I Did It Because I Could

Comments

• It is NOT because he had an "immoral roll-in-the-hay," but the FACT that he could LIE to EVERY American without batting an eye and keep denying it! He LIED under OATH! If the President of the United States does not take the OATH to "Tell the Truth, the whole Truth, so help me God" seriously --- why should ANYONE believe they should have to!

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky" I consider a BJ sexual relations. Haven't found anyone yet who doesn't, except Bill.

Sorry, Bill Clinton makes me sick!
  • Power corrupts and it has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative.
  • This is really just one of the acts in the next conspiracy theory. It all has to do with Hilary's run to the whitehouse. If the Clinton's think Bush can be unseated this election, Hilary wants to be the one. If they think George will survive and be re-elected, Hilary wants to be standing in the wings ready for the 2008 election.

Either way, having Bill confess nationally and promote the book takes attention away from Kerry and places it squarely on the Clintons. And during the election year. The Kerry camp wanted Bill to delay his book until after the election. His not doing so is an attempt to derail the Kerry nomination.

Putting this spin on Bill's mistakes places a spotlight on Hilary, the loyal spouse. What strength of character, what noble loyalty, etc, etc, etc.

You watch, Hilary's unofficial Presidential election prospects are behind this.

P.S. I think this is an interesting theory, it does not mean I believe any of it.
  • Actually, Kerry's poll numbers rise when the spotlight is elsewhere....he may welcome the distraction...In fact, Bush may as well with all the 9/11 information coming out and the Iraq not going as well as anyone had hoped.

• Great spin on it all marc. I have always thought there was a deal made between the two Clintons about staying together (after the Monica scandal) in exchange for him helping promote her attempt to become the first ever female president. God help us all ... opps, sorry Jeffrey, thats your exclusive arena.
  • >God help us all ... opps, sorry Jeffrey, thats your exclusive arena.<

No, I think that when it comes to the possibility of Hillary becoming president there are a lot of people calling for God's help!!!

• Including her, no doubt.
  • I believe G. Washington was the first president who didn't spend 100% of his time devoted to the presidency. I am not too sure if it was Washington or Jefferson who was the first president who had a close relationship with a female to whom they were not related. Up until recently, the press would never have reported that a president had had an affair. However, thanks to Richard Nixon and Gary Hart, what use to be fairly common amongst our leaders is now forbidden. And in the past, the presidents were never asked about their indiscretions, therefore, they did not have to lie.
  • >However, thanks to Richard Nixon and Gary Hart, what use to be fairly common amongst our leaders is now forbidden. And in the past, the presidents were never asked about their indiscretions, therefore, they did not have to lie.<

Is this supposed to excuse his behavior & actions? He was "forced" to lie????

• No, he was not forced to lie. He was just the first president to be asked the question.
  • because he was the first President to be so blatant as to put himself in the position of having to be asked the question. AND then he LIED.
    HE CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, HE CHEATED IN THE OVAL OFFICE, HE LIED TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, HE NEVER SHOWED ANY REMORSE OR UNDERSTANDING THAT WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG.
    and a whole bunch of Americans want to excuse the behavior. We deserve better.
  • You are missing my point. Clinton is being excoriated for doing what others have done because today there is no privacy.
    And yes, we deserve better but Bush, who has lied to the American people, never shown any remorse or understanding of what he did was wrong is not better.
  • He is being "excoriated" because he did something very wrong. It isnt less bad because others didnt get caught. It isnt less worthy of reproach because others didnt caught. Using that logic, we shouldnt jail murderers who are caught, because after all -- there are hundreds of murders committed every year that arent solved.
    and.. I dont think he IS being excoriated. That is the problem: he is being excused, pitied, defended by people who are willing to accept this kind of behavior from their leaders. I am NOT willing to accept this kind of behavior from my leaders, from my friends, from my spouse.
  • What defenders and excusers of his behavior do is dumb down the presidency to a level of 'anything goes'. This is a parallel argument to that of those who argue the following: "Crime is a terrible thing; but, the reason so many young people in the inner city commit crimes is because America's establishment has passed them by and offered them no opportunity and they commit crimes of necessity and therefore should not be judged harshly because they have been forced to that outlet. In fact we should reach out to them and excuse their behaviors. It is not their fault. The fault belongs to the rest of us."

It was not Clinton's fault. It is the fault of the fact that he became president, where, as Gillian pointed out, power corrupts. He is a victim of his power. He had no options. And others have probably done it but there were no Linda Tripps at other times in history to expose these people. And others have done other stuff and we perceive the current one to have maybe done other stuff; therefore, we must give Clinton a pass. The man is a victim for God's sakes. Besides, his zipper was defective. It would not lock down like most. The warranty on those zipper boxes clearly cautions that its performance depends on what is is.
  • well said Don. And on that wise note I am saying good night and have a good weekend to you all. Happy Father's day to all for whom that applies.

