RAY (The Movie)

The guy who plays Ray Charles is superb, excellent in every respect. The music brings back many memories all the way back to '62. But, the movie as a whole is depressing. Rather than celebrating the successes of a wonderful, unequalled musician, you sit through three hours of dope smoking, heroine addiction, adultery, spousal abuse and corny one liners. I have always loved his music and saw him live in '68, when, according to the movie, he was surely stoned out of his mind. I guess a point was made and it had to be chronicled. I just wish I had saved my money.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-08-04 AT 11:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I was glad to see your remarks. I'm not much of a movie fan anyway, but I was wondering how you could do Ray's life in an uplifting way. I too enjoyyed his music, but was dismayed that his life was a series of train wrecks.
  • I, too, am a Ray Charles fan. But, I had already decided not see the movie. Over the years, I have read stories and articles about him and all of them were sad. I did not expect anything else with the movie.
  • I saw it Friday night and loved it! Jamie Foxx is phenomenal. Could hardly believe he was not Ray Charles -- he surely got inside the skin of the character.

Yes, it was hard to see the addiction schenes and his treatment of women who loved him -- but it certainly appeared to be more realistic than not, and he overcame (that's rewarding). I also liked the positive way the movie treated the business relationships, his wife, and flashbacks of Ray's young family life. I will see the movie a few more times to process it more (which I often do when I really like a film).

Don't miss it because some of it is kinda sad. You'll go away humming.
  • I'm with you Dasher. Saw it; loved it!

I saw a lot of positives in the story from the close relationship he had with his mother, to overcoming horrendous obstacles such as drug abuse, finally to coming to terms with, and letting go of all the guilt he had over his brother's death, to whatever small part he *may* have had in uniting (to some small degree) black and white people through his music.

Was a great flick IMHO.

• You mean the movie isn't about Ray A? #-o

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com