Happens in threes . . .

It's true isn't it? Bad things happen in threes!

I've been HR here for more than two years; it's been a temporary position and it's coming to an end. In the last two weeks I've been to the lawyer more times than I have in the last two years.

One ee is appealing his WC decision. WC found that the injury didn't happen at work, then the employee quit. Now he's fighting us for "refusal to rehire". He quit. Can that possibly be my fault?

One ee is appealing his Unemployment determination. Should be pretty simple, but I'm preparing.

And last but not least, we have finally terminated a problem supervisor; something I've been working to do for quite awhile based on issues I've observed. The owners finally agreed that it's in the best interest of the company; everything has been carefully documented by me and the dirty deed has been done. Word on the street, he's got a lawyer. He's been here several times already, has been calling employees at home and is trying to make a case against us for various things. Again, I'm not too concerned, we are preparing for the situation.

Is it just me, or does it seem several things always "hit the fan" all at once?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It sure does.

I work in HR Technology. Saturday I got up at 5:30 to validate a conversion upgrade, my remote connection didn't work so I had to schlep into the office. Atleast I can walk.

Today I come in, after the successful conversion and NOTHING works right...we're all dead in the water.

I can't imagine what #3 can possibly be :-S
  • >It's true isn't it? Bad things happen in
    >threes!
    >
    >I've been HR here for more than two years; it's
    >been a temporary position and it's coming to an
    >end. In the last two weeks I've been to the
    >lawyer more times than I have in the last two
    >years.
    >
    >One ee is appealing his WC decision. WC found
    >that the injury didn't happen at work, then the
    >employee quit. Now he's fighting us for
    >"refusal to rehire". He quit. Can that
    >possibly be my fault?
    >
    >One ee is appealing his Unemployment
    >determination. Should be pretty simple, but I'm
    >preparing.
    >
    >And last but not least, we have finally
    >terminated a problem supervisor; something I've
    >been working to do for quite awhile based on
    >issues I've observed. The owners finally agreed
    >that it's in the best interest of the company;
    >everything has been carefully documented by me
    >and the dirty deed has been done. Word on the
    >street, he's got a lawyer. He's been here
    >several times already, has been calling
    >employees at home and is trying to make a case
    >against us for various things. Again, I'm not
    >too concerned, we are preparing for the
    >situation.
    >
    >Is it just me, or does it seem several things
    >always "hit the fan" all at once?

As an employment lawyer, I can tell you, if you only had these three claims and potential claims (even though they all occurred at about the same time), that is an excellent relection on the quality of work you have done for your employer.

Mike

Michael Modl
    Editor, Wisconsin Employment Law Letter
    Axley Brynelson, LLP

• Thanks for that! I hope that holds true as this unfolds.
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! Thanks for THAT!

It's just the pre-season, baby! We were giving you a chance! x;)
  • Yep -- tuff times, as they say.

This was supposed to be my easy year, but it sure is not cracking up to be that way. Oh, well, guess that's why we make the big bucks. Hahaha
  • We seem to be in a good vs. evil ping pong match - for every bad thing that happens, a good one is popping up to keep us sane. We've got a real stinker ex-employee suing us, but then we got word on Friday I think it was that one of our most irritable, demanding employees was leaving permanently. Yippee! Then yesterday, the boss was on vacation. Good. He's back today. Not so good. Keep your chins up - the Carolina Panthers beat the Patriots Saturday 20-17!!!

Linda
  • Please don't say that!

First Charley, then Frances. Is Ivan next?