism. And a xhugs back at you.
  • I find it hard to believe that in America today anybody is offended by another based on the religion of both of them or either of them. I am not offended by any religious practice (that I can think of) and I don't think that I offend anybody because of anything I do that is based on religious principles. I listen to Christian gospel quartet music in the privacy of my own truck maybe once a week, with my windows usually rolled up unless I am out in the countryside and the birds haven't objected. If anyone were to hear me, they might object to my singing along, but probably not to the music itself.

• I'm not sure how many of you have heard of the Glenn Beck Show, he is a syndicated conservative talk show host (radio) out of PA. I get him on of a local station here in FL. He did a tour during the Presidential Election called the Real America Tour (he had a book that the tour supported by the same name). He has a great show. I recently heard a parody song he created that pokes fun at the PC crowd trying to make the holidays more acceptable to all groups called Have a RamaHana Kwansmas (based on Have a Holly Jolly Christmas). I about fell over!

I decided this year, I would wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season. I believe that trying to make the holidays PC is wrong, because they are celebrations of beliefs - each person can choose to celebrate his or her own way. I am not offended if someone invites me to their home to celebrate their beliefs and would hope that they would not be offended to share in my celebration. Division is not diversity.

Thank you for your comments and advise on the Forum in the short time that I have been involved. I look forward to continue to learn from and debate with each of you during the coming year!
  • And speaking of Merry Christmas; it has always rubbed me the wrong way for people to write Merry Xmas. What's up with that? I never could bring myself to do the shortcut thing with the 'X'. Maybe 'X' is a symbol of Christ. I'll wait for Ray to advise me on that. Otherwise, it's really stupid.
  • Don, that has rubbed me the wrong way too for many years and I never write it that way. I did read once that the X was first used centuries ago as Greek symbol signifying Christ. It was not meant to x out Christ from the name, it was more akin to calling you Don instead of Donald. But, I'm not a Greek scholar so don't take that to the bank. I doubt very many people recognize it as such.
  • And how does everyone feel about people who say all year they don't believe in God, even say "To your health" instead of "Bless you" when you sneeze, but they put up a tree and give gifts to celebrate Christmas? Can you celebrate the secular part of a religous holiday? What are you celebrating? Santa?

Not critisizing, just pondering and wanted others' take on it.
  • There is no secular part of a religious holiday, is there? Religious holidays are about religion, notwithstanding momentary offshoots into capitalism and hedonistic side-roads. Secularism, as I understand it, is the absence of religion. But, I am sure there are millions of families who have no religious convictions who get sucked into the season and think it's all about a tree and lights and shiney presents and fudge.
  • Yes, you should not forget the fudge!!! I'll bet that after the birthday cake is passed around with the glasses of milk and honey they break out a huge platter of "heavenly" fudge. For some reason it seems the only time of year that we make fudge is around Christmas...wonder how's come?
    Merry Christmas,
    Dutch2
  • If you drive through Ozark Country in Missouri and Arkansas you can get fudge all the time and everywhere. They have billboards advertising it for miles away.
  • Store bought fudge?!? Guess it would do in a pinch. Nobody makes fudge like Momma makes fudge!
  • Merry CHRISTMAS! And may God bless each of us as we celebrate the birth of JESUS CHRIST! As for me, I refuse to succumb to the PC idiocy. Our company still calls a Christmas party, a Christmas party. We support an employee led invocation and I shouted a hearty AMEN when the employee said "in the name of Jesus Christ we pray"!