a non-partisan question

There's been a lot of news stories about who is and isn't speaking at the democratic and republican conventions. I have no attention of watching either convention since they are both nothing more than infocommercials that the networks pay for (I will however watch the coverage by the Daily Show). Does anyone plan to watch the conventions?

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Only if extremely bored and can't find anything else entertaining. It is entertainment afterall - both parties.
  • I may watch the dems for entertainment value - I'm guessing the republican convention will be about as exciting as watching paint dry.
  • Beagle, how dare you insult paint that way?
  • You're right, Whirlwind. I hereby apologize for any pigment I offended, either Latex or enamel. x;-)
  • You know, with all these TV shows about decorating someone's house, it's just a matter of time before they have a show about watching paint dry. They could feature sponge painting and faux finishes and it would get better ratings than both conventions. xI-)

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I plan on watching at least a portion of each convention. Last week I found a Teamsters mag in our lunchroom that has the Title, Victory Through Unity, Kerry Rallies Teamsters To Turn Out In November.

We are a non-union facility and this mag had an interesting section on Kerry. He has a quote that I'll share and hope it doesn't violate any copyright rules. If it does read quick before it is deleted.

"I was a Teamster member for several years while in college. I would never have earned the money I had earned or learned what I learned without that experience"

Come on Mr. Kerry get real and come back to reality, oh yea, I forgot, it's politics as usual.

• I won't watch either of them. I don't even know if I will watch any of the debates.
  • Don,
    Have you watched any of the Light Beer debates? Would you vote for the Clydesdale or the No-name?

• I'm sorry. I am prohibited from commenting since I am a participant in the survey. xB-)
  • I'm planning on watching both. x:-)
  • I'm watching the WWF's presentation of "Red v. Blue" - "Condoleeza v. Hillary: May the Better Man Win!"

• Hatchetman!! Are you still with us? Did you re-up? If so, I'm glad you're still here....except when you disagree with me......or is it especially when you disagree with me.
  • Whatever - My apologies for hijacking your thread and going all partisan on you, but the question posed in your initial post begs for me to offer the following (Beagle's paint drying analogy notwithstanding):

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE CONVENTION SCHEDULE: NYC

6:00 PM Opening Prayer led by the Reverend Jerry Falwell
    6:30 PM Pledge of Allegiance
    6:35 PM Burning of Bill of Rights (excluding Second Amendment)
    6:45 PM Salute to the Coalition of the Willing
    6:46 PM Seminar #1: Getting your kid a military deferment
    7:30 PM First Presidential Beer Bong
    7:35 PM Serve Freedom Fries
    7:40 PM EPA Address #1: “Mercury: It's what’s for dinner."
    8:00 PM Vote on which country to invade next
    8:10 PM Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh
    8:15 PM John Ashcroft Lecture: "The Homos are after your children"
    8:30 PM Round table discussion on reproductive rights (MEN only)
    8:50 PM Seminar #2 Corporations: The government of the future
    9:05 PM Second Presidential Beer Bong
    9:10 PM EPA Address #2 "Trees: The real cause of forest fires"
    9:30 PM Break for secret meetings
    10:00 PM Second prayer led by Cal Thomas
    10:15 PM Lecture by Karl Rove: Doublespeak made easy
    10:30 PM Rumsfeld demonstration of how to squint and talk macho
    10:35 PM Bush demonstration of trademark 'deer in headlights' stare
    10:40 PM John Ashcroft demonstrates new mandatory kevlar chastity belt
    10:45 PM Clarence Thomas reads list of black Republicans
    10:46 PM Third Presidential Beer Bong
    10:50 PM Seminar #3 "Education: a drain on our nation's economy"
    11:10 PM Hillary Clinton Pinata
    11:20 PM Second Lecture by John Ashcroft: "Evolutionists: The
    dangerous new cult"
    11:30 PM Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh again
    11:35 PM Blame Clinton
    11:40 PM Laura serves milk and cookies
    11:50 PM Closing Prayer led by Jesus Himself
    12: 00PM Nomination of George W. Bush as Holy Supreme Planetary Master
    of ALL

