Enlighten Me...Enter at your own risk

13»

Comments

• >>never trust someone who plays an instrument that is constantly changing shape...

or that you can swallow (as I've been told)x:-/
  • I accept the appointment on the Northern Border. As I sit here I can look accross the river to Canada and watch the 180 semis daily delivering Toronto's garbage accross the border with nary a hoot for the potential safety and security problems. Neither trucks nor cars are searched, nor are the occupants questioned until AFTER they have crossed the border, and much of the time, due to traffic, spent many minutes sitting idle on one of the two bridges. These bridges span the seaway and the ship traffic beneath is of extraordinary tonnage. A small bomb in a truck would collapse the bridges, block the seaway, and bring much of the commercial trucking between Can and the USA to a screeching halt. Come to think of it, that would at least stop the mega tons of garbage Can is shipping daily to the US. Oh yes, the Supremes said that garbage, even Canadian garbage, is interstate commerce and therfore regulated by the 4th amend - which means you can't stop it. Well once my appointment is effective I'll inspect each truck's content, with a teaspoon, and by the time I get the first one imspected, Toronto will be ear deep in garbahz, all their trucks will be lined up waiting to be isnpected and stinkin up the entire western coast of Ontario, and I'll bet they'll damn well find some oopen spot in Sascatyuann or Manitobaa to bury their own scat. Turn me loose Ray!
    PS This is not a knock on our wonderful Canadian neighbors. I don't blame them for shipping us their ##### when we're so eager to have it. I blame the idiots in Wash and Lansing for not having the gumption to address the problem.
  • Shadowfax, how many times do I have to tell you to not be so damned vague?
  • Our good friend and no-longer-able-to-post, contributor, CEBUDRAGONLADY, sent me this via email and, with her permission, I am posting it for her here. See, there is a way for ex-participants to continue participating.

"I read the HRHero thread about politics in the Har-har section this week. I really wonder why the deficit is so big, it is not just the wars. Wonder if anyone has compared, line by line, Clinton's budget vs, Bush's. 400 Billion is a lot of red ink. I did like Clinton in that he balanced the budgets, and had a slight surplus. Fixing the damage in Florida is a legitimate expense, even with a deficit. Some of the bureaucrat salaries are not. Not inclined to vote either for Bush or Kerry.  Could anyone calculate how much , %-wise, taxes would have to rise to cover the deficit ? The 400 Billion has to be borrowed, pretty soon at that increasing rate - there will be no more money in the whole World to borrow...then what?"

Chari

• "See, there is a way for ex-participants to continue participating. "

Yep, apparently. Just like there is a way to bring your own booze on a plane, your own popcorn to a movie, heck-your own food to a restaurant!
    Sorry for the interruption, could not resist! I am voting Bush, period.
    scorpio

• I had actually never contemplated bringing my own food to a restaurant, since the primary reason for going to a restaurant is to buy their food. If the primary reason for going into a building was to sit in the dark with other people and eat popcorn, I would probably opt for eating the building's popcorn. And if the reason I climbed into a tube and got in a sitting position and moved about the sky was to drink whiskey, I guess I would drink the whiskey in the tube. Scorpio, tell me if this is going over your head now.
  • "Scorpio, tell me if this is going over your head now."

NO x:P

scorpio (still voting for Bush!)

• Ah, I've been away a couple days, and look what I've missed. And I'm withholding judgement waiting to watch tonight. So far, I just don't know. Hard to jump on a platform that espouses things I simply can't abide - OBTW, that would be W's.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-30-04 AT 05:45PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I feel much the same way, Leslie, but I'm really conflicted - there are many things in the democratic platform I like, but right now my gut is telling me that I'm absolutely tired of being taxed to death, I'm concerned about domestic security (especially after reading the 9/11 Commission Report) and I just don't think Kerry is going to make me feel any better on those counts.

May not get to watch the debate, anyway. Up here we've got a volcano just north of us that seems to be spewing ash and steam and fixin' to erupt. Be interesting to see if an eruption pre-empts the debate!
  • > right now my gut
    >is telling me that I'm absolutely tired of being
    >taxed to death

That's not your gut talkin', Beagle.

