The Greek Horse

Did anyone read in this mornings paper about the wooden horse left outside the Olympic's arena? Apparently, umder the cover of darkness, someone left a huge wooden horse (300 cubics wide) by the doors outside the arena .

The Greek gentleman in charge of security thinks it's funny and is thinking about moving it inside. Duh. What kind of security is there if you can leave something that huge and not be detected?

Anyone remember another horse that was delivered to the unsuspecting?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Did you mean 300 cubits wide? (1 cubit = 18 inches or roughly 45 centimeters) That's pretty big to go unnoticed and I would imagine a very big truck had to haul it. :-?
  • He wants to bring it in? What a ding dong! I'm sure Turkey (which is believed to be modern day Troy) did not deliver the horse in retalitaiton for a mythological war, but someone sent it with possible bad intentions. Even if the horse is harmless, the implication is kind of scary.
  • And earlier in the week, a dog got past security and into an arena without setting off alarms.
  • Uh oh, If the horse was hollow, filled with dogs wired with bombs, sarin gas pellets and miscellaneous other wmd's....no one would know until it was too late.
  • Marc, you made me smile.
  • Here's the story as it appeared in the morning paper:

GREEK SECURITY TEAM FAILS TO NOTICE GIANT HORSE

Mysterious Wooden Structure Causing Pre-Olympic Jitters

Olympic security officials in Athens, Greece conceded today that they had failed to notice a giant wooden horse that had been wheeled to within meters of the Olympic stadium sometime late last week.

The sudden appearance of the gigantic horse, which was said to measure over one hundred cubits in width, has raised fresh concerns that the security around the Olympic complex might be more porous than originally thought.

“When you’re spending over $1.5 billion in security, quite frankly, somebody shouldn’t be able to wheel a giant wooden horse right up to your stadium,” said one U.S. official today.

But Thanasis Kyriakou, who is coordinating the security efforts for the 2004 Olympics, said that the horse, while of unknown origin, posed no serious security threat to the Games, which are set to begin in three days.

“If anything, this gigantic horse is only bringing more attention to the Olympics,” he said. “I see this horse as a tremendous gift.”

Sharply disagreeing with Mr. Kyriakou is NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol, who said that the unplanned presence of a gigantic horse could ruin his network’s coverage of the Games.

“It’s wrecking all of our camera angles,” Mr. Ebersol said. “Everywhere you look, there’s that dopey horse in the background.”

For his part, Mr. Kyriakou believes that the enormous horse could enhance viewership of the Olympics and has even recommended wheeling the mysterious wooden structure into the stadium itself.

“I say let the horse in,” he said. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

Guess what, it was a hoax. And.....I nibbled.

• "what's the worst that could happen?"?????
    You've got to be kidding me! and this guy is SECURITY???

Ouch!

I almost went over, but my husband was too worried about security problems. Now I see why!
  • Looks like you're not alone, Rita.
  • From the looks of the empty arenas over the weekend, there are plenty of seats for several gigntic horses!