Voting Irregularities

This subject has been brought up in other posts, but am I missing something? Democrats - considering your obsession with last election and Fla, why is it that the voting irregularities I'm hearing about are all along the lines of the following here in WI?

The City of Milwaukee (a Democrat stronghold) DEMANDED from the county that they be supplied with well over twice the number of ballots that there are registered voters in the city. About 50% more than the total population of the city.

The NAACP doing voter registration of inmates at a local jail (including convicted felons with no right to vote), and dismissing that fact with: 'Oh, I guess one would expect that to happen in some cases.'

Outside of WI, I've heard about voter registrations in multiple states, and more voters registered than the population of the jurisdiction, etc.

Are the Republicans doing the same things, but it's being covered up by the unbiased news media???? Tell me about conservatives doing these things so I can have a more balanced view. Please.

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey. I am a democrat and I am NOT nor have I ever been obsessed with the 2000 election and Florida. The past is past.

I can't answer your question but apparetnly
    there are lots of irregularities showing up in early voting on touchscreens, apparently same types of problems as Florida had in 2000. (i.e. voting for one person and the other candidate receiving the vote). I don't think these reports are biased they are just instances of what is actually happening. So I guess voter beware.

[url]http://www.blackboxvoting.com/[/url]
  • I may have the location wrong, but wasn't it in Ohio or Chicago last week that an officer in the State NAACP was proven to be paying off people in crack cocaine if they would register to vote? This was not 'just' on right-wing radio. It was on the national news. I'm the messenger here, so be careful when you cock your gun.
  • That was here in Ohio.
    [url]http://www.nbc4i.com/politics/3829743/detail.html[/url]

And-- happening elsewhere in the Buckeye state, Nader was kicked off the ballot and the Secy of State is raising hello about where people can vote and can't vote. The convicted felon issue is also causing a commotion. I'm just afraid this will not end on Nov. 3.

Anne in Ohio
  • So that's why Tim Russert keeps saying Ohio, Ohio, Ohio!
  • In Florida, a private detective was taking pictures of black voters from a van. She didn't know who hired her. There is also a list of "targetted voters" in heavily black and democratic areas.

Just look at the literature against Sen. Daschle.

In Pennsylvania, students signing what they thought was a petition discovered they had registered as republicans.

Calls to elderly citizens telling them that their polling place had changed.

Fact of the matter, the republicans have no hold on morality. I answered the above because I'm tired of the Republicans thinking that they are the only ones who take the moral high road. I'm a democrat and moral.

• Ohio will definately be a hot spot. Here in the cleveland area, the democrats have already started crying fowl play.

The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections mailed out information on where to go to vote to all of the newly registered voters in the county. The post office returned over 15,000 of those mailings to the board of elections because the mail was undeliverable, bad addresses, no such person, etc.

The board of elections is now going to send another mass mailing to all of the people whose mail was returned telling them that they have to appear at a hearing to prove they exist if they are to be allowed to vote on Tuesday.

Well, the President of the NAACP here in Cleveland along with all of the County Dems are screaming that the Republicans are behind this racist move.

They are saying that most of the returned mail came from the black community, which are know to vote democratic, therefore making it a blatant case of racial discrimination.

How pathetic is that? I say if you are not smart enough to know where you live, then you are not smart enough to vote. It has absolutely nothing to do with race.

So, the fight is far from over!
  • >In Florida, a private detective was taking
    >pictures of black voters from a van. She didn't
    >know who hired her. There is also a list of
    >"targetted voters" in heavily black and
    >democratic areas.

Rumor, gibberish or Bullsh*t? Multiple choice. I'm sure it could not be that someone was taking photos that showed people coercing others or campaigning within the off-limits area close to the polls, or handing out five dollar bills. Or could it. Just the other side of the coin for your review. One way to prove your point in a legal challenge is to produce photographs of what you say was happening.

A 'list of targetted voters in black areas?' Can you post a copy or attest to the truthfulness of that? Of course not.

• Here's a recent story from North Carolina that blew my mind. Apparently illegal immigrants are registering to vote in large numbers in NC. When they are issued driver's licenses (I gues the DMV doesn't verify identities?), they register to vote, they get their voter registration card, then they'll go to the polls, yada yada yada. When asked what would be done to rectify the situation, some "local official" said that NC does not have the resources to police or control this problem. Unreal!
  • First of all, I make your job a little easier.. check the following: BBC, Argus Leader of S. Dakota, Times Herald in Pennsylvania, The Post-Gazette in Pennsylvania, The Columbus Dispatch in Ohio.

