Small Vacation to Branson, MO

Hey, has anyone ever beent to Branson, MO? A friend and I are wanting to make a small getaway in June and we thought about going to Branson. The only problem is that neither of us have ever been and we need to know what fun lurks out there. Anyone have any suggestions on good places to go and activities to do?

Thanks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Kind of depends on what your idea of "fun" is. If you like seeing shows like "Shoji" and the "Baldknobbers" & other hillbilly hoots like that, Branson is the place for you. You could also go to "Steal Your Dollar City" where the fun continues. Then there's the draw of a large outlet mall where retailers try to convince you that the prices they're stating are actually LESS than you'd pay at the department store at home.

Me - I can't stand the crowds of rude people knocking you down to get to the nearest Kettle Korn stand, nor do I find much humor in the "Hillbilly Flashlight" - #1 seller in Ozarkland (a small box with a match in it).

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm not big on Branson - highly overrated if you ask me! Maybe there's someone out there who has a different thought for you.......
  • Be sure to visit "Old Town" Branson. Some very great shops and eating places. Do NOT skip the
    5 and 10 cent store. Talk about nostalgic!!! Saw some things there that I had not seen in years. The 2-3 hours spent in there was worth the whole trip. The Roy Rogers museum brought back many childhood memories.

Also be sure to take a trip out to Table Top lake. A very beautiful spot and the fishing is great. You can even take a ride across the lake on the DUCK.

As far as the shows, the other poster was correct. When you have seen one you have seen them all. Just my opinion and not necessarily shared by my wife.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-05-04 AT 10:19AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I was in Springfield this weekend (about 30-40 miles north of Branson) and drove down to do some shopping. The strip is very hectic, but there is definitely a lot to do.

They have a number of shows. Most are hillbilly or country, but they also have some others. (I saw a billboard on the way down advertising the Beach Boys and the Moody Blues for April 30th and May 1st.) There is a lot of golfing, boating, swimming, etc., type of things to do. Table Rock lake is just one of the nearby lakes. They are beautiful, and so is the scenery (on the edge of the Ozarks). It is not far to several caves. I have only been to Fairy Cave. I went there some 30 years ago, but I still remember it. I had a good time. I would like to go to the big one just north of Springfield sometime, but I can never seem to manage it in my short visits.

I understand there are 3 amusement parks now. Silver Dollar City, Celebration something, and a water park. I think I heard you can get a package that will get you into all 3. I haven't been to Silver Dollar City since 1968, and have never been to the other 2 so can't tell you anything about them.

Also, don't miss Shepherd of the Hills. It is an outdoor play that most people enjoy.

I would imagine if you look online for Branson or Missouri you will find a number of sites offering information.

Good luck!
  • Okay, you've got me there - Table Rock is a great lake. There's even a Pizza Hut on the water! You can motor right up, grab some lunch & sit out on the water eating your pizza & drinking whatever beverage you so desire.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy about the whole Branson thing........
  • We live about two hours from Branson and go there for day trips often (ok even some overnighters on occasion, how do you think Eric came to be?)There Are several of the Hillbilly items and shows to be found Hey ya'll are in the Ozarks whadya expect?!
    You can also see other shows..There's the Platters, Kirby VanDirch is an awesome magician to see. The three parks are Silver Dollar City..this takes you back to the 1800's, has several shows to see and lots of rides(mostly water) White Water..Need I say more? and Celebration City..this is a park that is mostly rides it has one show and an amazing laser fireworks show at the end of the evening.
    The Ducks are fun to ride. We enjoy just walking down the strip (Hwy 76) and watching the people. Talbe Rock Lake is beautiful, there are several day cruises that you can go on. The caves are wonderful as is driving north to Springfield and going to Bass Pro Shop (even if you're not a hunter/fisherman the animals are beautiful) also the drivethru animal paradise is neat.
    Ok I've rambled enough, as you can see I think Branson is a nice weekend getaway for us. Of course I moved here from Arkansas so the Hillbilly aspect doesn't affect me.

Ya'll cum don n cee usin.
    Susan

• You should be working for the Branson Chamber of Commerce. Nice explanation of what's there. Thanks. But, one question: Who's Eric?
  • Sorry Guess you didn't read the It's a Boy thread. Eric is the beloved son that came into this world on Valentine's day.
  • So, how was Branson last May or June??????
  • Well all I can say is those roller coasters must really work wonders.