Educating the young'uns

I have an opportunity tomorrow to speak to a group of HS kids about what employers expect from their employees. It is part of an education program sponsored by a local county funded agency. I give several tours to school kids each year and enjoy talking to them and answering their questions, so this is something I am used to doing. I plan to talk about subjects such as attendance, respect for co-workers, conduct, etc. There will be a question and answer period in addition to my little lecture. I was just wondering if you had an opportunity to address a group of young people who would be entering your work force within the next couple of years, what message would you emphasize?

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I recently read an article concerning high school students and ethics. It talked about the alarming rise in the number of teenagers that had lied to their parents, cheated on a test, stolen items from a retailer and lied on an employment application. Guess if I had your opportunity I would include an admonishment on ethical conduct.
  • Great topic, Ray. I too have done this in the past since many of my employees are these very young'uns just entering the workforce.
    Along with the topics that you've named I also talk about interviewing tips.
    Just basic things like how to dress for interviews, filling out applications, body language and how to conduct yourself in interviews.
    It's amazing how many interviews I've done where the young person doesn't have the first notion about these things. It's really sad (and frustrating)when I see some of these kids wearing what they wear to interviews or their application is not filled out properly, or it's all crumpled up.
    Yes a lot of it is common sense, but we all know that common sense is now an endangered species.

I could go on and on. Have fun and remember that
    most have short attention spans thanks to MTV. x:D

• HRsage, the previous three years I shared responsibilities with another local employer teaching classes at a local HS on writing resumes and interviewing skills. I taught the interviewing portion. Very interesting and a good experience and good for the community.
  • Honesty, dependabilty, honesty, reliabilty, responsibilty, honesty, appearance, honesty
  • I have similar presentations regularly. I try to import something new each time and will incorporate Popeye's suggestion for sure. I always start with the assumption that one or more of them does not know the basics, so I emphasize: being on time, job duties, responding to supervision, calling in, grooming, diversity, organizational structuring, being continually available for training, asking for assignments, employee evaluations and their value, internal politics, job stress, the importance of building a resume day by day on the job. All of these can't be hit in an hour, but 6 or 7 can be. The one I've just incorporated is 'Doing Your Homework Before An Interview' which emphasizes the value of reading websites, finding out how many employees are employed there and something about what the company makes or does before you show up for an interview. For years I was amazed at the 'wrong' things my own children were taught about the workplace and the assinine things said in class by college professors whom we assumed were properly educating them. A good icebreaker is to have the teacher select three students ahead of time to dress for class as if they are going for an interview hoping to be hired and another three who are going for an interview hoping not to be hired. Each one makes one opening statement to the interviewer. Then let the class spend 10 minutes analyzing their appearance and remark with your guidance. Lastly, leave the horn at home.
  • My sister is 19 and one thing I always tell her is that its ok to make mistakes and if you know you made one, you should tell your boss rather than have him or her find out some other way. I think it takes some courage to do that but it speaks volumes about one's integrity.
  • Interesting Rad, I just finished "negotiating" this year's raise plan with the Procurement Director. He started the conversation telling about one of his buyers he just chewed out because he has a habit of holding back bad information or hiding his mistakes until it is too late or it creates further problems. Well, that particular buyer was on my radar in the raise plan. Needless to say, when I opined that the director was trying to give too much in his upcoming increase, he had to readily concede. Hiding mistakes cost this guy money in his pocket.
  • Some great suggestions so far. The one not yet mentioned that it is a recurring theme for me is having a strong work ethic. It is the foundation for a lifetime of good work habits.
  • My theme would be: "There are no free-rides at work."

Not that every teenager takes one at school, but if they've ever made up an excuse for not turning in a paper on time. If they've ever wheedled out of a class or an assignment, if they've ever put a guilt trip on a teacher - "Oh, come on Mr. French, you're such a good teacher & I tell all my friends so, couldn't you please let this go." If they've ever skipped a class or several. If they really like having a spring break, a summer break, a winter break, a teacher's break - they need to understand that it all ends on graduation day & the minute they enter the work force. It all ends because no longer is it all about THEM & what's best for THEM in regards to their education, it's all about the PRODUCT & getting the PRODUCT to the customer & you either show up, produce to compete or you get left behind.