There are also numerous stories in several papers reporting that the Republicans plan to challenge voters (in heavily democratic districts)so that they can slow down the election line and hopefully discourage from staying on line to vote.

Second, Don, why didn't you question the truthfulness of anybody but me. I was simply trying to make the point that peope in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The Republicans, particularly Mr. Rove, have been known to use dirty tricks since before R. Nixon was elected. This is not to exonerate the Democrats. This is to say that the campaign process sucks and is getting worse.

Third, I am truly saddened by my perception of your perception of the type of person I am.

• Whatever; If you've been keeping up this week and last, you'll see that I have with regularity challenged Judy, Whirlwind, and a few others who seem to have an itchy trigger finger for slinging certain stuff. I felt your comment about photographers in Florida was a little off the wall. When I comment that so and so reportedly happen, I typically am repeating what I read or heard on the news and will cite a source. It just sounds so 'Democrat' and so 'exhagerated' to say 'a private detective was found to be photographing black voters', when there could be ten reasonable explanations, including that it might have been a poll watcher who happened to be assigned that job by Democrats. Who knows? I don't know you but I'll buy you a beer. When I challenge something on the Forum, it's actually the post, since I don't know the person. Except for Ray and he's nuts.
  • In other words, Whatever, you're in good company.xhugs

And, Don, I agree that you and I have sparred, but I don't concede to having "slung" anything other than my own opinions and beliefs. I did make one joke about Mr. President's intelligence. Other than that, if you go back and read my posts very carefully, you will see that I have not done any of the following: Sneered about his daughters, made unflattering references to his wife's waist size, impugned his military career, questioned his academic credentials, or any number of other things I've seen in abundance from the Bush supporters. Hell, I haven't even talked about his governorship of Texas, when he was pretty much my employer. I know I didn't improve my popularity on the Forum with my pro-choice position or my statements about Republican family values, but I don't believe I have repeated rumors, quoted undocumented sources, or otherwise "slung" anything. If you believe I have, please point it out specifically and I will either explain, correct, retract, or document.

As for an itchy trigger finger, you Republicans might want to revisit your position on gun safety devices, because some of you appear to be shooting yourselves in the foot with just about every other post. x;-)
  • I don't have the time, energy or desire to go back and try to reread all of your Bush-hating posts. All I do is call 'em as I see 'em. You have been just as inciteful on the Dem side as I have been on the Republican side. I've been challenged, called on it, criticized and censured. If you can dish it out, surely you can accept it. No harm meant. It will all be over in about a week and one or the other of us will buy a four year supply of vaseline. x:-) I have an idea: Whichever of us wins, buys the other a case of vaseline and if you win, I send you a case of frozen catfish. If I win, you send me a case of frozen angus ribeyes.
  • "It will all be over in about a week and one or the other of us will buy a four year supply of vaseline. I have an idea: Whichever of us wins, buys the other a case of vaseline and if you win, I send you a case of frozen catfish. If I win, you send me a case of frozen angus ribeyes."

I bought an eight year supply four years ago.

I fully expect to lose, and I'm not one to take a losing bet, but I'll look into pre-arrangements for the ribeyes if you can sweeten the deal a little bit on your side.
  • Ribeyes are not a common commodity here. Brooklyn beer is much more readily available.
    I like your optimism that this will be over in a week. However, considering the irregularities that are already popping up, I doubt it. I don't know about you, but I am amazed that we can send space vehicles to other planets, see news live from all over the world etc., etc. but we can't seem to get an election process right.
  • What do you mean, you fully expect to lose?

Are you being a martyr?
  • Nope, I just think Bush is going to win. A martyr is someone who would sacrifice their life or some other extremely valuable thing for a cause. I have no intention of sacrificing my life, or even the lives of a few innocent ribeyes without a sizeable point spread.
  • Whirlwind are those longhorn ribeyes? If so go ahead and give them away and come to my fine state for the best steaks in the world!
  • I don't doubt the quality of those Kansas steaks a bit. x:9 I'm not sure we actually eat longhorns in Texas. Near as I can tell, we just have them for ceremonial purposes, such as grazing in the astroturf at Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium
  • Okay, I'm being careful here, so please bear with me. Even though I watch the news every day and read the paper, I hadn't heard of this story before. So, I googled it. It looks like it is a big story out in the area. The problem I have is that in reading through the story, it does not appear to me as though "an officer in the State NAACP was proven to be paying off people in crack cocaine if they would register to vote." Instead, it looks as though a 22 year old claimed that someone was paying him and that someone claimed they were doing it for someone out of Cleveland. It looks like how this became a NAACP issue was that these false registrations were mailed by the NAACP's national voter fund. What's missing for me is how the national voter fund received these registrations in the first place. Could they just be innocent pawns, just mailing off the bulk registrations or is it more sinister? I don't think we know based on the information on the news.

