Slim Jim

I was reading the ingredients on a Slim Jim last night (sitting at a light bored!) The 2nd ingredient listed is a "mechnically separated chicken" WHY do I need that information, does anyone know? "Chicken" as an ingredient would have worked just fine for me. Now, I do not know if I can get that picture out of my mind and eat a Slim Jim. Guess my "city girl" upbringing is showing-I go to the supermarket and buy my food, I have no compelling urge to know how it got there.x:'(

Comments

• 57 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm with you, Scorpio. Separated from what? Is there such thing as manually separated chicken? I'm actually surprised there is chicken in a Slim Jim at all, I assumed it was in the hot dog pig a** pork family. I make every effort to not buy foods that will outlast a nuclear holocaust but in your case, being in Florida, stocking up on never-perishables may not be such a bad idea.
  • Next time you're sitting at a light bored, fiddle with the radio or put in a different CD. Or better yet, check along the side of the road for a red bottle to send to Don.
  • "check along the side of the road for a red bottle to send to Don."

Hey now Ray, do you know anything about this "mechanically separated chicken" thingy?

Or, are you just looking to get me in a pickle with "The Don"???I think I shall not go there!! Both of us getting our bad finger slapped is certainly unnecessary, no? Besides, there are people looking for his bottles, will you send any????
  • Our corporate headquarters is in the heart of chicken processing plants. I could probably find out what it means, but not sure I want to. I offered to paint a bottle red and send it, but he declined the offer.
  • Mechanically separated chicken, picture it, means simply that, after partial deboning and gathering the major parts for packaging, all of the leftover parts of a chicken are sloshed and pushed through a grinding, shredding machine, without benefit of human eye. The process separates the liquid from the solid. The solid; bones, fat, meat, toes, feathers, lips, whatever is left, is separated from the liquid and made into a crunchy paste which winds up in your Slim Jim. There are quite a few products containing 'mechanically separated chicken'. Potted meat products are made the same way.

Margarita mix is not as gross and is somewhat cheaper in hurricane season. Stock up!!
  • Ugh- I just lost my appetite.
  • "The solid; bones, fat, meat, toes, feathers, lips, whatever is left, is separated from the liquid and made into a crunchy paste which winds up in your Slim Jim. "

Thank you, really-I shall NEVER eat a Slim Jim again, period-I may also stop reading ingredient label's and polish my nails instead while sitting at lights bored. UUUGGGHHHHHHH-|
    toes??????lips???????
  • FLASH! FLASH! Sales of 'Slim Jims' have dipped precipitously! Futures market in chaos. Agriculture economy in serious decline. Orders for processing machinery cancelled and several manufacturers seek protection of courts. Celebrating chickens have burned several coops and severely beaten poorly armed foxes sent in to control the burgeoning violence. Kerry concerned the loss of sales will cause sharp decline in consumers use of catsup but expressed great sadness for the violence against chickens. When asked about the plight of the foxes just trying to do their jobs, he opined the foxes should have been more sensitive to the chickens reasons for jubilation and let them express themselves freely. Bush, speaking from his cattle ranch, accused Kerry of 'feathering' his own nest and noted Kerry had missed several crucial votes which might have 'ham'strung the processors and used the occasion to point out Kerry appeared to be flopping around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Tape at eleven!
  • This is good Shadow! By the way, do you know what is meant by 'sitting by lights bored or was it board?'
  • I think it has something to do with drilling equipment operated by lasers.
  • 'sitting by lights bored or was it board?'

