SHOES !!

Comments

• Exactly! I bought a pair of shoes last weekend that made my heart stop. I mean, I was clinically dead- white light, tunnel, you name it. They are gorgeous! Did I need them? Oh yes. Everyone at work loved them.
  • That's the difference between men and women. For us it is comfort, not fashion.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 10:55AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Part of the problem is I work for a manufacturing company. In summer, I love open toed shoes and sandals but you can't wear them in the factory. And there is no way I am going to wear a suit with shoes that don't match. Therefore, I need at least one pair for walking around the factory and another pair for everywhere else.
  • I can't take this anymore! I have to confess. Besides the normal two pair of dress loafers and a pair of slippers, I have 9 pair of Nikes, each with its own purpose:
    1. Dress (yes, I wear my dress Nikes to weddings)
    2. Work (I walk around alot)
    3. Weekend out and about. (hand-me-down from #2)
    4. Lawn mowing (hand-me-down from #3)
    5. Other outside work.
    6. Workout room.
    7. Running.
    8. Sandles (gotta have a pair of lord boards)
    9. Golf

My wife swears there are more swooshes in the house than there is silverware.

There. I feel better now.
  • LarryC, just to clarify.

If you're OUTSIDE doing on jobs on the WEEKEND AND cutting the LAWN, which shoes do you wear? #3 #4 or #5?

x;)
  • Probably #4 because, most likely, that's what I would do first. However, If I go somewhere to pick something up, etc., I'll dump the grass stained ones and go with the #3's.
  • Larry! Pal! You're halfway there! The first step toward recovery is admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Now, repeat after me... Nike marketing does not own me, Nike marketing does not own me, Nike marketing does not own me...
  • Hey Beagle, leave Larry alone. He's just more in touch with his feminine side than you and I will ever be.
  • Beagle, I'm actually supporting the kids of the world. Who am I to deprive them of their livelihood?

Ray, my feminine side just happens to be my feet.

Cinderella, can you draw me a swoosh utilizing your new hobby?
  • I like shoes, but I would rather spend the money on purses or clothes that make me look thinner. Either that or pie, cake, or doughnuts.

I'm a very contradictive personality. x:D
  • Whoever called shoes an accessory was wrong. You have to start with the shoes and build the rest of the outfit from there! That's the only way to do it. Well, that's the way I used to do it. But 1 husband, 2 kids and 10 years later, I find that things have changed. I find I am in tennis shoes or soccer shoes more often than anything. And 1 pair of black flats will do for work. Every outfit for dress or work that I buy I make sure that it goes with black. Much easier when you have so many other things to think about.

Where did I go wrong? Where did the good times go when you just had to go shopping for that right dress or purse or sweater or braclet to go with the shoes? x:'(
  • Can't help but wonder what those two British women from "What Not To Wear" would have to say about this thread...
  • I have to admit I have 12 pairs of shoes/boots. BUT …. Only 3 of the 12 are for general-purpose use. The other 9 all have a special use intended (i.e. river shoes, snow pacs, hunting, hiking, Steel toe work boots, racket ball, etc.)
  • I have three pair of boots for motorcycle riding. I have my priorities straight and need color and style coordination then more than at work. It broke my heart last summer to retire a pair of dark brown, leather timberland mocassins that I had worn for 'knock-arounds' for at least 10 years. The imprint of every toe and every vein and every footbone were imbedded in those shoes. But, they were irreparably torn up. There was an appropriate funeral. I must admit my very favorite shoes are Birkenstock sandals that I would love to wear 24 hours a day. It is a false rumor that you must live in Oregon, California or Vermont to where Birks. I still have a daughter in college. Every single time she gets a paycheck or a handout from dad, there is a new shoe box on her bedroom floor. She and her mother always say, "Oh, but they were on sale!" Hogwash. She has high-heeled boots, about 6 pair and they are hardly a shade apart and look exactly alike. My wife is an incessant collector of useless stuff. It's a phobia. She has little collections all over the house of everything you can imagine, and shoes are just another symptom of the disease. But I do love it when she wears spurs. x:-)
  • Don in Birkenstocks?x:o

I never knew he was a closet tree-hugger like the rest of us Oregonians! x;-)

Sheesh! I don't even own a pair of Birks!
  • Oh, come on! Even I own a pair of Birks. Granted the straps are black patent leather, but I've got them. They are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my feet. If only they came with a three inch heel x:P
  • Nope. Most of the crowd I hang out with here in Portland considers Birks to be symbolic of Earth First!-ers, ecoterrorists and aging counter-culture Americans in Che Guevera t-shirts. Or residents of Eugene. x;-)

• Wow, Beag what is up with your crowd? I'm an on-the-fence not conservative, not liberal, gen-xer and birks are cool with me. I haven't owned a pair for awhile though - I graduated to fishermen's sandals (doc marten sandals that are comfy as birks but cuter).

