Market research - "upscale" MREs

Just wanted to see what Forumites think of this. As most of you know, I work for a company that owns hotels. A vendor has approached us with the prospect of selling their "heater meals" to our guests (our hotels do not have restaurants, but there are usually fast food restaurants in close proximity). The "meals" are self-contained and self-heating (no microwave or oven required), and the picture on the box looks really appetizing. I have one sitting on my desk, but I'm too chicken to try it (I remember MREs!)

This company apparently makes MREs (meals, ready to eat) for the military and is trying to break off into the consumer market.

So, let me ask you: It's 2:30 a.m., the weather is lousy, you're tired and check in to the hotel. You see a display of "heater meals," which you can buy from the desk clerk for $6.00 a pop. You have your choice of lasagna, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, beef stew, etc.

How many of you would, given these circumstances, take a chance and try one? If not, why not? If so, WHY??? x;-)

Our Director of Operations is curious about your feedback and I told him I would share - provided it's clean. x;-)

Thanks.

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would never eat something that heavy in the middle of the night and, though your clients' digestion issues aren't necessarily your concern, I was told by a Gulf War Vet that if you don't drink a lot of beverage with your MRE, you could be in for a lot of problems a few hours later.
  • Very true. But, that issue aside, let's say it's not the middle of the night and you're just lazy. Would you spend $6?
  • Honestly, no, I'm really not into 'fast food' due to the high fat and sodium content.

Good luck...and have a good weekend!
  • $6.00 a pop for a MRE. I know this sounds glib and I guess it is meant to be but that's like being charged $2.00 for making a 800 call. In any case, even if I stay at a hotel with a restaurant that is open at that hour, all I really want to do is go to sleep.
  • I don't think I can answer the question until I understand how food heats itself. I must've skipped culinary school on the day they explained that. Pending an explanation, I would have to say that the only way I would eat self-heating meatloaf would be at gunpoint.
  • Yes, I'd try one if there were no alternatives and I was hungry.
  • Beagle: Oh, go ahead and try it. You've eaten worse in your life. Report back to us (if you can). I, too, would be interested in how the things heat. I've never had a MRE, so can't comment on them, but the old C Rations actually had a few good things in them as I recall. I'd try it. Of course, that comes from a guy who was just making up our grocery list for our hunting camp and included the mandatory can of Spam that my brother and I fry up to make sandwiches.
  • Actually, I just poured water on the "heating element" and stuffed everything back in the box like you're supposed to. It's a little unnerving to see steam eminating from the box sitting on my desk, and it's actually getting hot to the touch. I'll let you all know how it tastes - if I'm able.

Re "c" rations: Remember the chocolate nut loaf? That was my favorite part of the meal (aside from the little 5-pack of Marlboros). x;-)
  • I'd have to be really desparate to try one of those "meals" even if it was free. I did get snowed in alone at a hotel at Cincinnatti (?) airport a few years ago and had they not had a well stocked bar I might have been desparate enough to try one of those meals. I wouldn't want to try this anymore than a sandwich from a vending machine (and I love sandwiches!) it just doesn't sound appetizing to me at all.
  • Okay, well, no surprise here - it's not that appetizing. I just tried the three-cheese lasagna; it's very bland and needs substantial amounts of salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash - and maybe some ketchup, mustard, hot sauce.... x;-)

The little heating element (filled with some kind of metallic powder) did get really hot and heat the food all the way through. That in itself was pretty impressive, but the food wasn't.

• From someone that once traveled Monday through Thursday every week, if a fast food or other restaurant were near by, I would not pay $6.00 for the MRE. I haven't had such a meal in over 30 years, back to my ROTC days at college.
    Good luck,
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-14-04 AT 04:13AM (CST)[/font][br][br]It boils down to 'what business are you in', the business of providing sleeping rooms or the restaurant business. I think you're in the business of providing places to sleep, not in the restaurant business. Your analysis should be toward how many people do you think would opt away from staying at your chains because they don't have restaurants as compared to how many would be drawn to repeat lodging because you provided some questionable food of questionable value. I think it's a totally dumb idea which would bring zero monetary value to the business. Can I imagine driving into a village late at night and making my sleeping decison on who has MREs and who doesn't? Nope.

