I thought it only happened at work

My husband called and left a voice mail here at work this morning that told me I needed to get to the house as soon as possible. His voice sounded funny and I started to panic when I couldn’t get him to answer the land line or his cell phone. So I told the director I had to leave – there was an emergency at home. I flew the two miles home just a nervous wreck, tore up the driveway and into the house – to find him hooking up a brand new honker of wide-screen TV that he just “couldn’t wait for me to see!”

I turned around – out the door – and here I am back at work trying to get my blood pressure back to normal. He had left another voice mail, saying, “What? Are you mad?” while I was on my way back here.

The worst part – I NEVER watch television and could care less about the set.xx(

Anne in Ohio

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-19-04 AT 01:12PM (CST)[/font][br][br]A word to the wise: If my wife treated me like that, I betcha I could find someone to share my pastimes with real quick. It's not too late to curl up in his lap and tell him you love the new TV. You don't have to watch it.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • Don't take me wrong here. I have no objection to the television set, how much he watches it or what he watches. It was the act of frightening me half to death in the process. He had told me last night that he hoped those chest pains he was having were just indigestion. He'll be 57 come Monday. We've been married for over 33 years. It isn't about the TV - it's about the fear.

Anne in Ohio
  • In retaliation, go out and buy a bunch of chick movies to watch on the big "honker". x:D

• Good for him....! Look at the bright side, at least he told you about it before he had it all hooked up!
  • I say he's got some making up to do. Sounds like he doesn't respect the fact that you have a job, an important job, and you can't run at his every whim.

Good luck this weekend . . .
  • I agree. And the possibility of having an accident on the way home is too important to pull a stunt like that.
    But, there is some advantage from your standpoint....there is some making up to do, whether that involves flowers, dinner, wine, well, let your inmagination go, and, remember, you have to tell him what he might do. We don't read minds.
  • What I really want to know is- is it an HDTV-capatible wide screen with home theater surround sound? x:D

• What is it with guys and big TVs? I don't get it. And they think we spend to much on shoes...8-|
  • Don't stay mad too long because it sounds like he has a new #1 in his life and it has a wide screen.
  • Sounds like a guy who has his priorities straight.
  • Just make sure he cleans the screen, the sides, the top etc.
  • What I want to know is, what did you tell your director when you got back to work?

I think that would've been scarey - thinking there was an emergency.

BUT I wouldn't have gone back to work....I would have stayed home to make up... x}>
  • You could truthfully have said to the director , "Well, you know that
    so-and-so has a bad heart, and I worry..."

Let the director draw his/her own conclusions.

Chari

• My director, the treasurer, the assistant director and many other staff members (all female) thought the whole thing was hilarious! A lot of TV-related comments came my way all day.

And for HRsage
    "What I really want to know is- is it an HDTV-capatible wide screen with home theater surround sound?"
    Yep.....this thing has more bells and whistles than you can imagine. It really is a knockout.

And today is his birthday - all is forgiven.

Anne in Ohio
  • You gotta admire a 57 year old guy who suddenly show up with a beauty, 'a knockout', especially with a striking profile, bells and whistles and soft features. At least he brought her home instead of meeting her in some Sports Bar a couple of times a week! That's what most of us do.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • Sounds like you had a good "get mad and get over" personnal time. Life is to short to stay mad at stuff like that. By the way, does HDTV stand for "His Dream TV"?

Don, I like your new disclaimer.
  • Anne,

I would have responded just the way you did - terrified that there was something seriously wrong, and livid when it turned out that it was just a new toy.

I can't believe how inconsiderate some spouses are of work hours. Mine works at home (sales), is never up when I leave home in the morning, often still in his sweats not having showered yet when I get home. Then, he'll call me, interrupt my train of thought when I'm working on a big project, and want to read me today's "Dilbert" comic or the latest e-mail he received from an old high school classmate. He seems puzzled if I seem preoccupied when he does this!

