American Idol...

OK, I confess, I'm hooked. x:-8

Typically, I don't watch reality shows...but I got turned onto American Idol this season...and I enjoy listening to kids that can really sing...and even the constructive offerings from the judges...I also like that the producers have not installed a "back stage cam" and enouraged the contestants to be mean and rude to each other. Although they are each seeking to win...they seem to be supportive and genuinely appreciative of everyone's talents.

Having the contestants get cut is harsh and they build up the suspense more than is necessary, but they aren't mean and really praise the departing singer.

Is it just me?

Comments

• 82 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, it's not just you. Awhile back I had started a thread the first go around of American Idol, then again when it was down to Clay or Rueben. I have been hooked since the first show.

Last night I was glad to see Leah Labelle go. Good name, pretty girl, but way too young and scared up on stage. Even my husband said it looked like she was pulled up from the audience and hadn't a clue what to do.

Early on favorites are John Peter Louis, George Huff, Jasmine Trias and Diane DeGarmo (think I spelled them right). Fantasia has a good voice as does the London girl, Jennifer I believe was her first name.

I whole heartedly agree with the judges that this top 12 has by far the most people who can sing and are entertaining.
  • I, too, like Jasmine and George (more because of his personality-he is just amazing to watch)...and it will be hard because they are all talented...just differently. LaToya has an amazing voice, it's polar opposite of Jasmine's.

It will be interesting to watch it unfold...and I'm glad to know I'm not alone!!!
  • You're not alone! I thought Leah was terrible. She sounded worse then many of your night club Kareoke singers. I can't believe Paula put her through. I don't know if you remember the try-outs but there was a girl who was in the Army who I thought was very good!
  • We have a group here in my office that is completely addicted to A.I. - including ME! We have to give our review the morning after each show before we do anything else!

I started watching last season and became hooked. There are so many this year that are good, although it didn't seem so until they narrowed it down to 12. It's hard to pick a favorite, although I think the females are mostly more talented (sorry guys!). I definitely think Matt Rogers needs to go next! I just cringe whenever he is on screen because his personality is so grating.

• I really don't care for the Red Head - Frank Sinatra kid.
  • I totally agree with you. Matt's personality is very grating and he definitely needs to go. He would make a horrible Idol. I got hooked on this show last year and couldn't wait for it to start again this year. The show is just good, clean competition and I'm so glad there's no sniping like on Survivor. It will be interesting to see who wins. Glad Leah is gone--what was Paula thinking?! Still think Clay should have won last year. . .
  • I've been watching on and off, and I don't know all of their names!

Who is the good looking, hair-thinning, goatee guy? Don't tell me that's the one with the personality problem . . . I would like to see him continue on. (I hope he's still there, haven't watched yet this week).

I promise to tune in more next week so I know what I'm talking about, in the meantime, keep us up-to-date! x:D
  • The football player looking one??? That is the one with the annoying personality from prior posts... : )

I kind of feel bad for the red-haired kid...I think he does have talent...and he is different...but he's just lacking the charisma that some of the more seasoned ones have. I feel the same way about Leah...it was just too much for her.

I really like Jasmine (the one with the flower in her hair)... she has a great voice and her presence is just different from LaToya's....I think it may come down to these two.

It will be hard to see George go...he really does just light up the stage....

• So....another tough night.....COUNTY MUSIC!

I was really impressed with Diana Degarmo...and again, Latoya...and surprisingly, Amy.

Matt, Camille, and Jennifer seem the most likely to be voted off...

what do you think?
  • I was just going to say Matt, Camille and Jennifer are going to be the bottom 3. And I think the bottom 2 will be Camille and Jennifer. People like Matt for whatever reason.

I'm not a big fan of Country music, but I was really impressed with some of the perormances.

My money is on Latoya to win it all. She's been the most consistent. But with the wacky voting audience, you never know.

• I still don't like the red-headed John kid. Last night suited him well but he has one tone only. And, no personality!
  • I'm up to speed on the individuals and have to say I like the "football-player" because he's easy on the eyes.

The red-haired guy has to go!
  • I think Camile or Jennifer will be voted off tonight - Amy & LaToya were the best last night. It seemed like most of the others had a hard time with the category and were out of tune. Matt was actually singing better last night, but he is still not my favorite based on his personality (too arrogant).
  • So Matt was voted off....but I have to say, he went with a certian amount of...um....panash....he crooned to the judges and sounded much better than the night before...but still not as good as a majority of the group!

We'll probably see him peddling some product in the future!