Then, you might try a cheap microwave and complimentary popcorn. What motel nowadays is not within a stone's throw of a heart-attack hamburger joint?

(edit) Sunday 3am thought. These little beef jerky wonders should be about as popular as the glow-sticks.
  • Personally I think it would be a rare occassion when someone would be desperate enough to spend $6 on one. I would exhaust all other alternatives first, like the half Hershey bar in my purse, a vending machine, a box of Ritz crackers from the desk, or near by fast food or just skipping the meal entirely. If your chain wants to offer this as a convenience to travelers, better get references from other customers. Sounds like airline food. If you want our real testimony, get the vendor to give you about 40, let them pay for the shipping, and send us each one. We'll tell the truth.

• Or if you really want to venture off into the restaurant business, get a vendor to place one of those high-dollar machines that spits out ham sandwiches, bar-b-ques, hamburgers, pickles, yogurt and quiche. They also provide microwaves to sit beside their machines. The cost is around $2.50 for most of those spongy, questionably dated items. We have three in our breakroom and they do nothing to help retention. One slot is reserved for Pepto.
  • Well Beag, you tried it and it was blah. The vendor selected this one for you to sample. This particular choice probably was his best one. Can you imagine what the other ones must taste like? Look at it this way. It did not cost you 6 bucks to find out that this is not fine dining.

I personally would not purchase this type of meal. Just not comfortable with the concept.

• I've had them plenty of times so far. I've always felt ripped off when I have to eat them during training. They actually make the officers pay for those meals. (Wowee, we only have to pay 3.00 though.) But they are not Atkins friendly at all. They also aren't low in fat, or friendly to any one who is on any kind of diet. They are meant to be high in calories and fat because it might be your last meal for a while while your in combat and already burning off a lot of those calories.
  • Sorry beag - I wouldn't eat it - even if it cost less than $6.00. Even if the food tasted okay, the idea of "self heating" sounds completely unappetizing. Good luck in your research.
  • Another opinion. I travel quite a bit (for pleasure) and have eaten innumerable portions of even un-identified items, but based on your description, at that price, no way. And believe you-me, I love to eat.
  • Actually, they are shelf-stable products that are not bad if you heat them and serve them on a plate.
    Unfortunately, back when I had to eat them, MRE's did not come with heaters (actually, we were not offered the heaters).

I spent my time in the 75th Ranger Regiment and the 82nd Airborne Division. We carried our meals on our backs. Yes, National Guard is right, they are very high in fat and calories because contrary to popular belief, you're not supposed to eat three of them a day. One ration has enough of a caloric count to sustain you for a day. You just have to break it off into portions.

BTW, I can make a mean tiramisu with MRE poundcake, instant coffee, sugar and cocoa powder. Too bad I never got all components in the same pack and had to trade for them :)

The only drawback to MRE's is their lack of fiber. Hence, the mild laxative chewing gum they put in the pack.

Gene
  • You had me with the tiramisu x:9, but you lost me with the laxative chewing gum.
  • I agree with S Moll, I'd hit the vending machine for crackers before spending $6. Since you can find a 24 hour convenience store or grocery store just about ANYWHERE these days, that's where I'd seek my food. Your hotel is better off offering a list of pizza places that deliver and nearby deli's.

• Beagle: Isn't this the same corporation that was obsessing about 'stick-lights' for kids during a hurricane?
  • The very same. Hey, this company is nothing if not entertaining from time to time. With some of the odd characters around here, I have my screenplay half-written already.

Update re the heater meals: Unanimously rejected for guest consumption by those who tasted them; and the prevalence of local restaurants, microwaves/fridges in every room, etc.