Anyway, glad to hear that all is forgiven. Go get yourself some great, classic movies on DVD and learn to enjoy the "honker" yourself!
  • Awww come on now Psrcelle...he's probably calling because he misses you, loves you, wants to hear your voice, wants to make you laugh, etc. Try to enjoy it...a lot of us would love to have a significant other, especially one who calls for no reason other than to share a Dilbert comic with us. xpray
  • I think your husband acted appropriately under the circumstances. Think about it -- It's not every day that one acquires a superbly-featured, widescreen HDTV system. I agree with Ray - your hubby definitely has his priorities straight x;-)Personally, I'm jealous. I'd love to have a system like that (who needs a wife if you have HDTV, DVD, VHS, Surroundsound and digital cable?) x;-)
  • Your husband sounds enthusiastic. On the other hand, in my family, saying someone is "enthusiastic" is a code for "stupid".

I have been called the most enthusiastic person on both sides of my family tree.
  • You’re right, Parabeagle! I’ve had the thought more and more just recently of moving to the Carolinas to be nearer my kids and grandson. If I came home on occasional weekends, do you think he’d notice I left? Keep in mind he has cable, satellite, VCR and DVD hookups. I’m looking for a city/town about equidistant from Raleigh NC and Florence SC. Haven’t located it yet.
    You’re right, Parabeagle! I’ve had the thought more and more about moving to the Carolinas to be nearer my kids and grandson. If I came home on occasional weekends, do you think he’d notice I left? Keep in mind he has cable, satellite, VCR and DVD hookups. I’m looking for a city/town about equidistant from Raleigh NC and Florence SC. Haven’t located it yet.

I'm sure he would come along if I shipped the television first.

Anne in Ohio

Anne in Ohio
  • You're repeating yourself, Anne.

You're repeating yourself, Anne.
  • (who needs a wife if you have
    >HDTV, DVD, VHS, Surroundsound and digital
    >cable?) x;-)

Wives do not exist merely for our husbands' entertainment, Pookiebeagle. x;-)

My husband bought a big ol' honker last fall - doesn't match a darned thing in our family room, but once I got used to a big shiney silver monolith in our neutral toned family room, I was OK. Now we get to watch Spongebob Squarepants on a much larger screen.
  • Just in time for the March Madness. Sounds like a great investment to me.
  • Growing up, we weren't allowed to have TV. My big brother snuck an old BW tv into his bedroom and kept it hidden in the closet until my sister discovered it when she was poking through his stuff. He got in a lot of trouble. The funny part is that the TV never worked but somehow my brother derived some pleasure from just knowing it was there.

I resented my parents for not having a TV in our home when I was growing up. I resented them deeply. I can't stress that enough. Deeply.

The irony is now they have one and we got rid of ours two years ago. I guess being a parent makes you see the world differently.
  • Paul, we have 8 TV's at our house. Let me know when you're ready to come back to the Dark Side and I'll send you one. x:D
  • I love tv. Absolutely love it. I don't have cable - just the local channels (and most of them are a little snowy). However, I am picky about what I watch and I don't watch tv much anyway (Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune every night at my mom and dad's house and that's about it).
    I'm sure things will be different when I become parent - I think it is important to play games with your kids, talk to them, exercise with them, etc. and not just let the tv "babysit" them. However, I don't think tv is bad at all. I think that certain shows are inappropriate for children (or heck, even adults!), but that's what parents are for - to guide their children, make good choices for them, protect them but teach them at the same time. There are plenty of good shows out there that are entertaining, funny, and even educational.
  • I'm the one that wants the HUGE HONKIN TV, not my husband. He could careless as long as it has a remote and he doesn't have to shift his butt to turn the channels. He won't let me get one, says we have enough TV's (we too have 6 TV's right now but during football season we have 8). Keep the shoes girls, I'd rather listen to Dale Jr. cranked up in surround sound. x:7