The Format Is Horrible

I know I'm not the only one who thinks this new format is horrendous. I posted on the 'how to' section, but it's gone unnoticed. And who is that woman at the top of the page with the terribly bad hair day? I think her finger is in a light socket. James must be trying to fix it so we can see the subject areas at the same time we run the Forum. But whatever happened to maximize on the Forum. It doesn't seem to work. The pukey brown print on the menu can't be politely described. At least James could tell us he's on it. And don't tell me that's James at the top of the page.

Comments

• 92 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Looks to me like they still have some bugs to work out with the new format. That said, as an old guy, I find change difficult, specially if the change does not appear to offer any discernable benefit. Do they have an undo button?
  • By God~ I believe that is James up there! Seriously, I hate this too. I can't get rid of the @#3$% blue box at the left of the screen so I can see what the heck I am typing!
  • All morning I've been just fine, and was going to post that the new format is weird, but guess we'll get used to it. Now, I've got the blue box and the side where you can't read the subjects and can't see the left side of what you're typing when you are trying to post. So any typos are truly not my fault. x:o
  • Are you sure it's James fault. Haven't you noticed they have a new boss (Daniel M. Oswald). Site worked well until Mr. Oswald took over.
    To add to the problems, I haven't been able to get onto some threads because of this Ugly blue box on the left side of my screen. Don't know if it's a glitch or they're out to get me. And they are out to get me!!! By the way, changing from a working format to a *&^% format brings out the paranoia in me. I'd use an emotion icon to show how I feel, but they won't let me access it. So, I guess I'll just have to get into the fetal position, hug my stuffed hippo and suck my thumb. I just loving having senior moments.
  • How do you make that damn box on the left go away. This new format has made me curse a streak of words that no sailor or truck driver could match! Good thing I have an office with a door.
  • Don't you think they could get in trouble with the red bullseye - when I first saw the new format - I thought I had accidently logged onto a Target website. I'm trying to stay cool with the changes until they're complete - like road construction though - it sure would have been nice if they could have made the changes at night rather than during the day.
  • I have not heard this much whining from Forumaniacs since I was in the AF and they stopped serving steak and lobster in the dining hall on Friday night. I'm sure everything will be hunky-dory in no time at all. I have confidence in the technobabbleologists. x:-)
  • I thought it was my computer since we often have pc problems. Do you think they could make the type in the subject of "Your Message" any smaller?
    Hopefully this is just a trial?
  • I love it, this new format is great.
  • Looks like the blue bar issue has been handled.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-03 AT 03:02AM (CST)[/font][p]I reckon we'd all be more upset if it wasn't working at all! I can't live without the Forum, I've become addicted!

I do need to find my glasses that I discarded years ago to read some of the teeny-weeny printing, but if I squint, then it looks like I'm concentrating hard on my work. Ya right!

But is anybody else seeing a blue paragraph, then a black paragraph, or is it just me? What's the point of that?

P.S. James, we do appreciate you!

• Yes I am seeing it too. And this is the first time I am noticing how small the type is in subject. We do appreciate you James but can you tell us a little bit more about WHY you are doing this? I think there has only been one positive response amongst dozens of negatives.
  • One more negative. I'm wearing the 'right arrow' button out. Anytime you click on a new screen, you have to shift the whole thing over so you can read what's hidden behind the right margin. The text box gets smaller, the font gets smaller, the font color is multi, brown discourages thought, blue on the left is an assault on our intelligence. If we want to see the blue menu, we know where to find it. We don't need to be slapped upside the head with it constantly. Please fire whoever decided to repaint the kitchen when it had the best food in town. I'm sure some guru in TN at ML Smith will now shout down from the clouds, "But, we know what's best for you."
  • Hey! Who's screwin with the Forum?? You better get your act together or we will find someone who can undo your doings. HR people are good at that...... Hiring AND Firing!
  • Don D,

The issue of having to scroll to the right should now be fixed for any computer that has a screen resolution of 800 x 600 or higher. Any thread that has already been visited will most likely have to be "refreshed" to fix the issue.