• You left out Arnold Schwartzenegger talking about how not to be politically correct when it comes to women.
  • Actually, the ones he referred to are men acting as women. You misunderstood. He called them 'girley men'. And don't delete me here Ann; it's all over the news.
  • And "girly men" came from SNL skits. Now I wonder which way politically SNL leans? Hmmmm...
  • I'll watch, if I'm having trouble sleeping.
  • Wouldn't waste my time on either one as long as there are books and old movies available.
  • I'm with you...I think they're playing Grease for the umpteenth time this year.
  • Neither. Personally I think they should move the Olympics up a couple weeks.
  • I watched last night's speeches & they were simply awesome! Doesn't mean I'm going to change my vote, but Gore, Carter and Clinton did great!
  • I thought the Clintons did a good job of supporting the presumptive candidate and his running mate - I still think the Clintons are going to hijack this campaign, somehow, but no evidence shown last night. They circled the wagons for all to see.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a bump they get in the polls following this big sales promotion.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-27-04 AT 11:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm a junkie. I alternated viewing between C-SPAN, CNN and Fox News. Fox News was a surprising choice, but I wanted a heads up on how the conservative folks would twist the information. To my utter surprise, they were pretty, dare I say it, balanced. Plus they didn't have the audio problems that CNN had. I was really disappointed with CNN coverage, but on to another day. x:-)
  • The few minutes of fox news that I caught were balanced also. Perhaps there is a back room agreement for everyone to play nice during the convention. Not a lot of bush bashing by the official democratic speakers and gloves on for the conservative pundits. Seems a fair trade, but you know it won't last long. Perhaps the gloves will be back off just prior to Kerry's remarks, so that he can come back with gracious manners and fly the dove of peace for a few more hours.

That will confuse us for a nano second or two.
  • Marc - as a fellow Independent, which speaker(s) did you find the most compelling in terms of points made? I have to say for me, hands down, it was Carter and Clinton. I thought they both outlined a clear case for international discord. When Carter discussed the resolve and united feelings the world shared with us immediately after 9/11 and how those feelings, instead of being built upon, have been squandered in the past 34 months, well, it was just plain good in my opinion. And, okay, I've already admitted that I'm a junkie, but when Clinton said that wisdom and strength were not opposing forces, I teared up a bit. I can't wait for Kerry to speak and hear how he caps off the rock star start & I'm really looking forward to next month and the Republican Convention.
  • I think Carter is a class human being, but I think he lives in a dream world where we can all hold hands and chant Kum bi ya (sp), and that is his formula for peace. The realities of our planet have never corresponded very well to his vision. But I do admire his work, I think he is a bit out of place in either party.

As to the Clinton duo, I thought they were in rare form. It reminded me of some of the sales meetings we used to have. I had a formula I used to introduce our top sales manager and our CEO and that was to pump the product, the company, and the senior management. That mantra would instill confidence in the line sales people and get them jazzed up to go out and blow out the product.

I thought the dems followed that formula to the letter. Bill can sure turn a phrase and his comment about strength and wisdom was a keeper.

I am too cynical and analytical to get too far into the content of the pep rally, but it was good entertainment. The spin masters on both sides have a lot of material to work with - over the next several days they will tell us what we really should have heard.

I am already feeling dizzy.
  • It's always the case --those not running give the best speeches. And I fully expect Clinton will somehow hijack the convention, just as he did the inauguration (remember the media kept ignoring Bush and focusing on Clinton's departure?)

I actually intend to watch Kerry (unless there is something better on BBC America) Thursday night. Just to see what he has to say.

A poll on MSNBC shows that Bush is still leading Kerry and the primary reason seems to be that Kerry has not given enough specifics as to how he would handle the issues of Iraq, the economy, terrorism, etc.

• >A poll on MSNBC shows that Bush is still leading
    >Kerry and the primary reason seems to be that
    >Kerry has not given enough specifics as to how
    >he would handle the issues of Iraq, the economy,
    >terrorism, etc.

Or how he will handle the interns.8-}

• John Kerry is the wealthiest and most liberal person who has ever run for the office in the history of the United States of America. He speaks of being in touch with the common folk and now (imagine!) claims to be a moderate. I wouldn't watch any of the convention because I can't eat a meal anytime before or after watching maggots feed. Where for God's sakes are the moderates his handlers might trot out to the podium. Where are the 'common folk', not counting Katey Couric and Sean Penn? Or did I miss something? And he's teamed with one of the wealthiest trial lawyers in the country who has made his millions putting businesses out of business. If I could craft a ticket that I'd support and get energized about, it might be Lieberman-McCain.

I expect my post will result in the new Democrat Party mantra, which seems to be: Shove It!

• Don, I'm surprised. You'd support a Democrat and an almost-Democrat?