Yet another fired

Sorry folks, not a har har.
In keeping with the New Year's HRhero resolution I am giving the forum an update.
Quite a few of you forumaniacs know of my situation and the ridiculous way my former company handled my termination. Well they recently fired the Grocery Manager who probably needed to go. Nice guy, just not up to doing the job. The current GM hired him under much protest from the senior staff because they had been dealing with him as a vendor for years and knew he wasn't up to it.
This morning I found out that they fired another manager that has been with the company for about 8 years and has excelled in the two departments she managed. She was also not a big fan of the GM and during department meetings when he asked for feedback she would let him know, in an honest but polite way, how she felt. I think that is why she is gone.
I loved my company and it breaks my heart to see it being destroyed. I know I have to move on and I am taking steps to do so.
I just needed to vent to the forum that has helped me so much over the year+ I have been visiting here.
Cristina

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Cristina, my dear forum friend, I mean this with all due respect, but, "move away from the company". I mean this statement in the sense that you would tell someone on a diet to move away from the cookie jar. This company treated you horribly while you were employed and of course, 'cause they knew nothing else, during your termination as well. Mourn the loss, share your loss on the forum, but don't get dragged in to the everyday decisions they make now - you're free. I know it's tough to cut ties to the friends you made & the ins and outs of the company, but it is healthier to do so & it doesn't prolong the mourning period. Don't let them drag you down anymore - you don't need to compare their current dumb decisions to the dumb decision they made when they let you go - to bolster up your self esteem - my friend, they are the dumb ones, we've all said it, NOT you. Go out and spread your wings - search for that great job that all of us have had or currently have ourselves - you're worth it. Much peace and happiness x:-)
  • Ditto to what mwild said! Doesn't your SO work there? Make sure he respects your wishes to not know the goings on and don't discuss work when he gets home either. Vow to spend "quality time" together that has nothing to do with that place.

Best of luck to you in the new year Cristina!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-13-04 AT 01:08PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks mwild and HS. Yeah my SO still works there and it has been harder to separate myself because of that but after a couple of rocky weeks we have settled into this new reality. He actually asked whether I wanted to hear something and, thinking I was over the loss, I said "sure" and the info still came as a blow. I'll be sure not to do that again!#o
    I am looking for a new job, but also enjoying some time off.
    Mwild, that post was so anti-bratty! And wonderfully supportive!
    Cristina
    I can't get the darn emoticons working! That little #o was supposed to be a D'oh
  • Christina, sure, the curiosity can get you but its kind of like hearing that a friend saw your ex with a new woman -its something you just THINK you want to hear about. But, in the end, it just makes you feel even more crappy.

Hang in there girl (I'm a girl so I can say "girl" x:D )
  • It must be hard, but everyone is right. You must move on. I want to wish you the best of luck in your search.

P.S. For your emoticons to work you need to put a small x before your symbols. I hope this helps. x:D
  • Yep...as Judge Judy says "Put a period and move on". The more you hear, the more you obsess and get angry all over again. Not worth it to your health!

• Your forum buddies are still pulling for you. Having been there, it does take some time for the wounds to heal, and you will often find they surface years later when someone or something reminds you of the company. But good news, as you sharpen your focus on the present and find that next job, you will build fresh memories and meet new challenges and find yourself just as committed to the next company. Good lesson here, be careful not to invest more of yourself into your company than your company invests in you.

We're pulling for you.
  • Very wise advice, Marc!

Here is one of my favorite quotes:

"We should always be booted and spurred and ready to go!" -Montaigne
  • Some of my very worst job experiences - the ones I thought I'd never be able to survive when they were happening - have become not only my greatest learning experiences, but funny stories I've shared on the Forum because in retrospect, the actors and actions were so completely ludicrous!

Enjoy your time off and keep looking forward toward finding a great new position. Eventually, everything will settle into its proper perspective.