We are still working on a few things and apologize for any frustration caused by the transition.

Jim Robb
    Electronic Publishing Manager
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    [email]jrobb@mleesmith.com[/email]
  • Do something about that woman. She's giving the rest of us females a bad name.
  • Actually Deez, I was just being a contrarian to the rest of the posters. The banner at the top with the picture of the woman that Don likes so well, makes each screen longer to download. And I thought the same thing as another poster, that I was reading a Target advert. It is flashier, but sometimes simple is better.

My only big complaint is now I have to log in every time I enter the forum. I'm no longer automatically logged in. Maybe, this is their way of reducing our silly posts - it takes too long and we will give up.
  • What the heck is with the two colors in the same section?? I was out for one day and the forum goes to heck...What gives?
  • New name to me as well. Also they have a new president. Something tells me this was their idea. I also hate the stupid banner at the top and the dumb yellow box with the red target. It seems to be slowing everything down. So AGAIN why, why,why? Classic case of fixing something that aint broke perhaps? Is new management trying to shake things up? Well you've sc$%^d up miserably so far! Listen to the forumites!
  • Don D,

Sorry, as it has been many years since I have posted I should have introduced myself. I am the Electronic Publishing Manager and have been in charge of the "nuts and bolts" of the website (making the servers run and programming) since it's inception in 1996. I have enjoyed your posts for quite some time.

As James has been out sick and others who usually post had not yet made it in I merely wanted to let you know that one of the issues, having to scroll right and left, had just been addressed. As always we welcome all comments and suggestions and strive to make the forum experience an enjoyable one for all. We appreciate your patience during this transition.

Jim Robb
  • Why is the print small in some posts and larger in others? I just can't read that weensy print. Can't you change it back to larger print. Please, please, please!

Elizabeth
  • Jim, it appears that my posts are eventually getting posted, but now you have me in Ohio. Isn't this driving you nuts??

Elizabeth
  • Everyone count to 10 and give them some time. Poor James is sick and not around to defend himself. (Not that any excuse is going to help here.) Okay back to complaining.
  • I think something much more sinister is going on here, boys and girls. New owner? New name? James "sick?" I think we've got a coup de'tat on our hands! x;-)
  • The format is great but the Emotion Icon short cuts do not work!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CHANGE THE FONT - IT'S TOO LITTLE - CHANGE THE FONT!!!! Man! I know some of us are taking the heat for complaining/whining, but GIVE ME A BREAK! Change the font - it's too little - it's normal size with some posts, but then switches to teeny tiny.
  • Mwild, do you have any suggestions? What about font size? Do you think maybe they could make it larger?

How does Beagle add the emotion icons if the rest of us can't?
  • ray a,

I think we have the issue of changing font sizes worked out except for cases where the messages has been edited. I'll have that fixed shortly. With that fixed you should be able to choose a larger font size on your browser. For Internet Explorer choose Text Size from the View menu and select the next size up in the list.

Let me know if that works for you.

I'm sure that Beagle made the emotion icon because she rememberd the code that is used to create it. ie colonDD makes the dancing person. :DD We'll have that fixed soon also.

Jim Robb
  • I'm sure that Beagle made the emotion icon
    >because she rememberd the code that is used to
    >create it. ie colonDD makes the dancing person.
    >:DD We'll have that fixed soon also.
    >
    >Jim Robb
    >Electronic Publishing Manager
    >M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    >jrobb@mleesmith.com

Uh, not to put too fine a point on it, Jim, but for the record, Parabeagle's a guy - I know him personally :DD

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-12-03 AT 10:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sorry about that. I'm sure there are deep seeded psychological issues that lead me in that direction but I don't think we have a forum section for that. x0:)

I think the emotion icon link should be working now too. Let me know if ya'll (my quaint southern accent) have any trouble with it.

Jim Robb