Of course, I can't stand the eco-terrorists though. Those ba$#ards set fire to a business in my teeny tiny college town back in the day. What a bunch of idiots.

When I see teenagers and the wannabe's wearing Che shirts it makes me laugh. 99.9% of those people have no idea who he was or what he stood for. Oh - and I am weary of Eugener's too. Too much "happy grass" being passed around down there (same reason I don't go to concerts in Portland)!
  • Can someone explain what a tree hugger is?
  • An environmentalist or a Town Planner; protector of forests and wetlands - don't want to upset the ecosystem yadda, yadda, yadda.
  • Heck not even that. In Washington and Oregon a certified tree hugger is down right nasty to dangerous these days. We're talking standing infront of logging trucks, chaining themselves to trees, trying to LIVE in trees, freaking out if things aren't made with recyclable materials, only buying organic and locally grown produce and being REALLY snotty about it, "straight edgers", etc. I mean, I'm all for doing what you wanna do as a consumer...vote with your pocketbook and all that...but sheesh it gets crazy up here sometimes.
  • I knew the answer to my question, just wanted to get another take on it. Really I wasn't attempting to hijak this thread, with all this talk about shoes and all, I think I'll kick up my feet on the ol desk and look at my Rockports.
  • Cinderella seems to be easily distracted, Safety, so I wouldn't worry about it. In the meantime, I still can't believe you didn't give S Moll a bad time about using a swivel chair as a ladder somewhere in this post!
  • Huh? What? Sorry I wasn't paying attention x;)
  • > My wife is an incessant collector
    >of useless stuff.
    Don- you really shouldn't leave yourself open. This is too easy. x:D However, because we are suppose to use good taste, I'll leave the appropriate responses to everyone's imagination. :-?
  • Shoes are practical, needed attire. SAFETY keeps all his hats & ball caps, I suppose. My husband has t-shirts from every era and from every event -one as far back as "Hands Accross America." They're all in a cedar chest - for what? At least I wear my shoes. I need the platforms for the days when I have to stand on a swivle chair to reach and change the bulletin board. I need others for meetings, still others for trips. You see, function and fashion work together on the job.
  • Thanks for reminding me Parabeagle, that was on my list, just not at the top. Now s moll; that is an unsafe act that would be grounds for dismissal at my place of work. We would consider that a Priority one unsafe act.th-down You may need to do a job hazard analysis and determine the safe way to change the bulletin board. Oh, that’s right, you are a civil servant and may be exempt from some rules.x:P There, now that I have that off my list back to the daily grind.:oo
  • At 5'9" with a size 10 shoe I HATE shoe shopping, and I'm a girl! Every cute shoe looks like an ocean liner in a size 10.

In fact, my idea of heaven is a room full of shoes, all the right size that look cute AND are comfortable.

(My version of h-e-double hockey sticks involves the show COPS with me running around with 10 snot nose kids wearing curlers and no bra. eww)
  • Hey Nrdgrrl! Be proud of your shoe size. In a former life (40+ years ago) I worked in a sawmill. One guy was always ridin another guy about the size of his feet. Finally, the harassee had had enough. Stopped. Turned to the harasser and said: "Ya know Bert, they always put a bigger foundation under a palace than they do an outhouse!" ('cept he didn't say outhouse). Feel free to use.
  • My wife keeps the shoeboxes to stacks them in the closet. The entire bottom portion of her closet is stacked about 40" high all the way around with these boxes. She has another closet in our basement in the same condition and now she is eyeing the floor space in my closet with the thought that more shoeboxes can fit there. I will have to hang my running shoes, casual shoes and dress shoes on hooks somewhere.

Some of these shoes have not been worn for a couple of years, but they are still keepers for just the right situation. I love a flexible pair of NewBalance cross trainers - they go anywhere.