Can you tell that I have a way with teenagers?

Good luck Ray & have fun!
  • Work ethic is the biggest thing in hiring entry-level employees. I have had more problems getting employees new to the work force, to actually show up and work. The technical aspects of a job are much easier to teach then to instill a good work ethic.
  • Encourage them to find a job that they are passionate about and not worry about the money.

• I appreciate everyone's input. I've printed out this thread and highlighting key points and I'm going to tell the students what my colleagues around the country think. I had started making some notes using our annual evaluation form and the standard of conduct statement from the ee manual as a basis for my outline. Your comments, particularly dealing with ethics, attendance and performance, are all addressed in those two documents. I think Don pretty well summed up all the ideas in this statement: "being on time, job duties, responding to supervision, calling in, grooming, diversity, organizational structuring, being continually available for training, asking for assignments, employee evaluations and their value, internal politics, job stress". And I liked Mwild's idea of no free rides. All were good posts - thanks for the help.
  • Did any of them ask you why you had that bassoon hanging from your left hip?
  • How dare you assume I would associate myself with a bassoon? About the only thing worse than a bassoon to a low brass player is the oboe. BTW Don, I'd tell you what oboe is in French with the pronunciation, but the post would be deleted.

Seriously, the meeting with the students went very well today. There were about 8 kids there ranging from 16 to 19. To qualify for the program they must be disadvantaged, meaning from poor families, having some kind of disability, in trouble with the law, or dropouts. The kids were well behaved and even stayed awake. I used a lot of your ideas and I think my thoughts were well received. A friend from the local Job Service accompanied me and he made a closing statement telling them that everything I told them they were able to accomplish regardless of their past - that nothing I presented was beyond their reach. I think it was a very productive hour. Thanks again for your contributions.

• Thats great Ray. Hopefully you've got them on their way to breaking the vicious cycle so may disadvantaged families find themselves in.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-08-04 AT 09:17AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sorry for the late response, but did you by chance let them know that if their doorknob falls off their house and they can't get out to get to work, they should at least try a window? - That would have been my piece of advice, from experience.

x;)
  • I'm too late with this Ray, but for next time...

If you don't know or aren't absolutely sure what to do, ASK! If your supervisor treats your questions as stupid, find a better job.

If you will be late, think you might be late, or won't be in at all, PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL.

Apply for jobs that excite you or at least interest you. What are your hobbies? Apply for jobs that somehow fit those.

Treat your employer with the same respect you want people to treat your mother. Your employer should return the favor.
  • How to apply and interview for a job!! th-up

I did this once by having the kids do a skit. I chose my actors, and gave them the scenario - first, what NOT to do, and then finally, what they SHOULD do. Afterwards, we would discuss everything, and how they perceived the two different candidates. We also discussed the importance of finding a company that they are interested in working with, not just finding "any" job.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

St. Cloud Proud
  • Too late for a timely response - but I've found that talking to kids about how to leave a job has been a good topic. I'm amazed at how many kids think it's OK to just stop coming in if they don't like a job. Burning your bridges can start at an awfully young age!

Kim A.
  • Kim, excellent point. Where were you 2 days ago? Since last summer we have hired roughly 150 new entry level ee's with about a 40% turnover. A significant number just never come back and we hear through the grapevine or when they call to reapply that they had found new jobs, but never bothered to tell us. I have had to tell several people in the past few weeks they are not eligible for rehire because they walked out on us and they seem confused because in their own minds they left under good circumstances since they were not fired.
  • Ray: I'm surprised you haven't tackled this upfront, at the point of hire. We have almost zero turnover with regular staff, however,we were having this problem with temps. They would just quit showing up. I started meeting one on one with each of them as they came on with us and simply asked that if they were going to quit, to just please tell the supervisor they won't be back. No hard feelings. Just let us know. Also told them that rather than quit, if we are doing something wrong or that upsets them or they think something could be handled better that is making them want to quit, simply let me know and we would be glad to discuss it. I started this about three months ago and we've yet to have another temp surprise us by simply disappearing. We've had a few announce their intention to quit; but it hasn't put us in a tailspin scrambling to replace them like before.