Stressful Tuesday

2»

Comments

• I'm with you on that one. I work and go to school as well and the last thing I need is a hangover on a Saturday morning when I have stuff to do. And at my age, I'm atleast ten years older than the average Boston bar-goer. I have not taken the on-line plunge yet but I have a friend who is trying to talk me into it.
  • Go for it, I say. Don't let my experience scare you. The guy I went out with wasn't an axe murderer. He was very sweet, just low on confidence (which is why I think he "embellished" how he looks now versus 5 years ago). I still have faith in online meeting/dating and will continue to do it. I have co-workers and friends who have met their current boyfriend/girlfriend and even fiance' online.
  • This thread is turning girl-talky. x;-)
  • Ray is still tryin' to get that boy off the couch!
  • Cinderella: Keep trying. I have a friend whose mother found her (the friend's) husband for her online. Bad part is she moved to LA to be with him, but they're happily married for several years now. There's a good one out there for you. I don't blame you for not wanting to meet the players at the bar. Dated a few of them, trust me the dinner wasn't worth the bull**** you had to listen to.
  • Surely you jest if you think your only other alternative is to hit the bars. People meet in the strangest of ways. I met my 21 year old school-teacher future bride when she called me out of the blue one night. She was trying to reach a parent whose child was misbehaving in class. My name was under his name in the phone book. Last weekend we celebrated the 30th anniversary of our first date.

Grocery stores, church, the soccer field, community theatre, volunteering, computer classes, college courses attended in body and flesh, chamber of commerce meetings, personnel associations, walkathons, coed work out places; God, there's no end to places to meet people. If you are not opposed to the possibility of a young man your age who is a single parent, attend a few PTA events or little league ballgames. After all, if he can put up with cats and your mother across the street, you could put up with a ready made family. And, if he's attending PTA (or PTO), he's probably a keeper.

The Forum isn't supposed to be a match service, but I just felt like weighing in on this one in a serious way.

Who knows, you might meet your match on the Forum if you'd post your photo and a real profile.

A man in a bar is not necessarily a cruising scum-bag. I remember single life, going to bars occasionally. I saw more women there cruising for a place to sleep than I did men.
  • No, I don't think the bar is the only other alternative. However, with work, my commute, my family, and school I do not have a lot of time on my hands to go to events specifically for meeting people. I suppose it depends on what you see as priorities in life - what you make time for. I would like to meet a great guy, but I'm not going to go overboard to do it. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, oh well. I don't want to force anything, just help it along a bit which is why I'm doing the eharmony thing. Plus, when people are on a dating site online, it's a pretty good indication that they are looking as well (and are unattached...although you never know!). I'm not interested in meeting a man that "put's up with" my cats. If he doesn't like cats (or at least my cats) then I KNOW we're not compatable.

I know you didn't know this before, but, I live across the street from my parents because my father has Alzheimer's and my mom needs help taking care of him and the family business. If a guy can't put up with that fact, he can take a long walk off a short pier.
  • Dang thats pretty sad if the guy has to lie about his looks when he's only 26. But I agree online dating services are a very good way to meet people. I've done it off and on for a couple years and met a lot of really nice people, one is now my landscaper and another is my accountant. Just as long as you are careful and don't do anything stupid like fly across country to meet them at their place especially if they have a nickname like slavemaster or something...
  • I actually met my Alabama friend via SHRM's website and we dated (long distance - thank goodness for freq flier miles and business trips) until just recently...she's a wonderful woman. x:-(
  • Ok you want to go country..I met my hubby in a cornfield. (Details..He's a farmer and hosts a corn maize in the fall every year. At Halloween it becomes "haunted")
  • She can't be that wonderful Beag, if she isn't dating you anymore. x;-)
  • The woman is from the South. They're known for their intuitive brilliance. x:-)
  • Be nice. Beagpuss may be in the pits over this.
  • My Mom's advice -- that love only happens when your NOT expecting it or looking for it. It certainly came true for me when I met my husband. I was totally not in the market at the time I met him. Even then, it was not like bells ringing and lights flashing, but now he is one of the most important people in my life and many times I feel like he is my guardian angel.xO:)
  • I guess I did that wrong - still "emotion-icon-shortcut-challenged" It was supposed to be an Angel.
    I'll try again. x0:)