Notable presidential quotes

"If I were to go over my life again, I would be a shoemaker rather than an American statesman."

John Adams

"Ha ha! You are making up your Cabinet. I in a lighthearted way have spent the morning testing the rifles for my African trip."

Teddy Roosevelt in a note to his friend and successor, William Howard Taft

"I am glad to be going. This is the lonesomest place in the world."

William Howard Taft, as he left the White House for the last time

"The White House is a prison. I can't get away from the men who dog my footsteps. I am in jail."

Warren G. Harding

"This job is nothing but a 20-ring circus -- with a whole lot of bad actors."

Herbert Hoover

"If forced to choose between the penitentiary and the White House for four years... I would say the penitentiary, thank you."

Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman

"As to the presidency, the two happiest days of my life were those of my entrance upon the office and my surrender of it."

Martin Van Buren

"Four years of this kind of intellectual dissipation may cripple me for the remainder of my life."

Rutherford B. Hayes

"I have often thought that if there had been a good rap group around in those days I might have chosen a career in music instead of politics."

Richard Nixon

"The office of president is generally esteemed a very high and dignified position....I think the public would not so regard it if they could... observe the kind of people by whom I am often annoyed."

James Polk

"Sometimes I feel like the fire hydrant looking at a pack of dogs."

Bill Clinton

"From my boyhood up, it was my ambition to be president. Now I am president of one part of this divided country, at least; but look at me! I wish I had never been born!"

Abraham Lincoln

Given the above, can someone please explain to me who in their right mind would even WANT this job? x;-)

Comments