The Passion

2»

Comments

• I think you people should get a grip. This is Jesus we're talking about. There is no way the movie could even begin to show the bloody, horrible death he encountered. And why? For OUR sins. Thank Heaven--he lives today! And thank you Mel for "trying" to bring it to our attention what he must have gone through for US.
  • Callianne: Top 'o the morning to ye...We all have expressed our opinions of the movie and the majority have expressed sentiments that resemble yours. It IS Jesus we're talking about and His perfect sacrifice for our sins. The movie and book are only tools that have served to remind us of it and to help us experience this terrible event in a small way ourselves.

• "I think you people should get a grip"

Harsh words...

My mother always taught me:
    "Sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to just not say anything at all."

• "I think you people should get a grip."

Callianne,

Was that statement completely necessary? We are having a healthy discussion about our feelings that have everything to do with Jesus. God works in mysterious ways. I for one think that with all of the hate in the world today, that perhaps God inspired Mel to bring to the forefront of our minds what His son sacrificed for our sins through the medium of the movies. Will we ever know exactly what happened? No.

I call this divine intervention, for I am a visual person and this movie has inspired me to be more faithful. I will say it again, God works in mysterious ways. Wouldn't it be great if this movie inspired the majority of people to try and be better? I know I'm a dreamer, but my faith is what carries me through.

• I've been reading this thread with interest and decided maybe I should post finally. I haven't seen the film, but I have read the Book - the original as in the Bible. I am heartened by all the positive comments so far and by the distinct lack of negative comments considering this film has been so polarizing in society in general. Those of you who know me well, realize I am a musician, too. One of my musical outlets is composition and about 3-5 years ago I wrote and composed Christmas and Resurrection cantatas for my church choir. For the text I used the words right from the Gospels with some modification for literary effect. Doing so, I had to immerse myself in what the Gospel writers have given us. Writing the music to go along with those words was a very emotional and uplifting experience. For years I have wanted to set Isaiah 53 to music and that was the last song I was able to write - "For He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities...".
  • Ray, that's great! xclap God has given you an incredible talent that some forumites who can't carry a tune in a bucket with a cover envy greatly.

Years ago my husband and I sang in a cantata called "No Greater Love" and it was an incredible experience. See, I can sing as long as there are lots of other voices out there to drown me out. x;-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-04 AT 09:50AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If you are referring to the John W. Peterson work, it is an excellent cantata, I have both sung it and directed it.
  • Yes, that's the one!
    Our choir director is kinda new at directing and he shyed away from doing it this Easter. I hope he'll build up enough confidence for next year.
  • It's interesting, I did a search for John W. Peterson and most of his music is now out of print. He wrote some very nice melodies and his harmonies weren't so bad either - good decent music for a church choir. I'm encouraged to hear that his music is still appreciated. Sorry for getting off topic, but, that is my reputation.
  • I too did a search over the holidays. I found nothing for the No Greater Love cantata. I didn't even find who to write to for permission to copy the one book that I do have. Any ideas?
  • Years ago I also sang that cantata. What memories. Was your musical along the line of Handels Messiah??

Hey Safety Witch, isn't it kind of funny to be a Christian then have to be called a witch. I ask in jest as I imagine you are just passionate about your job. I don't want to make anyone mad in this thread since it has been so positive and uplifting. I'm just asking to give you hassle.

My wife & I have tickets for the movie this weekend.

• Handel is still popular 300+ years later. In 300 years I'll be a distant memory. He wrote the Messiah in less than 1 month. It took me 4 months. The complete Messiah lasts about 3 hours. My cantata lasts about 45 minutes. Nope, can't compare me to Handel. But, I do tend to write along more serious lines, not CCM.
  • Best movie I've every seen. I applaud Mel Gibson for putting his career on the line to tell the story that needs to be told. I've gone several times and each time I pick up something different that I didn't see the previous time. Each time I go I think that I've gotten over the shock and pain of seeing Jesus suffer but I found that not to be true. As a Christian I always knew what Christ did for me but actually seeing it made it so much more real. It made me more humble, more aware of my sinful nature and it made me realize how loved I am.
  • There was an interesting discussion on our Christian radio station regarding the amount of money this movie has made. Mel Gibson funded The Passion out of his own pocket because no studio would. Now the studio heads are looking at the gross ticket sales and think they have missed a huge market segment, i.e. Christians.

The concern now is the studios will start making blockbuster movies aimed at the Christian market, but won't be biblically correct.

Time will tell.
  • I had heard something about that too on our Christian Radio Station in NH. Seems The Passion of the Christ has made something like $270 million. More than any other Christian movie. The Lord of the Rings is the only one that has come close to this movie recently and had made $365+/- million at the box office.

"The concern now is the studios will start making blockbuster movies aimed at the Christian market, but won't be biblically correct."

I agree...sadly.
  • Like Jesus, this movie has a polarizing effect. Even the movie critics are split 50/50 down the line as far as favorable/unfavorable reviews.

The reviews are interesting. Some despised the film while others were inspired.

[url]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ThePassionoftheChrist-1129941/[/url]

Perhaps a person's reaction to the movie is inextricably linked to one's view of Christ.