Funny wedding stories

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-04 AT 10:53AM (CST)[/font][br][br]My son got engaged this week! So now there is a lot of wedding talk going on around the house. And will be until September. Any funning wedding stories out there? I'll share two.

I was maid of honor for my cousin many years ago and accidentally stepped on her long floor length veil as she turned to go down the aisle after the ceremony. When they reached the bottom step, her head jerked back until I realized what happened and lifted my foot up. The families in the front row were laughing.

Second one, at my own wedding - My dad who was quite the joker leans over, AS HE IS WALKING MY DOWN THE AISLE, and asks me, "You do know what is going to happen tonight, don't you?" I burst out laughing much to my fathers delight and my mothers chagrin!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Remind me to tell you about my wedding day and getting married in the back seat of a rented 1981 Toyota Corolla on the side of the road in California. It's too long a story for the Forum, but I'll pass it on if you wish. x:-)
  • You won't have to worry about this, but I've been at two weddings where the father of the bride screwed up the response to the "Who gives this woman....?" question. At one, he responded, "My mother and I do." At the other one, the response was, "Her father and I do."

Then, of course, there was my daughter's wedding last summer where her groom (a "goth") just about gave my ex-husband ( who was both father of the bride AND officiating minister) a stroke when the groom smiled and showed his vampire fangs!
  • I've been trying to figure out how to tell this story because there is a naughty word in it but its hysterical and I think I've got it- at a friend's reception the priest was giving his blessing and talking about the beautiful bride. English is not his first language. He was talking about how serene and calm she looked as she walked down thje aisle and said her vows, not like some brides who "cry their b****<< rhymes with halls>> off"... the room went silent, no one knew what to say or do, then after about a minute no one could hold it in any longer, we all started to luagh just as the poor man realized what he said. He meant to say "bawling their eyes out" and just got it completely wrong.
  • My best friend from college got married at a country club...it was a very quiet and dignified sort of thing....just as the minister began his blessing, i used the last picture in the roll of film and it began to rewind.

Generally, it's not so bad, but the room was silent (save the minister speaking) and my camera makes this mechanical vibrating sound during the re-wind process....I placed it under the table in an effort to stifle the sound and only succeeded in making it worse and giving the people at my table the giggles and drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

The videographer got the whole thing on tape...and although i was afraid that my friend would be horrified...but she claims that it's her favorite part of the wedding video!
  • Thank you for the laugh today, rad! x:D
  • I have two, from my own wedding:

Sometime between the last fitting and the day of the wedding, I apparently shrunk because I nearly tripped over my wedding gown. If not for the steady hand of my soon to be husband, I would have taken a header onto the marble stairs.

I had a live flower bouquet that kept losing pieces. That isn't the best part; apparently the best man was picking the pieces up and stuffing them into his pockets. When I noticed him doing it, quite nonchalantly, I nearly burst out laughing at a fairly quiet moment when the priest was speaking. Of course we were sitting facing the church pews and all of our guests at the time...
  • During my wedding ceremony, my sister was doing a reading and she hestitated due to the verbage( like a gazelle ... young staggs...) and started giggling well her very young son(my nephew) thought it was the perfect time to laugh at his mother and belted out it took a good ten minutes to get everyone calmed down to continue. This happened minutes after the groomsmen did the wave and my other young nephew recited the alphabet. It was a very eventful day.8-}

It just makes it more memorable.

Good Luck with your son's wedding day.
  • I have a funny reception story, which wasn't so funny back then.

A couple showed up at our reception that we didn't know. They put a "box" on the gift table, then scooted up to the buffet to start eating. We quizzed my parents and my husband's parent to find out whether this was a friend of theirs, but NO.

Considering that these people were obviously crashing our wedding for some free food, I took it upon myself to approach them with one of my brothers at my side.

I didn't ask them very gently, I barged right over there and quite bluntly asked them who they were.

Well, as of today, I still want to smack my parents for not recognizing their old friends from way back when. How embarrassing!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-04 AT 03:52PM (CST)[/font][br][br]When my ex and I were married, one of his groomsmen got sloshed at the reception. We went back to my parent's house to open presents. Someone realized he was gone and an all out search ensued. We found him stripped down to his unders passed out in the bath tub with the shower going full bore. We took pictures.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals! Is this one of the two sons that was stationed overseas?
  • I was at a catholic wedding in Texas. The priest couldn't get the names of the Bride and groom correct - Joseph and Mary!

Even better was the reception. A couple of friends of mine decided to play a prank on the groom, who made the mistake of telling everyone they were staying in the same hotel as the reception. They went to a local Wal-Mart and bought a battery operated doorbell. They bribed their way into the bride & groom's suite and set up the button under the mattress and hid the ringer in the outer room. My friend's were a little "overserved" and did not hear the phone in ther room ring numerous times during the night. Needless to say, the friendship was a little strained for a few months. Mary even thought their room had a camera in it since the doorbell rang any time either of them sat down on the bed.
  • From my wedding: I choose NOT to have my wedding videotaped as I had attended a few weddings where this was very intrusive. A friend of my mother's got wind of this fact and decided that his "gift" to us would be to videotape the event (ugghh.. the only thing more intrusive than a pro, is an amature).. anyway.... we made it through the ceremony and the reception without much ado.. Well the next morning, my parents hosted a quiet breakfast at their country club for all of the out of town guests. They were all up early after a late night and enjoying a very peaceful time together, sipping coffee, nursing hangovers, whatever... He brought his Video camera to the breakfast and began strolling around poking it in everyone's faces. My sweet, generally very calm and full of decorum mother finally had enough.. So my wedding video ends with a zoom in close up of mom smiling sweetly, taking a sip of coffee and then hollaring "get that G-d d-mned thing out of my face!"..picture goes to black. It's a classic in our family.
  • I can't wait - good moments and crazy ones are sure to happen. Yes, Leslie, he was one of the ones in Iraq. He just finished helicopter school in Virginia and is headed to Ft. Campbell, KY the end of this week. Needles to say we are all praying he doesn't get orders with his new unit to go back over!

FYI - when he came home this time (2 weeks ago) I saw him in uniform for the first time since he graduated from boot camp 3 1/2 years ago. I nearly popped my buttons I was so proud. In addition to the normal ribbons, etc. he has his "wings" and a very cool medal and cord from competing with the German army on manuevers in Europe. I'm crossing my fingers he gets married in his uniform!
  • Did he get a neat BROWN flight jacket with those wings? Congrats blw, hope it is lots of fun for you and your family and that he does get married in his uniform. Also glad he is home safe. These stories have been great. Would still like to hear Beagles story about the rental car.? It has to be a classic.
  • Sonny, I don't think the Army does brown leather. I think they're still in the nylon flight jacket mode. x;-)
  • No flight jacket. And thanks for the good wishes!