401 thousand a year!!!

Just a little humor for you. No offense to anyone in Arkansas....

At a former job, I was doing a phone interview for a laborer position with a guy from Arkansas. It was a traveling roofer job that paid 9/hr, no real skills necessary. At the end of the interview, the guy said..." I can't believe my lucky stars! In all my like, I never thought I'd earn 401 G's a year!!." While trying not to cry b/c I was laughing so hard, I had to explain that 401(k) was a retirement savings plan. Needless to say, he wasn't to thrilled and didn't accept the job.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not bad money for a roofer - almost as much I make in HR.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-24-04 AT 04:22PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I was screening 200+ resumes today for a full time receptionist and I came across one that had 37 years as a financial manager and listed her 2 employers for that time frame.

No problem - maybe retired and looking for something lighter. Then I get to the bottom of her resume...

JOB PREFERENCES

Job type: Full time
    Min Salary Expected: 90,000.00 US dollars annually

I almost fell to the floor laughing. Needless to say I won't be wasting her time for an interview.
  • Gotta love those. I added pay ranges to our recruitment ads. I was getting resumes from people who claim to have earned $60, $70, $80k/year for jobs that typically pay around $24k, and of course in the interview they'd SWEAR that they can be flexible enough financially to take the cut in pay. Ummmm, yeah, uh huh. 8-|
  • I was recently interviewing for a Sales & Marketing Assistant. The ad clearly indicated that it was a clerical position. Duties included greeting visitors, answering the switchboard, filing, scheduling appointments, etc. The resumes I received were unbelievable. One person even came in to follow up on their resume. Since he had made the effort I decided to give him an interview.

To make a long story short, he had been unemployed for 2 1/2 years. About 2 or 3 minutes into the interview he said, "If this job pays less than $70,000 let me know now. I don't want to waste my time." Being in a particularly playful mood, I showed him the ad and then asked him why he thought this position paid that much. He said because that is how much he is worth. Go figure.
  • And thus the reason he has been unemployed for 2 1/2 years!