EOE Verification Call?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured it would be okay here. I just received a call from a person claiming to be verifying our EOE status and that we had a block ad(I think that was what she said) and that we had been doing this for years. She then read me a general EOE statement and asked if we wanted to include our company website address and fax number.

This person knew my name and my title (which she might have gotten from our receptionist, not sure). The ad was $895 or something like that. I did some checking and we have never done anything like that. It all sounds very fishy to me and I wanted to make sure that I was correct in my assumptions.

The woman verifying the information said she was transferring me to the copy department, at which time we got disconnected. She is trying to reach me again, howver before I talk to her, I wanted to make sure it was/wasn't legit before I tell her we aren't interested.

Your thoughts and/or experiences are appreciated.

Amanda

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have received many of these types of calls and my usual response is, "Send me something in writing; I'll look it over but won't make any decision over the phone." They usually never send us anything.

These types of companies use "scare" tactics to get you to subscribe to something you don't really need.
  • In previous posts, I have pointed out that "Company policy forbids me from answering any questions over the phone or approving anything over the phone. Everything must be done by mail." I refuse to give out my e-mail address or the fax number. I never get anything by mail.
  • I've gotten these before too and they prey on your fear of being labeled as anti-diversity if you don't go along. Follow Jaded's advice. It works.

• Thanks guys. That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure. She called back and insisted we were a customer. I asked for a copy of our ad in a previous publication and she hung up. Imagine that.

Amanda

• Every time I get a call soliciting for an organization I always ask for them to mail me the request along with a brochure about their organization. Also, the slew of calls requesting 2 minutes of your time for some sort of survey, ask them to mail it. Nothing, nada arrives.

The EOE calls tell you that you have subscribed for eons but they can not find your ad to send you. Right! I recently received a call from some police benevolent associatiojn league etc. We have caller ID and I asked the "police officer" if he was calling from a legit police department, how come my caller ID shows unknow name, unknown number. Really? he said. The next thing I hear is a dial tone. Drat!

• Ad people are getting very creative. I have this guy that calls me from time to time to advertise for nurses. He takes my local ad and "develops" an ad for me and sends to me for "approval". Mind you, I have never asked him to do this or approved him to do this.

I just give him my standard "we are not advertising outside our local area right now."
    I guess he thinks I will feel so guilty and he has gone to all this trouble and will go ahead and approve the ad!

• I don't recommend you go to the extra trouble of telling them what your policy is and telling them to mail you something. Then you get into more of your wasted time giving them your address and spelling your name three times. As soon as you realize what this pitch is, tell them simply, NO THANK YOU, and hang up.
  • These persistent callers/sellers really don't know how to stop even after I say "no" or hang up - do any of the Forumites know where we can get a phone where I would press a button and only the callers/seller would hear an ear-piercing blast? Today is the day for me to vent....

Chari

• I did that once, with an interesting response. My wife is a teacher in the public school system. Some time ago (trying to be politically correct and gentlemanly as well) she use to get obscenc phone calls each year as the new school year started. The calls came, because she was, and remains so today, a helluva good lookin broad. Anyway, this was before caller id and when it took a federal order to get the phone co to trace a call, she was getting a particularly annoyuing and persistent caller. As flattered as she was, it finally got to the point whee he needed to be discouraged. So, I got one of those hand held aerosol horns they use on boats that makes a quite really awful racket. Well the fella with extremely good taste in women called, my wife answered, he started with the flattery, she handed me the phone, I pressed the button and gave him a godd 3-4 seconds of ear blasting joy, and I heard him exclaim "whoa, you're sick!" But he never called again. I did worry that he might call back and do the same to us, but he didn't. A few years ago my wife opined she must be getting older - because two months into the school year she hadn't had an obscene call. I waited a few days and called her to cheer her up, and she said it just wasn't the same coming from me!
  • It made not have been the same - but the thought sure is sweet. x:-) I love hearing stories about married folks that respect & love each other. Great story Shadowfax!
  • Shadow: Please post your wife's phone number and the time of evening when she's through with the dishes and relaxing. I will pick up where the caller from her past left off. All in the interest of maintaining her self concept, mind you. x:D
  • All you have to do is interrupt and ask, "Now WHERE are you calling from? WHO are you? WHAT is this?" The operator gets discouraged and hanges up. We also get people who want to know the cartridge number of the toner we use in the copier. Once they know that they will send it and bill you for it.