SHOES !!

Comments

• I own 11 pair, I think;
    - Reeboks (80's style)
    - hiking boots - worn once
    - brown sandals - ugly, won't wear them, but can't bring myself to toss them
    - black sandals, fabric, medium heel
    - tan sandals, strappy, high heel - my current favorite
    - black flip flops - for wearing around the yard
    - black ankle high boots medium heel, dull leather
    - black calf high boots, high heel, semi shiney leather (my winter favorite)
    - 3 pair ankle strappy formal heels, in black, brown and grey. Never worn. Couldn't pass them up.

Shoe purchasing rules;
    - under $10 - if they are incredibly cute, must buy them even if they don't match anything. Something will match, eventually. (the three formal pair were purchased under this rule)
    - over $40 - they better be cute and better match something, and cannot be sandals.

- if they are black and I like them, I buy them, normally regardless of price. Black is NOT all purpose. Texture, print or pattern, fabric or material, level of shine, color of the sole, heel height and thickness all come in to play when matching shoes with an outfit.

Hey, if men can justify buying hundreds of fishing lures that are essentially the same friggin' thing and only get used a few times a year, we can justify the shoes.

AND shoes make us look good. Does a fishing lure do that for you? Surely you don't harass your wives/SO's when they purchase 4" strappy black sandals, do you? It's those boat-shaped flats you are complaining about.
  • Whoa, there, Mustang Sally! Gettin' a little defensive in your last paragraph. x;-)

I never harassed my ex for buying shoes - I just rolled my eyes and shook my head... x:-)

... and by the way, to compare buying shoes with buying fishing lures is like comparing apples and oranges. Fishing lures are a whole different thing and completely justifiable, unlike needless shoe purchases. x;-)
  • >I never harassed my ex for buying shoes - I just
    >rolled my eyes and shook my head... x:-)

My very same reaction about the lures, Pook. x:D

Anyway, if we MUST wear shoes, they might as well look cute and match. If men MUST fish, their lures might as well look cute and match too. My dad used to have one that looked like a mini Budweiser can with a hook. I have no idea whether it was effective, but it was at least interesting to look at. Maybe we ARE comparing apples to apples.

• x:-) I caught that, Whatever! Good, very good.

But back to fishing lures. I know women who are such pushovers for a new shoe, any new shoe, that they'd buy a pair fashioned in the image of a 1957 Heddon Baby Lucky 13 (they're red and white) with double treble hooks. And there absolutely must be a Freudian connection between buying lures, which keeps the men on the lake, which gives the women just another chance to spend the day shoe-shopping which fills up the closets with useless boxes which irritates the husband which forces him back onto the lake which drives her back to the mall. Wouldn't we all be better off just going barefoot, listening to The Righteous Brothers, holding hands and making love? xB-)
  • Ok guys, I read all 58 posts. Where does it say we gals have to justify buying a pair of shoes?

Some of the comments, such as the one from Beaglepuss, "qualify for involuntary committment" reveals a deranged mind.

The one I found interesting was Don's about going barefoot and making love. His paranoia about tossing his Timberlands has given him an obsession to return to the 60's. It has absolutely nothing to do with shoes.
  • I bought a new pair of shoes this weekend, don't fall over from shock, they are a very light aqua color - very cute, very summery. When I showed them to my cousin's five year old daughter she said "Auntie, I love them, my Barbie has shoes just like those!".
  • rad - Talk to me! You buy those shoes, your niece says they look like her Barbie shoes and you're proud of the purchase.... x;-)

I think I'll help facilitate a 12-step group for shoe-a-holics - Insoles Anonymous! x;-) Let me help you!
  • Shoe-a-holic? You have no idea. =P~ Wait till I go to NYC in a few weeks - 5th Ave, here I come! 8-}
  • Keep going! :) You're helping my cause!
  • The new improved version.
  • No, not new and improved. Just the sign-on-from-home version. Have no idea what my login or password for my office is, so, there you go... x:-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-04 AT 07:20AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe James can start a Shoe Site, similar to Hr-de-har har. Call it HR Girls' Shoe Exchange. You ladies can write in to post your excess shoes and you can swap and borrow and exchange and have an unlimited supply of shoes and every time you receive a box in the mail from one of your contemporaries you can smile and tell yourself you are filling the shoes of another HR Manager. x:-)
  • A mere thread won't do. We probably need a website, complete with displays, sizes, item #'s, and shopping cart, return policies, disclaimers, etc., etc., etc.