• I know, Whirlwind. It's that unreasonable part of me that insists on keeping most of what's mine rather than funneling it to the govt.
  • "So far, I just don't know. Hard to jump on a platform that espouses things I simply can't abide - OBTW, that would be W's."

Providing no information at all is waaaaay beyond vague!

"Man, I don't like what you stand for." "Oh yeah, what". "You know, just what you stand for." "Well, let's discuss it." "I just don't like you."
  • >WHY would I vote for Kerry v.s Bush?
    >What has Kerry done that would swing my vote?
    >What does Kerry stand for?
    >
    >I have yet to figure out any of these from his
    >political platform.
    >
    >I know where Bush stands on most issues and
    >although some of his ideals are not mine I trust
    >him more than Kerry to lead our country but
    >please enlighten me.
    >
    >
    >JMO,
    >Lisa

Big ditto! I like that Bush hasn't swayed and has held his line. I don't like the wishy washy double talking that is Kerry.

Did anyone else catch where Kerry thinks we should turn over our military to the UN? I'm not sure if I heard that right, but it fits in with everything else I've heard from him - I think. Or maybe not. I'll just be wishy washy on Kerry. :)

I agree with the post about Laura Bush. She is a true lady and I just flat out like her.

Did anyone else get the e-mail that showed all of Kerry's mansions? Something like 6 or 7 $1M plus homes. I don't know how true it was, but I'd suspect it was closer to the truth then not, especially with his net worth (I don't know if I'll ever be able to buy Heinz ketchup again).

• I caught that too. I am still confused as to Kerry's stand.

Did I hear wrong or did Kerry say he would send more troops over to Iraq and be out of there in 6mths according to his 4 point plan which he did not disclose at the debate but said to go to his website. I have been to his website and there is nothing on his plan.

Another issue was the 87 billion to outfit the troops which he opposed yet said he thought he was for but got confused. Then Kerry says to the President that the troops should have body armor and more weapons at the debate.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND KERRY!!!!! x:o

I am sooo confused!
  • Did anyone notice the similaries between Bill Clinton and John Kerry during the debate?

I could swear that John Kerry watched Bill's mannerisms and tried to copy them EXACTLY. John Edwards did the same thing!

How comfortable is it to everyone to use a closed fist with just your thumb when you are making a point??? Everyone try it now.......does that feel comfortable and natural???

Clinton did the same thing and it just drives me nuts!!!!
  • What makes discussing Congressional votes confusing and makes them great one-lines for political ads is that one bill can come up for a vote many times. Each time, it may have a different rider attached to it, that may or may not have anything to do with the bill on the floor.

Just as an example the funding for the troops could have come up 3 times, the first with a rider that guaranteed 2 million dollars to florida for voting booths, the next time that rider could be removed and replaced by one providing a million for AIDS research...and finally a bill that has no riders...or ones that someone could vote for.

My point is that sometimes the riders are stuck to a bill that is completely unrelated and congress is stuck choosing to vote for the main part of the bill and letting the rider slide...or voting against the bill and risk seeing it on TV for an entire election cycle. While the FACT is accurate (he voted against the bill) it may not be the whole story. Somethings just can't be captured in a sound bite.

Consistancy is great....but you have to be able to look at the facts at hand and be willing to re-evaluate a position when needed. That does not show inconsistancy, rather it demonstrates the analytical skills needed to make complex decisions.

• Speaking of the military, Kerry has implied and other democrats have directly accused Bush of wanting to reinstitute the draft. I believe Kerry even made reference to it in the debate. Well, there was a bill before congress proposing the reinstitution of the draft and it was sponsored by two democrats, one of which was the Honorable Rangle from NYC. It just came up for a vote and was soundly defeated. Oh but there were two votes for it, both by democratic representatives. Interesting.
  • "Consistancy is great....but you have to be able to look at the facts at hand and be willing to re-evaluate a position when needed. That does not show inconsistancy, rather it demonstrates the analytical skills needed to make complex decisions."

You are wasting your time in HR and should immediately become a Kerry soundbite writer. Don't hide your talent under a Bush.