Best excuse of the day . . .

2»

Comments

• We had an employee who got "locked in" the walk-in cooler for two hours one night. A customer finally heard her calling for help and let her out.

She said she kept "turning the knob" but nothing happened. The "knob" she was referring to was actually a plunger lever... all you have to do is push on it and the door opens.

So, I guess I can believe someone got locked in their own house, because people can be stupid.
  • The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
  • We had a second-shift employee call in to say that he got so into playing computer games with his son that he "just lost track of time." He did come in--two hours before his shift ended and only then because he took a bathroom break from the father/son games, checked his answering machine (his supervisor had called), and looked at the clock! (Yes, he still has his job, but there's a warning in his file now, too.)
  • An employee's mother called in and told us that her son could not make it to work because , "he shot himself in the throat with an arrow."

The next week he came in and showed us his scar.

My other personal favorite...

On the first day of a new assignment an applicant called me and said, "I can't make it to work today, because my baby's momma slashed my tires."

• mjindra - This is a close story, but not an employee excuse. My husband was on a contract in Houston earlier this year and after he checked into his room, he went to leave for dinner....no inside door knob! And being a hotel room, it was the only exit. So he called the front desk and explained the situation and the sent maintenance.

Maintenance arrives and knocks on the door and announces themself. My husband says come in - nothing happens. They knock again and he says come in - nothing happens. They knock the third time and he goes to the window by the door, opens the curtain and says "Come in!!! The door knob is missing and that is why I called.
  • I get a call from an employee telling me they are in the company's parking lot and that they will be late. When asked why, he tells me the door handle fell off and he can't get out of the car. He says he is going to drive to a car repair shop and get the handle fixed. Then I ask the obvious (to me). Can you get out of the car using the passenger side door? After an akward silence he says, "I'll be in to work in a sec." True story. I have been sworn into secrecy not to reveal his identity.