There's so much conspiracy theory going on with one side (conservative pundits) quick to throw mud on the other side (liberal folks) and vice versa that I wonder if we all aren't being "played" by the liberal/conservative media to further enflame and divide folks. It's amazing what gets passed on as news - by both sides.

[url]http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3829969/detail.html[/url]
  • I read the link you posted. It supports what I posted. What the article conveniently left out is the woman's position with the local NAACP and the fact that she has now disappeared with no forwarding address and cannot be located by the media. I was repeating what I heard on at least three national news programs. But, I would expect that persons with a semi-liberal bent would nudge this one over into the speculative or 'what if' column. Apparently this one hasn't made it to 'snopes' yet.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-27-04 AT 07:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pick a fight by belaboring the issue, but I'm not trying to nudge this into the speculative what-if column. I think it's a sorry excuse for news by "professional journalists" that's been manipulated or misreported or for that matter maybe even under reported for someone's political gain - in this case (not trying to be offensive here) Republicans.

I found another article and in this one they know who the woman is & her previous arrest record as well her connection to the NAACP, they said she's a volunteer.

[url]http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041019/NEWS09/410190343[/url]

• >I think it's a sorry excuse for news by
    >"professional journalists" that's been
    >manipulated or misreported or for that matter
    >maybe even under reported for someone's
    >political gain - in this case (not trying to be
    >offensive here) Republicans.
    >
    >
    I fail to see how Republicans could stand to gain from the non-reporting of this story. The woman was attempting to get people to register as Democrats or to influence their votes on that ticket. How might suppressing that benefit Republicans. Republicans would like to have it splashed across the nightly news. But it got very mediocre, sound-bite attention.
  • Hold on now - I am a Republican and an avid supporter of John Kerry. I have some of the same thoughts and beliefs that you do. Maybe I should change over. What do you think?
  • Celeste,

The sequence of posts on this thread has gotten so confusing that I'm not sure who you're talking to. But if by any chance you're talking to me (which is what it looks like from the flowchart above), then I would say I admire your independence. I think it's great to look at the issues and candidates in each and every election -- whether it's for President or local dog catcher -- and see what's in your head and your heart.

But, hey, you won't hear any whining out of me if you decide to become a Democrat permanently! x:-) Meanwhile, you're in good company with other Republicans who support Kerry.
  • Couldn't keep up, I was in Vermont supporting my daughter (it's not easy being a Yankee fan or Jets fan in New England). Just like you, I only repeat what I have read or heard on the news (though in this case, I did not cite the sources).

I understand that Bushites (will this get by the censors) are more prevalent on this site than Kerryites. Tell me my opinion is wrong. Make fun of it if you must. However, please accept that I do have the same standards of honesty as you (This is not intended as a putdown).
    Love to have beer with you sometime,if we don't discuss politics.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-27-04 AT 05:22PM (CST)[/font][br][br]There is so much crap out there on both sides it's hard to believe much of anything anymore. I've stayed out of this for the past few weeks on the Forum. Hell, this damn election almost cost me my relationship. Four more years?!?! Give me six more days and get this damn thing over with!
  • Leslie, don't loose your SO over politics. Heck, this election has convinced my wife to register and vote (for the first time ever) in the same political persuasion as I. We are planning on going to the poll together and will have a great time doing so. The problem is that there are so few electoral votes from my state and I am quite sure this state will give all votes to the Bush side, the real meat and potatoes of this election for us is the local and state candidates/issues. Note: no voting irregularities here, we still use the pencil and paper method.
  • I'm with you Les, but I'm afraid that we have more instore than just 6 days. This battle will probably bubble over for weeks after the election.

We will be bombarded by all the media sources.The best solution I can think of is asking James to purge all post election topics. I'm so tired of all the negative hokum.
  • Oh, I'm not going to Safety - we called a truce about two weeks ago. Being on polar opposite sides of the spectrum makes things a little more challenging.

Ritaanz, I'm afraid your right. Just look at the title of this thread. What was it, December 5 last year before it was "final?"

Hell with it...NASCAR's in Phoenix weekend of November 5th. My biggest worry by then is who is gonna win the Nextel Cup.
  • I agree Leslie. I't almost Thanksgiving and I've gotta fry about 9 turkeys. When you fry a thanksgiving turkey you're supposed to be out in the garage shivering, sipping bourbon, not with 84 degree days like this! This is becoming MY priority. Bush and his damned Kyoto Treaty shenanigans. If it weren't for Bush, I'd have a cold Thanksgiving!