• Quick question, Leslie: Are you convictions regarding this issue so strong that you would be willing to move, to leave the country and renounce your citizenship because the leader of your country happened to be a philanderer? Regardless of what I may think of the guy in the driver's seat, as long as he gets me to my destination in once piece that's good enough for me.
  • I'm not Leslie, but I'm going to answer anyway. No, I would not renounce my citizenship. I'm an American and proud to be one, regardless of how deplorable or embarrassing the President may be.

That said, I don't feel that the "driver" got me to my destination in one piece. I may have finally arrived, but I arrived bruised & battered.

Clinton is quick to say now that he warned Bush about Al-Queda and bin Laden, but bottom line - who turned bin Laden away when he was offered on a silver platter??????
  • Yahoo said it perfectly. I will add:
    One of the most precious things about this country, is that I CAN publically deplore the actions of my President. I CAN ask for better. And, most importantly, I CAN vote.

I love this country, I hate what Clinton did.
    (please note: I did note say I hate the man, I hate what he did, big difference).

let's all pray for the family of Paul Johnson, who died for one reason: he is an American just like all of us.

• I have no intention of giving up my citizenship because of Clinton's past and present behaviors. What a disjointed question. But, I would like to insist that HE should renounce HIS. Today, Today, he is claiming that his impeachment was a fraudulent joke, perpetrated by 'the vast rightwing conspiracy' that Hillary so often spoke of. The man has no clue. He has no moral compass. But, let's not forget; it is not his fault. His father was a drunken bum and his mother married several times and he lived in the South and women pounced on him and he married the world's greatest dork. How could he possibly be expected to have overcome those combined odds? No way! None of this could possibly be his fault. Remorse is out of the question. I commend Ray Charles' family for cancelling his involvement in the funeral.

The mantra that 'Bush lied about Iraq! Bush lied about Iraq!' is hollow. Nobody yet knows the outcome of that argument.
  • 3 cheers for Don. How refreshing to start my Monday morning off with some decent common sense. thanks, Don.
  • I salute you Don. Well said, well thought. And I agree.
  • Didn't Alec Baldwin promise us he would leave the US and move to France if Bush was elected? Certainly Tim Robbins, Barbara Streisand, Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon could pool their vast resources to find a timeshare across the pond if they felt so morally obligated to follow up on that 'threat' from the 2000 election...

My political leanings and passion have lightened with age, and while I can find something about almost any politician that disgusts me, I have been fortunate enough (so far) that at the end of the day the influence of their decisions on my life is not so severe as it is for others.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Hi Don,

Well said! Unfortunately, there will be some who actually believe this!

By the way, I'm new to the forum in that I don't usually reply to messages. I think maybe I did one time. However, I do read what's on the forum every chance I get and enjoy it tremendously.

Have a good day!
  • Don ( and everyone else interested) we all gotta run home early to catch Oprah and watch her not let our buddy off the hook with his unmitigated pulavering and finally get some 'real' answers..opps, scratch that -wrong day, wrong time, wrong world!
  • It was on today. He was really in his element. An audience full of giggling young white women with freshly whitened teeth and long hair. He looked exactly like a college freshman sitting in the lobby of the girls' dorm, telling one joke after another and all the freshmen girls giggling and giving him squirrel shots. Oprah was particularly brutal. Her toughest question was, "Did you really have to sleep on the couch?"
  • Pallleeeaaasssee.

As if anyone is going to be able to ask the tough questions. They screen all the questions before they can be asked any surprises and either he's outta there or doesn't answer the question.

It would be nice to see someone actually putting him on the spot.

As far as sleep on the couch that's a bunch of huuwweeee. With all the rooms in the White House he couldn't find one that was empty. AGAIN I say. Paallleeeaaassseeeeeeeee!!!!

JMO,
    Lisa
  • Ahhh, to the contrary. He knows all the rooms, and which are empty and which have couches. Saw him on the early news today losing it when the Australian pressman asked a question he didn't like. He got redfaced and blamed the whole situation on Ken Starr and 'people like you who never would let it go'. His comment that really made me reach for the Klennex box was, "It took Hilary a much shorter period of time to forgive me than it took for me to forgive myself."
  • On the Newsweek National website there's a story about the book that I thought I would share.
    Cheryl

Exclusive: A first read of the much-anticipated 'My Life'

..."Clinton acknowledges—as he has before—that his conduct with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky was immoral and, while offering no details about it, links his behavior at one point to a private struggle to "hold the old demons at bay."

After finally confessing his relationship with Lewinsky—a development that forced him to spend more than two months sleeping on a couch—Clinton and his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, entered a yearlong counseling program. During that time, he writes, he "came to understand that when I was exhausted, angry, or feeling isolated and alone, I was more than vulnerable to making selfish and self-destructive personal mistakes about which I would later be ashamed."

Yet Clinton never concedes any legal missteps. During his January 1998 deposition in the Paula Jones case, in which he denied having "sexual relations" with Lewinsky, Clinton writes: "I would have answered … truthfully" if the Jones lawyer had asked the right, specific questions. Clinton was later found in contempt by Susan Webber Wright, the federal judge who presided over the deposition, for giving what she called "false, misleading and evasive answers that were designed to obstruct the judicial process"—words that aren’t quoted in the book.

Like Lisa said "Paallleeessseee!"