Very surprised to see Diana Degarmo in the bottom 3....what do you guys think of that?

Are any of you voting or just watching? I've only been watching...but 19 million voters is a lot!
  • I was also surprised to see Diana in bottom 3. I have not been voting, but many people in my office have. One of our VP's lives in same town as Diana, kids go to same school. He is gently pressuring all of his direct reports to call in for her!

Matt is gone - hooray! We probably have not seen the end of him yet though.... I can see him doing sports reporting, given how much he liked to bring up the Rose Bowl before! (he was on a winning team before)

• x:'( Matt's gone! He was eye-candy, if nothing else. x:'(

Yes, I tried voting for Matt, but the lines were busy the entire time!

x:'(

• I am pleased to see that Diana was in the top 3 last night. She deserved it for her Tuesday night performance. She is young and lacks some of the polish and the "contact with audience' that LaToya has, but she does have an excellent voice. She is a hometown favorite and from what I understand a really nice kid. Great manners. I can't wait to see the dress she wears next week if Simon does go shopping with her. (I can't figure out why he won't say anything nice about her. I think he realizes that she will have a hard time in the music industry because she is too nice.)
    There are several folks there who have great voices, but some I have a hard time understanding, words are slurred.
    E Wart
  • I think it comes down to a popularity contest because Matt definetly wasn't the worse there was. I was very surprised to see Diane D. in the bottom 3. The other girl in the bottom 3 last night (don't know her name) should definetly go. She has no personality and can't sing!!!
  • Were any of you kind of put off by Fantasia's attitude after her performance and Simon's comments??

I find that most of them are respectful of the comments and critique of the performance...even if they are dying inside.

She has an interesting voice...but I have a hard time with the personality....is it me?
  • No, it isn't you. I can't stand her personality either. She is very arrogant. I think the contestants should take the criticisms with a smile and move on--that would be the classy thing to do.
  • I can't believe they got rid of Matt last night. Camille should have been the one to go, or Jon. He forgot the words and shows little personality and diversity in his singing.

I know that everyone but LaToya and Amy had an 'off' night, but even Simon said (LOL) that it's the whole 'country' thing.

It's getting harder and harder to choose...

• Motown...I have to admit that I was anticipating an upbeat exciting show...but overall...it was not...so many of the singers were flat...it may have been that the band was too loud...but most did not stand out...

Camille, The red-head-John (i think), Jennifer Hudson, John Peter Lewis...any of these could be voted off...

Jasmine, Diana, Latoya, Fantasia, and George all gave good performances....

I still have a hard time with Fantasia's personna...

what did you think of the guest judges??
  • Didn't get to watch last night. The Fox network was on the blink! I do agree about Fantasia, I can't stand her just because her attitude. Man, look what we've resorted to...a bunch of reality junkies!
  • I hope somebody puts John out of his misery soon, let him go this week! I feel bad for the guy, he's almost seems like he doesn't want to be there.
  • I agree that John, Jon Peter Lewis and Camile should be the bottom three tonight and John Stevens does appear pitiful on there.

Fantasia's personality doesn't bother me so much - she really looks like a professional performer whenever she sings though.

For the record, Idol is the ONLY reality tv I watch!
  • This is also the only reality show I watch...and I have to reason that it's different than some others are marketed...there is no behind-the-scenes cat fighting...no drama between the contestants...even the banter on stage between the judges and the contestants doesn't seem staged or hyped.

The kids aren't forced to eat weird things or do dangerous stunts..they sing. and if they sing well, they get to come back.

• AMY???? xflash

I didn't see that coming...and LaToya in the bottom 3????

I never imagined that Amy would win...but she is certainly better than John, Camille, and even Jennifer...

??????

x:-/
  • I guess if I don't vote it's hard to complain about the results, but I definitely did not agree with the bottom 3 either! Amy is a much better singer/performer than Camile, John, or Jon Peter Lewis....maybe it was the pink hair that turned people off? She handled it very well and seemed very professional in her comments though. John Stevens looked just as surprised as all of us that he was not in the bottom 3, didn't he?

• I agree, John looked confused himself. I still say that he is uncomfortable and wants out as badly as we want him out.
  • The redheaded guy and Camille have got to go. So does JPL at some point. I could not believe LaToya was in the bottom three. She is actually my favorite to win--well, maybe between her and George. He has such a winning smile. I am hoping eventually the redheaded guy (can't remember his name) and Camille go. I also don't like Fantasia. She has a good voice but the way she says her "s's" sound like "shhhhh" and her attitude leaves a lot to be desired. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next week.