Great idea!

Let's see, membership fees, web support, updates, legal retainer - Yes! We'll save a TON in shoes!
  • ...And to recycle, you can all send your throwaways my way and I'll make a shoe tree way out in the back yard. It'll have to be downwind of the house, of course.
  • You know, I think that we can really make that work. Don't forget the support group for those times when you just can't find the perfect shoe in your size. I just got a chill thinking about that.
  • (smiling). Ladies I'm with you. I have well over 500 pairs of shoes, ok well I had. Last year I had a garage sale and made $300 on shoes alone (smile). I need to tell you though I was depressed for the next week. I love shoes. I go shopping just to look for shoes. If I find something I like I get every color. You never know when you might find an outfit to match it.

Like one of the others posters stated, I like purses also. I have just as many purses as shoes. I did manage to sell some of them in the garage sale last year also.

But don't despair I've been shopping since last June and I'm back up to 500 pair (smile).

SHOES SHOES SHOES !!!!!!!!
  • "You are my hero"? Is that tabbed under Beagle or nvus? I'm trying to tilt my head to decide.
  • Actually Don, Rad knew you would be the next poster. She's referring to you.
  • OK. It's clear that you guys just don't understand. We know you can't help it - it's genetic.

Here's an quiz: I just bought a new suit in the trendy 'celery' shade. I have a pair of white very dressy heels (not for the office) and a low white open toe (also not for the office). This suit will not blend well with tan, taupe, or brown (which I have all three). So how to you fix this so I can wear the new suit to the office?
  • That's easy, Sam... see if Beagle will sell you his old combat boots. They'd be perfect. Celery, is that like lime green?
  • Creative Ray, but it wont' work unless those boots are a 6 1/2 medium! And by the way, men are color-blind. Lime green is no more like celery than pink is mauve or raspberry.
  • Ouch, men are color blind? Just go get some size 6 1/5 flip flops that have no color and you're good to go!x;-) And, no, you would still be unsafe standing on a swivel chair in flip flops or any other shoe no matter what color they are. Get a step ladder or step stool and follow the directions.x:7
  • This is more evidence in my case for sensitivy training. Only a man would have suggested flip flops with no color. Rad has the right idea, which establishes that I need another pair of shoes. Rad, are you a certified trainer?

(Oh, I thought I got away with the 'swivel chair' thing!)
  • Go with a light bone, just off -white.
  • No, wait a minute. I think it depends on what kind of image she wants. I lean more toward the black high top thick lugged soled boots that young women sometimes wear these days. That would give her either the appearance of youth or the appearance of a tough chick. Prissy light bone colored dainty shoes would make her look to grandmotherly.

Sam, I'm trying to help you out here.
  • Sheesh. Obviously this is an emergency situation requiring immediate paid time off for shoe shopping. When a new outfit does not immediately conjure up the image of a pair of shoes in the owner's closet it requires immediate shopping action to rectify.

Anne in Ohio
  • >OK. It's clear that you guys just don't
    >understand. We know you can't help it - it's
    >genetic.
    >
    >Here's an quiz: I just bought a new suit in the
    >trendy 'celery' shade. I have a pair of white
    >very dressy heels (not for the office) and a low
    >white open toe (also not for the office). This
    >suit will not blend well with tan, taupe, or
    >brown (which I have all three). So how to you
    >fix this so I can wear the new suit to the
    >office?

You didn't describe the style of the suit, only the color so I'm taking a chance here... I suggest bone colored sling back 3" heels, unless sandals are appropriate for your office. Then I'd go for either bone or tan leather, strappy, tan soles. I know you said tan won't work, but the right tone will complement just about anything.

To be safe, buy several pair so you'll have options when you get dressed in the morning. x:D