"Main Entry: 6bore
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): bored; bor·ing
    : to cause to feel boredom "

I was "BORED", sitting at the light caused me to "feel boredom"!
    Therefore, it is bored, not board.;;)

• Lips, toes, fingers, nose hair, and a few parts that will go unmentioned. Have you never closely examined mechanically separated chicken with a magnifying glass? You should do that sometime when you aren't ironing. x:-)
  • "You should do that sometime when you aren't ironing. "

Ironing? Ironing? Who is ironing??? Did I miss that post?????? I am sooo confused. #-o
  • Ya gotta keep up, Scorpio. And don't admit to confusion - Don will jump on that weakness. Dutch2 admitted on another thread that he does the ironing in his home.
  • Once again...glad I'm a vegetarian!
  • Scorp, see what you have done? Just what the world needed to know. Trust The Don to come up with a rational, step by step, disgusting answer. But that leftover "stuff" has to go into something. And.....all this time I thought it went into cat and dog food. Duh!
  • "Trust The Don to come up with a rational, step by step, disgusting answer."

pppssstttt, don't tell on me but, I expected and was waiting for "The Don's" post on this one. The lips, toes etc. was a bit much, but, his reply was descriptive and informative!
  • I'm getting caught up on this thread and it is just about time for lunch. Wonder if the cafeteria is serving processed chicken today? Monday is usually "Salisbury Steak" day. Processed steak! Wonder how it is processed?
  • At least your cafeteria isn't serving headcheese... then you'd really have something to write about!
  • How about headcheese and a side of mountain oysters? I went with a hot dog. I already know that is full of interesting pig and cow parts.
  • Here is what I found on the internet re: mechanically separated food" And lookkkkeeee here, people already knew about the Slim Jim thing and did not tell me!

Do you know what MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN (or mechanically separated turkey, or pork) is? You may think it is just chicken that is separated mechanically, right? NOPE! It is actually the stripped carcass of the bird. Stripped as in all meat has been removed and the only thing left is the tissue, immature sex glands and bone. They take this carcass and, at a high temperature, push it through a sieve. This creates a gray past that then can be used in foods. I was appalled to learn this. I was even more appalled when I learned it is found in most pantries. For example, CAMPBELL'S CREAM OF CHICKEN, most frozen meatballs, some deli meats, just about all chicken and turkey franks, turkey bacon etc. (EDITOR'S NOTE: It is also a major component of one of my favorite comfort foods: Slim Jims.) My question: why would companies like Campbell's be using mechanically separated chicken in Cream of Chicken soup? It doesn't contain an enormous amount of chicken that Campbell's feel they need to cut corners. And shouldn't consumers be made aware of what mechanically separated chicken is? Maybe you can help get the word out. I think you will surprise MANY of your readers. (ediets.com article)
  • OK Scorp, now tell us about headcheese and mountain oysters.
  • I'm still tryin' to figure out what the "processed pork liquid" in my favorite taco sauce is!
  • Now I know I really will never eat Spam again.
  • Another name for Slim Jim is deli spam.
  • OK, that is too gross. I do not eat hotdogs or deli meats. I occasionally, maybe twice a year, eat bacon. I do not eat meat very often and have to crave red meat before I eat it so I never even buy it, I just get take out when my carnivorous urges take over! =P~
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-13-04 AT 12:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]If you had ever worked at a restaurant you may have second thoughts about ordering take out.

Even the finest restaurants drop a burger on the floor, wipe it off and throw it back on the grill once in a while when they're in a big hurry! No? x;)
  • I've worked in plenty of restaurants so I know what goes on. I tended bar at one place that was so gross, I hated going down to the beer cooler to change the kegs because I knew I'd find all sorts of critters hanging out. I used to put my coat in a plastic bag before hanging it up - out of the customers' sight. I don't eat fast food and my favorite places are those with open kitchens so there is nothing to hide. I do, of course, eat in regular restaurants, but I hold on to the hope that my stomach acids will kill any germs that are on my food. xpray
  • >Even the finest restaurants drop a burger on the
    >floor, wipe it off and throw it back on the
    >grill once in a while when they're in a big
    >hurry! No? x;)

Yes. One of my ex's was in the restaurant biz and said they all observe the 10-second rule; that it, if it's been on the floor less than 10 seconds, it's still okay to serve. In a fine-dining establishment they might go with 5 seconds.

Where's the "Gag me!" icon?