"Parties"

I've been invited to two "parties" on the same night. How and when xflash did scrapbooking or looking at a bunch of candles become the makings of a good "party"? To top it off 8-|, I have to pay a "nominal fee" if I want to have a jolly good time at the scrapbooking party or if I go to the candle party, I have to buy something so that the hostess can buy something even better than my choice at a cheaper price...I remember when BYOB and loud music was a party. x:D

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Could be worse, Mwild. The wife of one of my coworkers throws "parties" at which, uh, well, let's say the products are "for mature audiences only" (and no, I don't mean they sell Geritol).

I dread when he brings his wife to a corporate function because she keeps wanting to get our coworkers to host one of her parties. She's quite successful, but I make her check her business cards at the door and behave herself. x;-)
  • I've heard of those kind of "parties", which actually might at least generate a few more laughs than the ones I get invited to. For an update, I just cancelled the candle party (I think there is such a thing as too many candles) and was told by the "hostess", "Oh, that's too bad Mandi. Would you consider coming to my Pampered Chef party next month?" #-o
  • Good for you for ditching the candle party. I don't know what's worse -- "parties" for the purpose of selling stuff to a captive audience or multilevel marketing. Both systems seem to rely heavily on people who don't mind strong-arming their friends and co-workers. Don't get me wrong, some of the products are good and I say if you like this sort of thing, go for it. But I once nearly had to change my identify to escape from a Mary Kay lady who wouldn't stop bugging me after I bought a few products at a "party."

• "But I once nearly had to change my identify to escape from a Mary Kay lady who wouldn't stop bugging me after I bought a few products at a "party."

This cracks me up! It's a little embarrassing, but this happened to me about 8 years ago. I was standing in line at the grocery store and I had this very nicely dressed and coiffed lady standing in front of me ask if I had ever considered modeling. I, immediately sensing danger, said no. She then went on and on about how well I put my make-up on, what a great face, etc. Finally, she was really insistent and begged me to consider modeling her Mary Kay products at her "party". Okay, so I was a little flattered, so I said yes. Turns out, EVERYONE was a "model" that showed up at her "party" x:-8 and "gee, we could all get even better results if we purchased her Mary Kay products." It took about 6 months of dodging phone calls and finally moving to get her to stop bugging me.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-06-04 AT 12:49PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Mary Kay doesn't "Do parties" they "do skin care classes"x}>
  • I was in an elevator about three months ago at a fancy hotel. A petite blonde turned toward me and said, "You must be a guy straight off the pages of Playgirl. I don't guess you'd care to accompany me to my room." I almost melted and watched her press the button for floor number 2, as she whispered '206'. I watched in silence as the elevator jerked upward and the number 2 flashed and the doors opened. She winked toward me. I started to tell her my name and she spun around and said, "I'm not talking to you, you dunce." About that time a thin, tall young man brushed past by me and hooked his arm into hers and they walked away. The door closed as I imagined the party I must have missed. x:-)
  • Yeah Don, dreams often take strange twists and turns since we cannot control them while asleep.
  • Ok, I don't do "parties". Soooooooo, the catalogues, brochures and order forms, are handed to me with a smile and "Just look what you will be missing" said in an admonishing tone. Then you feel like you have to order something. I ordered the cheapest item I could find. When it came time to pay up, there was a $8.00 shipping and handling charge for a $1.99 thingy.

Lesson learned. But now I have an answer for the next "party". Sorry, can't afford it.
  • One with batteries would have been much more expensive, I'm told.
  • Recently I was invited to a Tupperware party (Coworker) and a Pampered Chef party (a coworker's wife). I did not attend either "party". I can buy Tupperware at the local mall and I have enough junk in my kitchen. My coworker's wife (I feel bad for my coworker) asked him to ask me if I would spend just $17 so she could get something else free or a bigger discount or something from Pampered Chef. I could tell he was embarassed to ask me, but told me he explained to his wife that I need to save money because my fiancee and I are paying for our wedding. I told him I couldn't for the reason he mentioned. I will occasionally purchase items from their daughter for school fund raisers. I do hate the "parties".
  • A bunch of overpriced "junk" that breaks or goes into a kitchen cabinet never to be seen again or until you are looking for stuff to donate to a garage sale.

Sounds like an incredibly boring way to spend an evening. Stay home and watch "Nemo" again!

• Not to mention the games that a three year old would find stupid.
  • Stupid games at "buying" parties?!?! Not to steal the thread, but how about stupid games at showers? I think bridal showers should take a queue from bachelor parties x;-).
  • Oh no, you cant be serious! So, you want brides to go out, drink till they puke and do all kinds of things that they can't admit to later because it would ruin the marriage? Stupid games are also known as ice breakers which I have experienced at various meetings and workshops!
  • Les, I'm glad you "stole the thread" so I could mention the latest baby shower game I was subjected to that completely grossed me out. They put different scents (using extracts, lotions, etc.) into newborn disposable diapers and passed them around. Everyone had to stick their nose down into each diaper and guess the fragrance. The fragrances were benign, but I really didn't want to stick my nose into the the seat of a diaper, thank you. I've heard there's an even worse version of this indignity that involves various melted candy bars.

You're right about bridal showers vs. bachelor parties. If there's one thing that threatens our status as the superior sex, it may be that we have completely misguided ideas about what constitutes a party. x:D
  • May I interrupt for clarification? Are these diapers fresh out of the box?