This is funny...

Actual Analogies and Metaphors Found in High School Essays

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently
compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like
underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy
who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those
boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high
schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those
boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just
before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of
his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly
surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling
ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled
with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie,
surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy
comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the
grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left
Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19
p.m. at a speed of 35mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that
resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had
also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East
River.

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. "Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a college
freshman on $1-a-beer night.

23. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

24. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

25. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

26. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

27. She was as easy as the TV Guide crossword.

28. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

29. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am in hysterics, like an hysterical clown but without the face paint and big shoes.
  • Those are hilarious!

I really needed that today! Thanks!
  • I'm like a deer caught in the headlights, only I don't have fur, or hooves and I don't walk on all fours, or live in the woods.

xB-)

Cyndy

• This is cracking me up, like when you see the plumber bent over fixing the pipes.
  • I know I'm late checking in. But late is better than never. This is hilarious. My kind of humor if ever I saw it. I'm back up off the floor in the chair now, like a piece of liver dropped while being peppered and flowered, but retrieved and, having looked around to see who was watching, laid back in the middle of the rest as if it had always been there on the plate beside the other fat glistening pieces. I almost split my sides, as might the aged spandex britches of a hefty cousin, who, having eaten four chops over the limit, still squeezed in one more for good measure. RAD has truly outdone herself with this post. This will go down in history, sort of like old stuff written in books, tho' not quite smelling like old books, but slightly better since it was written in a fresh new kitchen with day old bread just ready to take out.
  • Don, mind if I submit your post to James Kilpatrick as examples of horrible similies? He just might publish you and mention me as the submitter in his column "The Writer's Art" when he does his annual simile series.
  • Gee whiz Don, I'm blushing x:-8 . My cheeks are so red, like a, like a... oh well, I didn't do so well with this in school. Oh, wait, they are red like the blood that spurts from your finger when you get a deep paper cut and it hurts like heck and you have to try to ignore the incessant stinging for hours but end up crying to anyone who will listen that you have the WORST papercut...how's that?

Yes it is Sunday night and I'm checking in because I'm off work for the next two days. Tuesday is a holiday in MA so I gave myself a nice extra long weekend.
  • Enjoy your holiday RAD. I suppose it's Veteran's day, November 11, a Federal holiday that I used to get for many years, and I spell it with a capital V out of admiration for them. If you can't go down to the town square and sit around with all the old guys in double knit pants with their VFW hats on, then at least salute them sometime during the day and know that they paid a sacrifice for your and my freedom. I'll do that at my Daddy's grave. If you see one at the mall with a cane, tell him he did good and you appreciate him. It will make his day. Sorta like telling the girl with no teeth at Waffle House that her's were the best pancakes you ever ate in your life. And pay no attention to Ray, who loves to sneak up on me and irritate me just like a pimple on my butt in the 8th grade, without consideration whatsoever for the fact that if I shifted in my chair to scratch it, the teacher would wop me with a plastic ruler.
  • I hated getting hit with those rulers! If they caught me on the arm just right, they made a terrible "whack", as if I was a public swimming pool, and the ruler was an overweight man doing a belly-flop only minutes after complimenting a toothless Waffle House waitress on the three orders of pancakes he just ate.
  • I am absolutely shaking with barely surpressed laughter, and I'm not even gonna try to come up with something funny right now. My hand is over my mouth, my eyes are tearing.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!