adding insult to injury

I did the "guess I should have known thread", so some of you may be familiar with my situation.
Some of you may also know that my SO worked with me at my former company, which is one of the reasons I did not pursue a lawyer, as many of you advised.
My SO called me just now to ask me if he could go to the company holiday, winter, completely PC party x;-).
The irony is that we have'nt had a party for three years now even though there were many requests for one.
I planned the last one.
During that party was when my SO and I met.
I think I'll milk the guilt factor and get some long ignored chores done around here between now and then.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are guests invited or is it just for ee's? If guests are invited, are you going?

BTW, I was not one of the ones who urged you to seek legal counsel, I suggested you think it through carefully and decide what your motivation was for pursuing any recourse. I like it when I'm right.x;-)
  • I still think pursuing counsel is the right thing to do in this situation (but then, I'm accustomed to lawyers sticking their noses into everything), but you should do what feels right for you in your particular set of circumstances (I had forgotten that your SO worked for the same company - even though I'm sure I don't need to tell you that retaliation against him for any action you've taken would be equally illegal). Personally, I think if guests are invited you should go to the party -- that should make everyone nice and uncomfortable. x:-)
  • Ya'll are going to think he is a big jerk, which is debateable right now, when I tell you that in order for him to go I have stay at home with his young son!
    Oh Ray, savor the moment!x;-)
    Parabeagle, they worship the ground he walks on there so I doubt they would have done anything to him. It was the strange winces, sighs, and a multitude of gulping noises emitting from the poor dear when I would grumble about lawyers that made me take pity on him.
    A Curse on their party!x}>
  • Don't validate Ray's being right, FHR - you'll only encourage him... x;-)
  • Beagle, go back on vacation.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-11-03 AT 02:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Forget the party. Why would you go where you're not wanted? But don't sit at home and don't babysit. If your SO wants to go, he needs to make arrangements to take care of his son. Call some friends and meet them for dinner. Make it a great evening for yourself.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I agree with Margaret that you should not 'fret' over this 'party thing'. You know that you don't want to go. I'm surprised that your SO would feel he needed to call you to ask if he could go. Or was he calling to verify his babysitter's availability?

I disagree with PB that to 'retaliate against him for your actions would be illegal'. Not so. But if he's a crucial ee maybe they'll leave him be. As I recall, when last we tuned in you were waiting patiently for a contact from the board of directors. I thought then as now that you will never have such a contact. It's not in the cards. Nothing personal. For business reasons, they have to distance themselves from a terminated employee unless they are trying to build a case against the terminator, which apparently they aren't.

Just to show what a sport you are, and to ensure that your SO has a grand time at the event, press a bit of limburger cheese into the side pocket of his blue blazer as you stand on your tiptoes to kiss him goodbye for the evening. And if you have pets, a strategically pressed little ball of poop up against the heel of his shoe will make the party go even better. If he stands around the punchbowl most of the evening, this ought to cancel any thoughts of next year's event. Who knows, he may even be home earlier than expected. (I'm here to help x:-))
  • You're right, Don. I misread the protections against discrimination based upon association with others based upon their protected class status. Disregard.
  • Good advice Don!
    I did actually meet with the Board and he did take my documentation seriously, I wrote about it on my last thread but it has sunk to the bottom of the har har screen. From what I hear, not through my SO but others, the BOD is taking a rather severe look at managment right now.
    This has actually been a good experience overall. Major shifts are occuring at the old place. Justice actually does happen!
    And yes my SO felt guilty and that is why he asked. I live with him and we have his son over with us during that time. I love the little guy and love spending time with him. I say it's an evening well spent while my dear guy stinks up the party. x;-)
  • I agree with Margaret on the baby sitting issue. Don't talk yourself into it if you don't want to do it.

Don't go to the party and play the "in your face" game.

Do something you REALLY want to do.
  • Ok, we're all wondering - did you go to the Christmas party or babysit (or go "out")?
  • It's on monday. I'll let you know. Still trying to decide.
    Cristina
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-19-03 AT 01:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]It's on monday Beave. I'll let you know. Still trying to decide.
    Cristina
    Sorry for the second post, having technical difficulties with my eyes.

• Personally, I would suck it up and go as the happiest little camper and love watching them all squirm. However , a fun evening with your quasi step son would probably be less stressful. Bottom line, as others have said, think it thru and then do what YOU really want to do.
  • As soon as I was fired I was contacted by the ex store manager who had been " laid off". Word gets around quick. There are so many of us that have been fired or laid off since the new GM started, about 12 of us, I suggested that we all finagle an invite and go together and make the guy really uncomfortable x}>
    Cristina
  • I like how you think Cristina. Wouldn't that make for an uncomfortable "holiday" party.
  • Nope, gonna take the high road. Play monopoly, scrabble and life with my young companion. I am looking forward to it.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Cristina