Packing Habits-Head 'em up and move 'em out!!

The last couple of posts (courtesy of Sam's "closure" of the SHOES thread and Don's attempt to keep it alive after it probably deserves to be buried deep, deep, deep into the archives) make me wonder:

Among those of you who travel (men and women), how many bags do you drag along? Yes, I am bragging a little bit here, but when I travel to Alabama (or Montana or somewhere requiring air travel), I can get by for a week with one carry-on and my briefcase/laptop. No suit-bags, no crates requiring 500+ pairs of shoes (three pair max - dress black, casual brown, and sneakers). Also, I never wear a suit on my trips (suits tend to alienate the line folks). Bottom line: I think that if S Moll were with my company, we would have to take separate flights because her checked luggage would overload the plane! x:-) (just kidding, Sam. Hope you reaize that!) x:-)

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am going to New York for 3 days and will pack a 22 inch suitcase. In it will be - 4 pairs of shoes - casual for the days, 2 pair dress up for evenings - black and brown, and a very cute pair of pink and gray sneakers just because. I will also bring along two pairs of jeans, a couple t-shirts and jacket, 2 dresses - sleeveless and with sleeves, 3 pairs pajamas, numerous sets of under things (you have to wear a certain kind with certain clothes), a blow dryer, flat iron, facial cleansers, body wash, shampoo/conditioner, brushes, make up, etc. plus books and crocheting for the train ride to and fro. You may think thats an awful lot but I just hate being away from home and wishing I had a certain item with me.

I'm going to Bermuda for a week with my mama and I have to buy a bigger suitcase. We are going to split up the beauty supplies but I'll need way more shoes for that trip because we have to dress up every night for dinner which means of course that I'll need 7 dresses as well. That is in addition to the 7 pool/beach wear and 7 afternoon/shopping outfits.

All this and I have to make sure I still have room for souvenirs :-S
  • I travel with one carry on and my very obedient wife does the same.

Sam, he's not kidding - he meant that slam. Don't trust him.
  • I detest checking in luggage for a flight. It means I have to spend more time at the airport waiting, instead of getting the heck outta there. Plus I figure if I don't check in luggage I don't have to worry about the airline losing it.

I am a pro at packing a carry on to hold me for 5-7 days. And I'll even bring a suit if I need one. I have a great carry-on with a separate area for a suit.

I've even been complimented on my packing skills by customs on the way back from my honeymoon. The agent opened my carry on and saw all my clothes neatly packed. He asked if I had ever been in the military because of the way I packed.
    I told him, "No I just watch Oprah." x:D

My wife on the other hand can barely pack for weekend trip to Vegas without bringing 2 bags of clothes and another bag for make-up and hair products.

• Wait a minute! Hold the bus! I admit to the shoe thing. I like my shoes. But I've traveled enough to know that I will never ever be able to pack an outfit for every conceivable occasion. I pack the basics plus two pair of jeans. Besides, I've never been so far away from a mall that I couldn't remedy the situation if need be. So Beag, I've got it down to an art - one suitcase, one garment bag, one carry on. And how in the world do you get by with a carry on and a laptop for a week? There's barely enough room for your three pairs of shoes and skivies!
  • I pack for almost any trip in one carry-on size suitcase, plus I carry my crocheting in a tote bag.

My husband can't go anywhere without about 42 bags, each of which weighs about 80 pounds. Even a weekend getaway requires that we use the luggage cart at the hotel and request a first-floor room - it takes him at least three trips to unload the car! I have no idea what he carries in them, and we always seem to end up at a WalMart or Target store to fill in the items he forgot to pack.
  • I usually end up with one checked bag and one carry on. My husband likes to brag that he can get by with just his carry on, but negelects to mention all the things of his that end up in my bags because they won't fit in his.
  • I don't know if it's the same with you (Beagle) but I know after 21 years in the Air Force I've learned to take nothing but a SMALL carry on! Speaking of which,I just can't stand those people who bring on two carry-ons (sometimes bigger then checked baggage) and take the overhead space from everyone else. And to top it off, you look down by their feet and sure as (you know what) nothing but stretched out legs under their seat! You would think the airlines would stop them from this (and some do) but you would also think people would have a little consideration for other travellers. Airplanes are crowded enough the way it is!
  • I know the feeling, and I think one of the benefits of a stint in the service is the ability to pack light (and to pack sensibly). I still remember fitting all my worldly possessions into one US-issue duffel bag (all uniforms, boots, shoes, etc.) when I left basic training.
  • Always only pack one bag. However, I, also, carry a briefcase. I long for the days when the overhead bin was for coats only and if you carried on any luggage, it had to fit under your seat. (But then again, in those days the food was decent (if not great), the movie was free).
  • I can usually get away with one stuffed to the brim carry on. But I carry a big purse, too. x:)
  • I'm an admitted over-packer. I know going into it that I'm not going to wear half the things I bring. However, I just can't stop myself.
  • Me too. Let's commisserate over hot fudge sundaes. What do you say? x;)
  • My son lives in the Bay area and works in the video game industry. He came over to Phoenix for a three day "summit" with Sony Playstation folks, at which he was a speaker the second day...at the Ritz Carlton no less. He gets off the plane in MC Hammer '90s parachute pants, a shirt reminiscent of long underwear with a sweat shirt over. Carrying a back pack...his only luggage.

