SHOES !!

124»

Comments

• I don't know why all this shopping is so hard. We have some areas in town where the shoes are free. Just drive down the street and keep your eyes on the overhead wires. Every so often some considerate soul will have tied the shoe laces together on a pair of shoes and considerately tossed them just right so they are hanging there for your shopping enjoyment. Very handy.
  • I know my husband for one is grateful that I don't have a shoe obsession! I don't understand the need to have a pair for every outfit. When I was younger, before I was married, my 'shoe' obsession was with boots. I had at least 5 different pairs of boots at any given time. Granted they were all black and either in leather or suede with varying heel sizes and height. I even had a pair of what they used to call 'gogo' boots or thigh highs.

Those were the days. Now it's just a black, navy and a beige pair of sensible heels. Damn, did I just say sensible? 8-| Now I feel old.
  • I did not see this thread...until now. And Lord, it took about a half hour to plough through.

I love shoes, hate shopping. Voila...[url]www.zappos.com[/url] and I'm in heaven.
  • Leslie! You have just unleashed the Shoe Phantom. No one is safe now.

One other thought....the gal that had 500 shoes. Can you imagine the space you need to store 500 shoes?
  • I think I'm going with the 'bone' color. Thanks Rad, HRQ, and everyone else. I'll have to buy a pair - I don't have a strap or sling-back 3" heel. Marc, Ray, Beagle - you've all been helpful but it's clear, there's a genetic disorder somewhere.
    Leslie, THANX! It's tough to go shopping in some of those heels of mine. I need a pair to shop in.
  • I bought a pair of pink champagne colored dress shoes 10 years ago for my wedding - that's the last pair of heels I've ever bought! I went through the multiple pairs of shoes thing back in the 1980s - had a Coach purse to match almost every pair.

Still enjoy the Coach purses, but my footwear collection is down to four pairs - steel-toed boots, steel-toed oxfords, navy suede "comfy" shoes (the ones with the elastic at the sides of the instep), and a pair of Adidas for walking.

By the way, marc, I saw a deal on our local newscast last week that explained the shoes hanging over the wires - we have those neighborhoods too, but I never understood the significance. Boy, have I led a sheltered life!
  • OK, I'm sheltered too. What is the significance?
  • I must be sheltered, too. This was on snopes and gives as many reasons as I've seen pairs of shoes hanging overhead.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/sneakers.htm[/url]

Anne in Ohio
  • So, how's the sensitivity training coming along? - I know you guys have given it serious consideration. I, myself have begun a self-help practice. When I travel, as this weekend for an overnighter, I have confined my shoe selection and packed merely 6 pair. Brown leather sandal, white low-heel sandal, tan stretch fishnet sandal, hiking shoes, black flat seashell split-toe sandal, and one pair of dress heels. Very conservative, huh? I feel better. Now this thread can die.

(sigh).
  • Not so fast S Moll! We have not touched yet on the subject of foot fetishes or of foot odor. No self respecting shoe thread would die without a proper discussion of foot hygiene or a treatise on pod caressing and what in early childhood might lead to that affliction. Let's deal with the issue of who buys the most Dr. Scholl odor eaters and why indeed is it that womens' shoes are most often left outside the back door, and what personality type seeks out a job as a shoe salesperson anyway? Do any of you actually know a shoe salesman, and when you greet him, do you shake his hand? There is much to be explored here.
  • Anybody else notice that the ONLY thing Sam packed for her trip were a variety of shoes - some of which could lead to all sorts of interesting things. Fishnet sandals?

Don, I grew up living next to shoe salesman. One strange dude. Very private, never spoke to the neighbors. Kept a high hedge around his property. Very secretive. Hmmmm.....
  • FETISH? Too strong a word, Don. And what the heck is 'pod caressing?' Here I am on the road to recovery and you toss in tangents that may hinder my progress by trying to make me think of what could have occurred in my formative years to perpetuate 'my problem.' Proof - You, above all need sensitivity training. I'm guilty of a perfectly normal phenominon nearly gone rampid; however, I recognized it and brought it to a screeching halt.

I don't need Dr. Sholl's products - as my husband says, I have evolved further.

And Ray, I never said I packed ONLY shoes! That would be a major fashion mistake, although if I packed shirts also I could get into most establishments. Yes, fishnet! They're platforms with an ankle strap - very pretty sandals!

I don't know about shoe salesmen. Only a select few people get to touch my fee.