Over 30? You're dead!

2»

Comments

• Dirt clod fights were great. Just so long as the losers did not start using rocks.
  • Geez. this reminds of something we did, and not so long ago, and we wern't kids! When my daughter was 10 or 11 with a group of kids over playing in the backyard, her mom and I attacked the group with water balloons. They soon discovered our stash (we'd left for them to retaliate) and we had a heck of a good time. We always saved the tubes from wrapping paper, and my daughter and I would hjave pirate sword fights all over the house. At one of her birthday parties, my wife had saved up quite a box full of tubes, and with the help of two other parents, we snuck to the basement and launched a full scale assault on about 15 12 year olds. Most of them grabbed tubes and joined forxces to repel the invaders, but when it was all over and al the tubes bent and torn, we found one little girl cowering in a corner of the closet, scared to death. We felt awful, and I've always wondered if there were something in her familhy, but there didn't seem to be anything to be alarmed about..That little girl would later get a perfect SAT score and a full scholarship to Yale. I hope I didn't somehow scar her for life.
  • Some of the stuff you guys have mentioned, I certainly remember. Growing up in the neighorhood, I was the only girl who was forced to associate with a bunch of boys. I grew up with lots of bumps and bruises, but boy did I learn to take care of myself.

Dirt clod fights, building forts, playing "Bonanza", filling up one of those awful pools with the liners that would pull away and dump all the water out just when you were starting to have a good time, swinging on a rope over the pool "a'la Tarzan", having your friends sleep over on the weekends, riding around and around a driveup on Friday and Saturday nights with a bunch of your friends (that you had just seen in school that day), sneaking your friends who were "grounded" out of the house, getting color TV, seeing the first Man on the Moon.

Those were indeed the days!
  • Hey Rockie in SC, I went to college in Greenville. Anyway, speaking of dirt clod fights, I did have one clod fight where the clod did have a rock inbeded in it. My friend didn't know this of course. It hit me in the head, busted my head open & blood started coming out. I ran home holding my hand over my head, ran into the house and straight to the bathroom.

My mom came running after me and washed off my head and then took me to the emergency room where i received 4 stitches to patch up the hole.

When I got home I was promtly grounded since i wasn't suppose to go to the vacant lot in the first place.

Now-a-days, my parents would have sued his parents blah, blah, blah.
  • Similar thing happened to me when I was about 9. I was playing in the same playground as a group of boys who were playing "Hostages vs. Iranians" . They were throwing soda cans filled with sand and I got hit in the head, blood everywhere, my mother actually had to throw my clothes out, there was no getting all that blood out. The boy who threw the offending can came to the emergency room with a Reeses Peanut Butter cup as an apology.
  • Now there is a real story about responsibility. They really had no idea the potential injury that could result; when it happened he felt sorry; he was scared but followed up personally as best a young boy could; no thought that if he acknowledged he'd caused pain, it might affect his 'liability;' he parted with something of , no doubt, significant value, at least something he valued; and apparently the apology sincerely offered was sincerely accepted, no one sued anyone, and both grew up with a positive memory experience. There's a lesson in there for all of us!
  • apparently the apology sincerely offered was sincerely accepted, no one sued anyone, and both grew up with a positive memory experience. There's a lesson in there for all of us!

Yeah. Apparently there were a lot fewer trial lawyers back then. x;-)
  • My mother was just grateful I was alive, there was so much blood she thought I had been decapitated. And all I got were a few butterfly stiches. I was more traumatized that they had to shave some hair off. Of course I felt better when I got the candy and got to stay home from school the next day.
  • Amazing! I thought rocks were only used in snow balls (Actually, I was told this. From experience, I wouldn't know if it was true ;;) ).