After we went to dinner, we were sitting outside the Ritz waiting for my car. He had a cocktail hour to attend. He says, "Guess I'll go upstairs and shower." I'm about ready to say, "And change your clothes?" when I realize what in the world can be stuffed in that back pack that would look better than what he had on at that moment.

I still wonder if he gave his talk in those parachute pants....
  • I am going on an August vacation to Washington DC-
    aiming to pack one small carry-on bag, mix and match clothes, small essentials and that's it. My spouse taught me how to pack military-style when filling a bag.

Chari
  • Flying to Seattle next week for my daughters wedding. Taking two pair of shoes - tux shoes & a casual pair. Just two mind you. x:D Only luggage will be in the baggage for my tux & everything else will fit into that same unit. Just taking minimal & can either wash if I run into trouble or buy new. xB-)
  • No matter how carefully I pack, I always forget something. A belt, pajamas, or something. And while I do not overpack, I seem to always put in to much of the wrong kind of clothes. I usually end up wearing blue jeans most of the time - and rarely wear all of the country club golf togs that I bring along.

Just more comfortable in the jeans and workshirt I guess.
  • This is going to be another thread where the ladies tell me that i'm NOT HELPING! xx(

I traveled a good bit for work and learned REALLY FAST to not play the guess where my luggage is game. If I must check luggage, I carry an emergency outfit in my carry one. Unfortunately, I've discovered that I can no longer crochet on flights, metal hook things to do make the cut! So that's one less thing to carry.

If it's a trip of less than 4 days, my carry on is plenty. I have only a few shoes to choose from, so that's not an issue. I try to avoid carrying a purse at all costs...

A longer trip may require checked baggage, but I still pack very light.

My hubby on the other hand.....:oo

we went to FLA last year for 4 days, mostly business, some fun. He had 2 checked bags. I had my carry-on. We had to take separate flights, so it wasn't even like we shared the luggage. He had 3 changes of clothes for each day.
  • I also crochet and although I don't like them as much, plastic hooks are usually ok. I just make sure I'm doing something with one skein/color so I don't have to worry about scissors.
  • I think I have a split personality when it comes to traveling. I love to take plenty of everything so I have choices! But I always see a woman who catches my eye with her single carry on and maybe a small purse. Then I feel this little twinge of envy and wish I could be like that!
  • I am so-o-o glad that business travel days are over.
  • For a three to four day business trip I can get away with 2 pairs of shoes (casual and business), separates (pants/tops/jackets I can mix and match and adjust for weather, evening or cold meeting rooms), 1 nightshirt, 1-2 casual wear items (including the separates I didn't wear for business), undies, socks and toiletries. It's a small suitcase, it unzips to larger (for souvenirs and materials), and I check it. I also take a carry-on that will accommodate my purse, a book, a note pad, a sweater and bottle of water and fit under my seat! If the seminar materials are too vast, I FedEx them back to the office.

In the same small suitcase, I spent two weeks in London and Venice with 2 pairs of shoes, 5 pairs of pants, a blazer, a sweater, a rain jacket, 7 long and short sleeve tops, undies, socks and toiletries. Same carry-on, same contents with additional guidebooks and purse separate. It took a small extra bag to get the books and souvenirs home.

To go to my parents for 5 days it takes a larger suitcase, multiple changes of clothes and shoes, etc.!