Here goes, splenda save me!!!

I've been on the south beach diet since thursday and I am struggling. My sister visited from CA last week and extolled the virtues of this diet plan. It is not as restrictive on carbs as Atkins is except in the first two weeks, though it does allow for all sorts of vegetables. I can't eat sugar of any kind until July 2. I am going crazy with cravings. Everyone who has told me about this diet say that they didn't have cravings after the first couple of days and their energy increased. I am having no such luck. Splenda is about the only thing that is keeping me sane. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, but I can email you a picture of me holding a 5 pound Hershey bar. It has 12,000 calories. Interested?
  • That's cruel, Raymond!
    x;-)

• Wait, am I cruel and mean because I'm in the picture or because of the candy bar?
  • If they told you two days....they were super heroes. I believe the book says it takes about two weeks to get all the sugar out of your body.
    If you can resist temptation, after the first week, you will feel so much better being off the sugar and the starches. You will lose your belly "bloat".

My husband lost over 20 pounds and my brother lost 30 pounds in two months, but my brother is at the point where he needs to maintain and not lose any more. (My husband cheats or he would have lost more weight).

You just have to be careful when you reach your goal weight not to go hog wild and start bad habits again.

Anyway, my brother ate some apple pie yesterday and I told him "probably doesn't taste as good as you thought, huh?" He said "Tastes better than I thought. It was goooooood."

Sad fact is - if you eat more than you can burn off in exercise, you will get fat! I don't care if it's carbs, fat or whatever.
  • I also joined Curves and I go workout three times a week. THAT I LOVE!!!!!!! It is so much better than a regular gym.
    It is small with trainers to help everyone, no mirrors to remind you of the work ahead of you and just a generally supportive atmosphere. And it is women only so noone is there to impress or, on the otherhand, to bother you.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-21-04 AT 11:18AM (CST)[/font][br][br]FHR,

I went on Atkins 2/1/2003 am still on the low carb style of eating and have lost a ton of weight. Do you take vitamines? Certain vitamines will help with cravings. Especially important to get the Bcomplex, C, E, and calcium. Do you drink alot of suger free soda? That for some people can cause problems. Good luck. Another huge factor is water, drink lotz.
  • Does south beach permit s/f jello? My hubby and I found that this works pretty well during the "induction period" of atkins.

The other thing that Atkins suggests is taking Chromium to keep your metabolism going...if south beach suggests supplements, take them!

Amen on the water....if you're not getting enough water and vitamins/minerals you'll likely have leg cramps and those are never pleasant!

Good luck!

also, check out Don's low carb stuff on the menu board...he always has great recipies posted.
  • Actually I've always been a big water drinker, 3 and a half to four liters a day. South Beach allows for anything sugar free as long as it is low/0 in carbs
    Do fingernails have carbs? x:P